Cat Neuter

Jvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 4 month kitten just got neutered and is doing pretty well. The vet however was very vague about after care and I had to resort to Wikipedia for my q&a. I found out I'm not suppose to use any litter that creates dust. I shredded paper made his box up with that but he won't use it. He goes in seeming like he has so go but just meows and walks out or gets distracted and starts playing with it. I went out and bought "worlds best litter" it said it's 99% dust free but I felt it and there was so much dusty residue on my hand from the bag. I mixed it with the paper shreds but no luck. Help?! I don't want him to be in any more frustration than he already might be with the neuter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I never got any special litter when I had my cats spayed and neutered. It worked best to just stay with the litter they already used. Some litters claim to be dust free, but I have yet to find one that lives up to that billing.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does your kitten have to wear a cone? I've never had to change the litter for the cats I've had neutered, but my vet doesn't put cones on them so they are able to keep themselves clean.

If the surgery scar is stitched up and your cat can keep himself clean I don't think it will be a problem.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Jvin, welcome to TCS :wave3:

It’s ok to use the litter that he’s been using. As long as he does not sit on the litter, not much dust will get on his surgical site.

Don’t worry so much about it. Just make sure you pat the surgical site with a piece of warm lightly damp towel and keep it dry after each time he uses the litter box.

Think about the strays and feral cats that are neutered and spayed, they live outdoors and are released immediately after the surgery and all of them got off well with no one wiping their bums.

Ah, MOD Norachan is one step ahead of me while I was typing the reply.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does your kitten have to wear a cone? I've never had to change the litter for the cats I've had neutered, but my vet doesn't put cones on them so they are able to keep themselves clean.

If the surgery scar is stitched up and your cat can keep himself clean I don't think it will be a problem.
They didn't put a cone on him and they didn't stitch him up either. His normal litter is arm and hammer slide should I just switch him back to that?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't change the litter type (Ökoplus, which is wood-based) or use cones at the shelter. Despite the large number of cats being spayed/neutered, I've seen <1 cat a year have any problems, and those times ripped stitches in females caused the trouble.

Just switch him back to what he's used to and keep an eye on his scrotum this week.