Cat litter? Quick question...

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if Cat Litter expires or not?

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GooseGoose

I was just wondering if Cat Litter expires or not?
If you buy it ... fresh ... at the store and clean out your litterbox completely at least once per month w/1 part bleach and 32 parts water, rinse completely, dry super-completely and re-fill with new litter - the litter should have no reason to expire. (There are different kinds of litter that need to be cleaned every day; others that you can keep the box clean for up to a month before bleach cleaning)

Or are you talking about, like, getting litter from a Freecycle or something?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gotten a few litters in past that had no real scent-I think they were stored in high humidity before being sold as I have seen that happen when I stored a bucket of litter upstairs and left it there all summer.

But in general no-just make sure its not clumped already(returned a 40lb box that was mostly clumps
)

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"I have gotten a few litters in past that had no real scent"

I always buy litter that has no scent, my cats prefer no scent so they can tell where their own smelly poo/pee is to cover. hee

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many different types of litters, but the shelf life for even the organic litters (corn/wheat/pine) are so long when sealed as to be a non-issue.

Litter replacement will depend on the type/brand of litter used. Clumping litters will last the longest.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had less cats I bought unscented. Heck I bought the non clumping and dumped the tray daily or more often. Man those bills were low!

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallaround

When I had less cats I bought unscented. Heck I bought the non clumping and dumped the tray daily or more often. Man those bills were low!
Yeahhh, I have been thinking for a long time about giving that a try. I have ten cats... BUT, there is never any smell. I have 5 super jumbo boxes that I clean twice a day (I have a rug in front of each one and plastic place matts all around for extra sand-kick-a-lidge(?) lol, so it keeps down on daily vacuuming (thank God).

It's just that my cats like to diggggggggggggggggggg dig dig and kick and dig and kick and dig, etc., etc., so I haven't decided yet. It never smells the way I'm doing it (2x/day; more if necessary which hasn't been the case since they're laxy like their mom and like to take naps like their mom.

But unscented has helped immensely for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to stock up on unused cat litter and to make sure the stuff does not expire if I have it in storage? I always use unscented, clumping, cat litter.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh man - wish I could stock up - it's so danged heavy. I would hire someone to carry a big supply if I could!

I need a cat-roadie!

What a great idea!