Cat leash/collar

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so after searching a lot with google and asking people around me I still could not figure a solution for my cat .
her name is peach she was always an indoor cat she's three years old now I moved in a condo she likes to hang out outside on the front door because before we used to have a balcony it was her Escape but now I have to put her on a leash and leave her sometimes outside but she does not love the leash so I use only a collar around her neck and attach her with like 9 m cable but some friends tells me it's dangerous because with just a collar she could choke if nobody watches her ( well iv been leaving her outside alone with only a collar she is always calm and more comfortable with just a collar) but she doesn't like the whole leash the complete leasg that goes on the belly and the neck she really doesn't adapt to it so what should I do.
Just keep doing what I do attach her collar with a long cable so she can hangout infront of door or try and force her to adapt to the leash for cats?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PXL_20200922_223956813.jpg

Sorry for double post not all my pictures posted here is the rest
PXL_20200927_213658996.jpg

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Welcome to TCS! :hithere: New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles
Peach is such a beautiful girl!
Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles
I would definitely recommend getting a harness for her. Also, I would make sure that she is supervised every time she is outside.
If you're willing to spend money, perhaps one of these might be helpful: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B37WUXI/?tag=thecatsite.
Hopefully this helps. Feel free to ask ANY questions at all you may have :)

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Welcome to TCS! :hithere: New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles
Peach is such a beautiful girl!
Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles
I would definitely recommend getting a harness for her. Also, I would make sure that she is supervised every time she is outside.
If you're willing to spend money, perhaps one of these might be helpful: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B37WUXI/?tag=thecatsite.
Hopefully this helps. Feel free to ask ANY questions at all you may have :)
Thank youu so much for fast reply but should I get a harness or a leash ? Because I am not planning on walking with her..just infront of door. Since she is not vaccinated ( lack of money very expensive) id rather keep her really just infront of house I will get a harness since I dont want her to choke but your article talks about walking the cat...ill start training her for leash

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
..its gonna be really difficult since she does not like us to hold her...we only pet her but she really doesnt like us to hold her she is a female never nurturey

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a leash will attach to a harness, so you'll have to use both. I would definitely, definitely neuter/spay her... Or, honestly, I'd say keep her inside until she's fully vaccinated and spayed. I completely understand that it's expensive to do that, but it's crucial. Not spaying her could potentially lead to tumors and/or cancer and lessen her lifespan. Some vets provide discounts if necessary, so that could be something to look into. How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed – TheCatSite Articles
That being said, getting a cat into a harness isn't always easy. Reading through this thread might help you: Started training Flamme on a harness
Not all cats will tolerate it, and it's important to be patient when trying to leash train a cat.
Also, another option is (and I know you might not want to hear this, so hear me out) just keeping her inside. It may take some getting used to for both you and Kitty, but staying inside is technically the safest option.
However, if you two both really want her to go outside, that is totally fine, just make sure you're keeping an eye on her the whole time.
Again, I hope this helped a bit, and feel free to ask ANY other questions! ❤

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have decided to just use a collar around her neck yesterday I saw her Savage side.
First of all we can never touch her lower body it's very sensitive yesterday I tried to remove her harness I had no problem removing the clip around her neck but as soon as I try to remove the clip around her belly she started to run around the house while the cable was still attached and you know cats when she saw the cable following her she started to panic and she started to run around and destroy the whole house I had a hard time trying to remove her harness so I finally decided to never ever use hardness to let her enjoy the Sun in front of the door. spaying is an option is not necessary.
Why would it cause some problems since it's natural to have sex and reproduce.
Every cat is special every cat has his own personality his own world
I know my cat she doesn't need spaying because I'm planning to make babies since she's very beautiful.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I am sorry that you had to deal with that. Please remember that harness training requires a lot of patience. Honestly, I am going to put this bluntly: I do not reccomend putting her on a collar and line like that. I would, at this point, ecourage you to just keep her entirely inside.
I completely understand your wish to breed and I do not at all mean to interfere, but spaying is very neccesary. If you really have your heart set on breeding that is great, but please make sure you're doing it correctly.
It would mean a lot to me if you would takr the time to read this article, as it explains what I am trying to far better than I can. Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles.
If, after that article you are still set on breeding her, please do your research. Does she have a pedigree? Is she registered? These are crucial if you intend to breed her and sell her kittens.... Most people who are looking to buy from breeders are looking for only purebred kitties.
Breeding is a difficult process, that being said, it is certaibly possible.
I am going to tag posiepurrs posiepurrs who has experience in breeding cats to see if she has any words of wisdom for you.
I also suggest that you read through the "Showing and Ethical Breeding" forum, as well the "Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum."
We have so, so,so many skilled people on here who can help you. I also thibk it would be very helpful to post a thread in one of those forums to get words of wisdom from people who are much more skilled in this topic than I ever will be.
If you are not planning on spaying her, I still reccomend that you vaccinate her.
Have a wonderful day, and God bless.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure she is a beautiful cat but breeding isn't as simple as putting 2 cats together and letting nature take its course. I am not trying to tell you what to do - only what I WOULD do. If she isn't a pedigreed cat that can contribute to the gene pool I would spay. There are thousands of mixed breeds that need homes, so I would not add to the numbers. I would also consider the possibility of problems. It can be very expensive to breed. Our last litter had to be delivered by C-section and that bill wasn't cheap! It is true if you are experienced with birthing sometimes you can help if a kitten is stuck, but if I had a girl who reacted like your cat did with the leash, chances are she isn't going to let my help birth a kitten - you could possibly lose the kitten and maybe even the mother. Then there is a possibility of developing a infection called.pyometra. This can be a life threatening infection. It develops in unspayed cats and even sometimes in pregnant cats.I have dealt with it 4 times. The only way to prevent it completely is by spaying.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I am sorry that you had to deal with that. Please remember that harness training requires a lot of patience. Honestly, I am going to put this bluntly: I do not reccomend putting her on a collar and line like that. I would, at this point, ecourage you to just keep her entirely inside.
I completely understand your wish to breed and I do not at all mean to interfere, but spaying is very neccesary. If you really have your heart set on breeding that is great, but please make sure you're doing it correctly.
It would mean a lot to me if you would takr the time to read this article, as it explains what I am trying to far better than I can. Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles.
If, after that article you are still set on breeding her, please do your research. Does she have a pedigree? Is she registered? These are crucial if you intend to breed her and sell her kittens.... Most people who are looking to buy from breeders are looking for only purebred kitties.
Breeding is a difficult process, that being said, it is certaibly possible.
I am going to tag posiepurrs posiepurrs who has experience in breeding cats to see if she has any words of wisdom for you.
I also suggest that you read through the "Showing and Ethical Breeding" forum, as well the "Pregnant Cats and Kittens forum."
We have so, so,so many skilled people on here who can help you. I also thibk it would be very helpful to post a thread in one of those forums to get words of wisdom from people who are much more skilled in this topic than I ever will be.
If you are not planning on spaying her, I still reccomend that you vaccinate her.
Have a wonderful day, and God bless.
I am not sure why in western culture you make things difficult I remember back in gaza palestine we had many healthy cats around village they make babies naturaly no registration or cat rights since we dont even have human rights... I remember father once put his hands in pockets of his coat he found 3 kitten babies xD its so simple ..she will have sex and get pregnant..no paper work or extra stuff to do..mother nature will do its work without human interference...if she gets pregnant and die that is life ..is she cant get pregnant that is life...but I will never cut her genitals... If she get sick I will go to vet but if she is healthy and happy no need to intervene, my both parents were killed by doctors I dont trust modern day pharmaceutical companies...she us a cat and just like I used to see when I was young ...street cats perfectly healthy we dont even have vents in gaza and cats over there are stronger and healthier. I will read the article right now I will post back to check if that changed my mind..but she is wild she is happy and if problem show up I will deal with it as Stoics do.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...I am also saying I am not 100% sure if or when I can get her a male..I am just saying if she can she will..I understand complications and many cats die just like many humans die..but I am 100% sure I will not cut her genitals..I am just saying I will not give free money to doctors...I will let life do its work and I will do anything to secure a good environment for her..she eats raw I treat her everyday like a princess cause she is ..she is a princess that is why will keep her wild side...she is a female a wild one and I will not modify her body..just like as god created her god will take her back meanwhile I am taking care of her and I am here with her for the rest of her Journey

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly, I ask that you keep an open mind while reading this post, and that you don't get offended by or take any of my words to be harsh. I am not meaning to be rude in any way.

I am not going to tell you what to do with her. She is your cat. However, I wholeheartedly agree with posiepurrs- There are already enough cats and kittens- literally, around 100 million, quite probably more than that- ferals just in the United States. So many of these feral and stray cats are leading horrible lives, hungry, thirsty, and mistreated.

Breeding her will only add to the numbers of cats who are living in horrible, filthy conditions. The reality is that there is no need for more cats to be bred- I understand that in your village perhaps the cats might have been happy (although happy doesn't mean healthy), but that is just one tiny part of the world. I assure you that where I live, there are thousands- millions, even- of utterly miserable cats who exist as a result of inexperienced owners who didn't spay their cats. As a result, there is a massive overpopulation of cats.

As I said, I am not trying to intervene and I'm very sorry if I'm coming across that way.

That being said, in her best interest, to give her a happy and healthy long life, I recommend spaying her. She will live longer, be happier, be MUCH healthier, and so much more.

Thecatsite's members are wonderful people who are very, very highly educated when it comes to cats. Tons of these members ( Jcatbird Jcatbird Elphaba09 Elphaba09 Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose CatladyJan CatladyJan KatMalone KatMalone S Sierra977 ) to name a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of them) have given so, so, so many cats a second chance and rescued countless kitties. I absolutely guarantee that all of these members who know SO much about cats than you or I know would agree- She must be spayed and should not be bred.

By not spaying her and wanting to breed her, you are honestly quite selfishly endangering her life and the lives of her future kittens. I understand wanting to honor God's creation, but God says to take care of his creation and spaying is taking care of her.

I'm very sorry to hear about your parents, but it is not fair to let a couple of bad experiences bias you for your whole life. Vets are not the same as doctors for humans, either.

I'm very, very sorry if I have been blunt or rude, that is not at all my intent. I only wish to properly inform you of the dangers of breeding and not spaying.

I wish you and Peach a great day.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so after searching a lot with google and asking people around me I still could not figure a solution for my cat .
her name is peach she was always an indoor cat she's three years old now I moved in a condo she likes to hang out outside on the front door because before we used to have a balcony it was her Escape but now I have to put her on a leash and leave her sometimes outside but she does not love the leash so I use only a collar around her neck and attach her with like 9 m cable but some friends tells me it's dangerous because with just a collar she could choke if nobody watches her ( well iv been leaving her outside alone with only a collar she is always calm and more comfortable with just a collar) but she doesn't like the whole leash the complete leasg that goes on the belly and the neck she really doesn't adapt to it so what should I do.
Just keep doing what I do attach her collar with a long cable so she can hangout infront of door or try and force her to adapt to the leash for cats?
Oh My! I would just keep her indoors.

1. That cable nor any leash is safe. She could easy become entangled and injured.
2. You are subjecting her to prey
3. Just Spay Her!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure why in western culture you make things difficult I remember back in gaza palestine we had many healthy cats around village they make babies naturaly no registration or cat rights since we dont even have human rights... I remember father once put his hands in pockets of his coat he found 3 kitten babies xD its so simple ..she will have sex and get pregnant..no paper work or extra stuff to do..mother nature will do its work without human interference...if she gets pregnant and die that is life ..is she cant get pregnant that is life...but I will never cut her genitals... If she get sick I will go to vet but if she is healthy and happy no need to intervene, my both parents were killed by doctors I dont trust modern day pharmaceutical companies...she us a cat and just like I used to see when I was young ...street cats perfectly healthy we dont even have vents in gaza and cats over there are stronger and healthier. I will read the article right now I will post back to check if that changed my mind..but she is wild she is happy and if problem show up I will deal with it as Stoics do.
Do you think leaving her tied out for prey and probable injury is letting nature do it's course? 🤷‍♀️

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! :welcomesign::hellosmiley:We here have learned to respect all cultures and know that there are differences in every situation. I can tell you have a great love for her and the beauty of nature. That is something we all understand and do respect. We here cannot know what medical care is like there but I can say that it isn’t always the best here either. My only child suffered from human error. My heart goes out to you.
There are many reasons why people here suggested spay but not all have to do with having kittens. A female cat that gets older can have severe complications and abscess internally. It is not something you want to experience. If you can find someone there you trust to advise you on veterinary care, then let them give you any information you need to prepare her as you see fit. It can be less expensive to do spay than to try and save her later. I simply suggest you talk around and find someone you feel safe with in regards to anything that may ever come up in the future. No surprises later that are unexpected.
The idea of leaving her to be as nature intended and wild is understood. However, from what I understand ,your hopes for her, a collar and attaching her to a tree is not exactly the way you would like to give her some freedom? I don’t know where you live or how this might work but there is something called a CATIO. That would keep her safe but also give her sunshine , fresh air and the chance to be even more free than a collar and lead. A catio is just a screened in framework that is much like a kitty porch. Chicken wire or hardware mesh would keep her from getting out but she could run around inside to play. Sometimes people build these using found pallets, recycled lumber, or an existing porch. Even building one that is attached to a window can work. This would keep her safe from predators, mating ( unless you so choose) close exposure to illness and some hazards.
She is very beautiful and we all hope for you and kitty to have a long and wonderful life together. If you would like pictures of a Catio or other methods used to give kitty safe freedom and play, please do let us know and we will be very happy to assist with more information for you. We can also send more help if you decide to try again with any harness. Some are better than others and some are more comfortable for kitty. Some of my kitties like them and some don’t. It took awhile for me to figure out how to get them to accept a harness but the ones that did love them now. I can send you a picture if you are interested. I think you might smile at one of them. My Lady is quite taken with hers. She came to me as a wild kitty too. Also beautiful, but she won’t let any other cat have her harness. It is something she has claimed for herself. Lol Thank you for the lovely photos of kitty. May I ask her name?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello P Papaganu Welcome to TCS.

We are a pro spay and neuter site, so people will try to explain how much better off your cat will be if she's spayed, but I'm sure our members will try and respect your point of view and do so politely.

:)

Let me try and address a few of your points.

That is quite dangerous. Even though she is happy to sit out there she is quite vulnerable. What if a stray dog or wild animal came along? I'm worried that she could get injured if she's tied up outside unsupervised.
Since she is not vaccinated ( lack of money very expensive) id rather keep her really just infront of house
It is very expensive, I agree, but cats can pick up diseases from the ground. If you can't afford to get her vaccinated it would be safer to keep her indoors or maybe make her a small catio so that she's less vulnerable to other animals and disease. There's still a risk of her getting fleas, ticks or worms, of course, but she would be a little safer in a catio.

Something like this, maybe?

1607502715612.png

I am not sure why in western culture you make things difficult I remember back in gaza palestine we had many healthy cats around village they make babies naturaly
Well, it's not just western culture. We have members from all over the world on TCS. I'm sure you did see healthy cats in Palestine, but you probably didn't notice what was going on behind the scenes. Those of us who care for feral colonies see how many kittens die outside, as well as how sick and injured intact cats become if allowed to breed.

There are so many unwanted cats and kittens in the world, even those born indoors are often euthanized because no one wants them. Please don't add to the problem.

Please remember that domestic cats are not wild animals. They've very different from the African wild cats they descended from. They need our help to stay healthy, just the way dairy cows and pugs do.
my both parents were killed by doctors I dont trust modern day pharmaceutical companies
I'm so sorry to hear that.

:hugs:

I understand that she is a beautiful cat, but I think you need to be more careful with her. You're leaving a female cat tied up outside your house where every passing stray tom cat can get to her. She could get badly hurt trying to get away from male cats. She could get hurt while mating. Outdoor female cats are usually mated with by every intact male cat for miles around. It's not at all pleasant for the female and leaving her tied up so that she can't escape isn't a very natural way of doing things.

She could get FIV or FeLV, which are both fatal diseases spread by cats bites or by mating.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks – TheCatSite Articles

“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all I took the time and read every comment you guys wrote. I really wanted to understand..sorry if I sounded agressive but back then in my original homeland we used to see cats in their natural habitat..they were seriously strong disciplined and trusted humans..they come for food they play with you sometimes sleep at your place but they were not ours they belonged to god ( life ) we had not vets. First time I heard of spaying is when I first came to canada 4 years ago. I ask questions like why would they do that? Cats lose the desire to live how can you make difference between male and female if they have no genitals?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I took the time and read every comment you guys wrote. I really wanted to understand..sorry if I sounded agressive but back then in my original homeland we used to see cats in their natural habitat..they were seriously strong disciplined and trusted humans..they come for food they play with you sometimes sleep at your place but they were not ours they belonged to god ( life ) we had not vets. First time I heard of spaying is when I first came to canada 4 years ago. I ask questions like why would they do that? Cats lose the desire to live how can you make difference between male and female if they have no genitals?
I believe because of the distance between the anus and the penis in a male vs a female. A male still has his penis.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...how can you name her lise or name her peach if they are neither male of female?

But I understand big cities come with complications I am still reading your links about spaying but honestly also why I dont wanna spay her its because I cant!!!
Last time I asked spca ( canada ) if they can spay my cat they said they dont do that anymore cause of covid.
I went to vet he told me she needs vaccine first and guess what? 180$ for one vaccine and she needs 3 vaccine before spaying and its 200$ operation wich means 600+++ to fix her??? Why??

Please anyone from montreal can guide me??? Where can I spay her for under 100$? I am struggling with student debts I sometimes chose to give her chicken and just eat a sandwich for me..I love her so much..from I qas a kid I always took care of cats but fixing her is expensive very expensive!!

Help me with solutions!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
...how can you name her lise or name her peach if they are neither male of female?

But I understand big cities come with complications I am still reading your links about spaying but honestly also why I dont wanna spay her its because I cant!!!
Last time I asked spca ( canada ) if they can spay my cat they said they dont do that anymore cause of covid.
I went to vet he told me she needs vaccine first and guess what? 180$ for one vaccine and she needs 3 vaccine before spaying and its 200$ operation wich means 600+++ to fix her??? Why??

Please anyone from montreal can guide me??? Where can I spay her for under 100$? I am struggling with student debts I sometimes chose to give her chicken and just eat a sandwich for me..I love her so much..from I qas a kid I always took care of cats but fixing her is expensive very expensive!!

Help me with solutions!
Because removing ovaries or testicles does not change the Chromosomes no more so than a woman who has a hysterectomy.

Also you may want to introduce yourself here: New Cats on the Block
and let people know you are looking for someone near you to give you some assistance.

Last edited: