Cat Has Been Missing For 2 Weeks - Please Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although, I did notice that someone elses cat got out recently too. I saw a water bowl and a cat brush outside and it made me sad. My heart goes out to my neighbor who's also missing their furbaby

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I just got some some potentially bad news. I went to class this morning, and someone saw a dead cat at the end of the road. She didn't remember what it looked like, and said maybe black and white. That concerns me. Depending on the side you are looking at my cat, her color can be more prominently black. I'm going to check after school today and I really do hope that it isn't her

Attachments

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We didn't see the cat, so I hope the girls were talking about a neighboring town.
I need some hope again. My mom told me my cat is most likely dead and I need to move on. She wouldn't help me put up flyers saying it was pointless, and said she probably got killed by now. This angers me since I was trying to put flyers up in the possible sighting area, but she wouldn't let me do that. Do any of you have a cat that went missing for a long period of time and came back? I need the hope for the babygirl

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is definitely possible she is still alive. Especially if she was once a stray. I have heard many stories of cats returning after a while. Are you keeping her litter box outside? Food?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read this thread hoping like heck for some good news.
First, I'm sorry your little girl is missing, second, I'm sorry she hasn't come home YET.
Third, be specific on striking markings (white blaze, 3 white feet and a bit patch of tan on her right rear foot, etc.) when describing her. As an example......if I told you I had a sable merle collie dog that was missing, unless you're familiar with collie type dogs, you'd probably be looking for a really rare looking dog. Most sable merle collie dogs to most people look like a white dog with varying shades of red patches of fur. Not rare at all. Sometimes the technical names of these patterns escape people and they're not sure what they're looking for unless they're familiar with the coat pattern, or they have a few really good photos to go on. If you can, tell people she's a calico, and follow up with "a predominantly white cat with big black and tan patches of fur." Because some people don't know what a calico is, and might think of a tortie or a tabby with white paws.
Fourth, it's wonderful that you've left the litter and your scent outside your window. Fourth and a half, the fact you heard a meow and your other cat was watching out the window would make me hopeful. Fifth, and I mean no disrespect, but don't listen to your mothers advice to just move on. You love this cat and are being so responsible with your effort and worry in finding her. Norachan Norachan has had some good information about finding a lost cat. If she's around, she might be able to give you a few more pointers.
Lastly, about a year ago we had a buddy of mine have a cat come up missing. About 7 months later, his cat was discovered about 50 miles away, because some kind person was able to trap this dirty, hungry cat and take them to the vets to scan for a chip. The chip reader identified my buddy, and in about 2 hours, they reunited. Was that ever a celebration :yess: Somehow this cat managed a very harsh winter, crossed a few interstates and a turn pike to get where he was and was skinny and hungry and dirty but very much alive and well.
We ourselves had, years ago, a little cat show up. She was spayed and vaccinated and made herself at home as a barn cat. One day, she came up missing. After a few weeks, we hoped she had moved onto another ranch and tried to imagine she was well. I don't remember how long she was gone, but it was at least a month. We were outside one day and heard a little meow from the brush, long story short, it was her and she was skinny and hungry but healthy as a horse and happy to be back. Well, we're saps and worried about her enough to bring her into the house. She was a fine house cat, her time spent doing whatever it is cats do on these adventures made her integrate easily into the tribe because if any cat started anything, she'd back off and act like they didn't exist because she'd learned (at some point) to not cause trouble.
There is always hope my friend. She may have traveled, but she might be hanging around closer to home than you think. They're elusive and good hiders. In the outside elements, they have to be cautious because they're smart.
Check these things out. 8 years? 10 years? Can you believe it!

Touching moment caught on video of cat reuniting with owner after Camp Fire

Cat is reunited with owner after missing for eight years! | Daily Mail Online

:wave3:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi HollyBells HollyBells I'm so sorry your cat is missing. First of all, don't give up hope yet!

My cats are all indoor/enclosure only, although nearly all of them were feral born and survived outside before they came to me. Two of my girls managed to get out when their enclosure was damaged.

Sophie8.jpg

Sophie got out twice. Once she was gone for six weeks and was eventually spotted by a farmer when he was out in his fields. The second time she got out was in January when we had deep snow and minus 10C weather. She was gone for 4 weeks. A lady who feeds feral cats in the next village, nearly three miles away, found Sophie with her feral colony.

Twinkle32.jpg

Twinkle was also gone for 6 weeks. I have no idea where she went, I spent hours looking for her every day but one day she managed to find her way back home again.

So please don't assume your cat is dead or give up looking for her yet.

Some tips:

Print out some A4 size posters. Picture of your cat in colour and the words, REWARD for any information leading to the recovery of missing cat.

Make sure the word reward is big enough to be read from a few feet away. You don't have to say how much the reward is, you can decide when you get your cat back. (Both people who found Sophie refused the reward, I had to force boxes of cookies on them as they didn't want any thanks)

Leave an e-mail address or text number that is just for your missing cat so you can delete it once your cat is home.

Get some of those clear plastic file holders and some extra strong gaffer tape. Tape the posters inside the plastic folders and stick them up with gaffer tape all the way around so they won't come down again.

Put posters in the back passenger windows of your parent's car. Every time you park in a supermarket or any other public place the chances of someone seeing your posters increases.

Look out for feral cat colonies. Cats are social creatures and they can smell if other cats are well fed, so will follow them to a food source. Your cat could well end up with other colony cats. Put posters up or ask people who feed feral cats to look out for her.

Ask your post man, the guys who collect your garbage, delivery men etc to look out for her. People who do a regular route, often early in the morning, have more chance of spotting a lost cat.

Get the dust from your vacuum cleaner and sprinkle that around the outside of your house and yard. It will smell of home and might encourage your cat to come back.

Also, I know you're going to hate this idea, but dawn is the best time to look for a cat. Could you try staying up all night if you can't wake up for an alarm? Maybe go out and look for an hour around 5 am then sleep later?

Don't listen to your mother. Well, in all other things listen to your mother, but don't listen to you mother when she tells you it's pointless. Keep looking for your cat and don't give up hope.

:goodluck::hangin:

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Catlover579 Catlover579 her litterbox is outside. I did have some foor out for her a bit ago, but it got wet and mushy so I threw it out. I'm going to put some more out when I get home
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 oh wow! Glad to hear both kitties made it home safely. I will definitely check those links out once I get home! Sadly no updates on her :( Hopefully my mom will allow me to put up some more flyers in the possible sighting area tomorrow
Norachan Norachan It's funny that you commented because your post about George was one of the first threads I read! The current flyers I have only say 'Lost Cat!' On them, but I'll definitely put in reward beside it once I get new ones printed off. I just bought 50 clear plastic file holders today, and will definitely use them. I've never thought about putting a flyer in the car, so I'll definitely do that. I have talked to our mail man before but had no luck unfortunately, but I have flyers in my building that they can look at the moment they walk in. I'll definitely try the vacuum cleaner trick too! I'll also attempt pulling an all nighter. It's just rough for me since I'm a college student, and I usually come home completely drained unfortunately

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dusk and dawn are PRIME hunting times for cats. They do this instinctively. Carry your flashlight with you. Eye shine can show you a well-hidden cat! LOOK UP...don't forget trees, although small, dark places are favorite hiding spots.

The longest I've ever had a cat gone who came home safely was EIGHT MONTHS. You are NOT at the point of giving up yet!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's funny that you commented because your post about George was one of the first threads I read!
Even though I never found George I know I did everything I could to try and get him back again. I put posters up everywhere. Even a few years after he disappeared I'd meet new people and they'd ask if I ever found my cat. I think everyone in this town must have seen his picture. It's only a small town, but it was good to know that so many people knew he was missing.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dusk and dawn are PRIME hunting times for cats. They do this instinctively. Carry your flashlight with you. Eye shine can show you a well-hidden cat! LOOK UP...don't forget trees, although small, dark places are favorite hiding spots.

The longest I've ever had a cat gone who came home safely was EIGHT MONTHS. You are NOT at the point of giving up yet!
Thank you for this. I really needed it. Today marks week 4, and I've been pretty down because of it. No recent sightings, and it saddens me. I do hope she's still out there and will soon come back This has taken a huge toll on my mental health, and just yesterday I broke down crying for 3 hours straight while looking at old pictures and videos of her. Praying she'll safely come home soon

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even though I never found George I know I did everything I could to try and get him back again. I put posters up everywhere. Even a few years after he disappeared I'd meet new people and they'd ask if I ever found my cat. I think everyone in this town must have seen his picture. It's only a small town, but it was good to know that so many people knew he was missing.

Good luck, please keep us posted.
I'm sorry he never returned. I hope someone took him in, and that he still remembers all the love you gave him. Thank you, and I will! This thread is definitely one of the few things that is keeping me going, and I always look forward to seeing a response. It's nice knowing others have gone through the same thing I have, and that people care about my situation

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is always the possibility that some kind soul, thinking she was "just a stray," has taken her in, as well. I think that's what happened with my boy who was gone for so long. And when he had a chance, he came home again.

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do think that's possible. If that did happen, I just wish they'd take her to the vet. She is microchipped, and I would get to see her again. In 2 days will be a month, and it's really affecting me. I no longer can look at pictures of her without breaking down and crying. It's killing me not knowing what happened to her

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I grealty appreciate it. I'm holding out for as long as I can, but I'm not sure how much longer I can do this

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may very well come home yet. Meanwhile, your subconscious is very slowly adjusting to the fact that she might not. You do it until that suconscious settles the matter without you. Just hang in, don't give up hope, and let your "hindmind" do the heavy lifting.

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying. I really am. I'm just so incredibly saddened over the fact that I live in a farming community with lots of open fields, trees, and lakes. She could be anywhere. I out her litterbox out tonight once more (we've gotten a lot of rain recently, so I put it by my door instead.) Hoping for some good luck soon. School will be ending in a few weeks, and the thought of me leaving without her is killing me