Cat has boogers in one eye only

Farouh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I always find these boogers on the side of his right eye. Sometimes they are dark brown but when i wipe them they stain red like blood or tears and they remove easily with water. They do dry up like crust sometimes. It's been long like this. Maybe more than a year. Cat is 3 years old and mostly healthy and playful. Any ideas what causes them?

Attachments

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl has had eye boogers off and on for the past decade so for her it's normal. Vet said likely allergies but hers do not stain the fur. In fact she went a few months w/o the eye boogers and that freaked me out a bit b/c it was so abnormal!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. While technically a cat's eye should not have any discharge, a small amount of clear discharge, which may dry and sometimes appear slightly brown and crusty, might be nothing to be alarmed about - particularly if seen mostly when he gets up from sleeping. It is generally advised to take a slightly damp, warm cloth and wipe it away whenever you see it.

However, I think if you have any reason whatsoever to think that there is blood involved, then the vet needs to check that eye out - it doesn't matter how long it has been going on. Even cats as young as yours should have annual checkups, so if nothing else ask the vet about it when you take him in for a checkup.