Cat Has Been Missing For 2 Weeks - Please Help

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm new here and didn't know who else to turn to. My cat, Juni (Juniper), has been missing since March 26th at 10pm. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so incredibly distraught, and I feel like giving up. I searched for an hour all with a few others the night she disappeared, and had no luck. I've only had one potential sighting, and the bad westher keeps knocking my flyers down, and I unfortunately won't geel comfortable putting any more up until the freak blizzard (I'm in Minnesota) on Thursday passes. She was a stray prior to me adopting her, so I hope she knows how to survive out there at least. She's also an indoor only cat and is microchipped.
I could really use some encouraging words, advice, or stories about how your cat(s) went missing and returned. I'm so lost without her, and could really use it.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::alright: Welcome to TCS although I am very sorry that it is such sad circumstances that brought you here.
Lately, it seems that social media has been having good results, both through Nextdoor.com and Facebook lost/found pet pages. I hope she didn't hitch a ride with a student returning to school after spring break.
Juniper is a strikingly beautiful cat and if friendly, would be exactly the cat that would be taken in and adopted. She likely has great survival skills. and there are amazing stories of returns.
My most amazing tale was the story of Joshie, my married friend's cat. I knew Joshie's mom Callie and was there when Joshie was born. When Joshie was a young cat, her folks went on a 2 weeks' vacation and I kept Callie and Joshie at my mom's place. Over the years, my friend got divorced and then remarried, moving out of town but leaving her cats with her mom. Then the mom moved out of state and left the cats with a friend who eventually died. 11 years after Joshie stayed with me, she appeared on our front doorstep, bedraggled and emaciated - clearly on her own for a long time. She not only remembered me, she went upstairs to my old room where she stayed!! My friend's first husband had, over the years, remarried a lady with 2 young daughters. He couldn't believe that Joshie could still be alive but came to see because he knows me to be a practical person. Joshie immediately recognized him and she was overjoyed in his arms, rubbing her face on him, purring and chirping, making biscuits.....so happy at the reunion that the man actually cried, he was so emotional! The little girls were delighted to get a cat and last that I heard, Joshie was over 18 years old. What is incredible is that Joshie had to travel 10 miles through very rural country, including the river bottoms, miles of desert and cattle pastures - all filled with innumerable amounts and kinds of predators.
Sending prayers and vibes that your precious Juni comes home soon, safe and sound!:vibes::welcomeback1::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for those kind words. That gives me a little bit of hope that she may pull through this blizzard.it's amazing seeing that Joshie remembered you all after all these years too! Thank you for the compliment of Juni as well. I can only hope that I get to take more picture of her alive and well soon

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello!
Have you had a chance to post to Nextdoor . com?
Check with the local shelters daily.

Here are a few other places where you can post at no cost to you.

Pet Harbor- LOCAL SHELTERS- PetHarbor.com: Animal Shelter adopt a pet; dogs, cats, puppies, kittens! Humane Society, SPCA. Lost & Found.

Lost My Doggie - Lost My Doggie - Our Lost Dog Locating Service will Help Find Your Lost Dog, Lost Cat or Missing Pet -- click on “How It Works” tab at the top – then at the bottom click on “START MY FREE ALERT” and follow the prompts

Paw Boost- Find Your Lost Pet

Your state's Lost and Found Pets page on facebook, and also your local neighborhood's facebook page.

Your local Craigslist
Helping Lost Pets: Helping Lost Pets, Find cats dogs found pets missing stolen

Print up flyers and knock on your neighbor’s doors when the weather clears a bit. One of them may have your pet for safekeeping, or it might have tried to shelter in a garage or shed and may have been accidentally shut in.

Please update these websites when your pet is found :vibes::crossfingers:

Last edited:

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've attempted to get a nextdoor account, but since I'm not from this area, it wouldn't accept my phone number. I'm waiting to hear back from them on this issue. I'll definitely try out those pages, and she's been posted on our animal shelter's page along with a few missing cat pages on facebook. I've put up flyers before, but the wind kept knocking them down unfortunately. I just printed off a bunch more today, and hopefully will get them up soon. Snow just hit, and I'm hoping she's somewhere safe and warm

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO CALL ALL of you local shelters. They may have scanning capabilities, but they are so often understaffed and overworked that they may scan, but not call, or may not scan at all unless someone calls about a cat that matches one they have in custody. I'd calls local vets, as well, just to cover all of the bases.

Cats are masters at finding safe places to wait out bad weather. When Hurricane Florence tore through here, flooding most of the city, I was terrified for the local ferals. I was sure they would all be gone, but by a week or so later, they were back, including all but a very few of the kittens.

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All the vets have been notified and have flyers hanging up, along with the animal shelter. I've been placed in their missing cat book, and have been posted on their facebook page. I also informed our local police. I'm hoping for the best at this point. Its been 16 days, and we've gotten 1-2 feet of snow along with blowing winds. I hope she's safe. My hope is running thin

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Darlin, we've had cats missing for MONTHS who came home safe, only a little the worse for wear! Don't give up yet.
Oh wow! Were they indoor cats by chance? And I'm glad your furbabies made it home safely. I'll do my best to not give up hope, and once the weather clears up, I'll put up more flyers. Here's another picture of my purrincess.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need a book of survival and encouragement, try reading "Paw Tracks at Owl Cottage" by Denis O'Connor, which is the sequel to the very entertaining "Paw Tracks In The Moonlight". Toby Jug's mother was a registered Maine Coon who escaped from her home and was able to survive for a time in the Northumbria, England winter until suffering a tragic accident. She even found a mate and had kittens.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I'm new here and didn't know who else to turn to. My cat, Juni (Juniper), has been missing since March 26th at 10pm. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so incredibly distraught, and I feel like giving up. I searched for an hour all with a few others the night she disappeared, and had no luck. I've only had one potential sighting, and the bad westher keeps knocking my flyers down, and I unfortunately won't geel comfortable putting any more up until the freak blizzard (I'm in Minnesota) on Thursday passes. She was a stray prior to me adopting her, so I hope she knows how to survive out there at least. She's also an indoor only cat and is microchipped.
I could really use some encouraging words, advice, or stories about how your cat(s) went missing and returned. I'm so lost without her, and could really use it.
She is a gorgeous kitty.Hope she returns very soon n stays safe til she does.May God Watch Over Her And Protect Her N Keep Safe:redheartpump:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh wow! Were they indoor cats by chance? And I'm glad your furbabies made it home safely. I'll do my best to not give up hope, and once the weather clears up, I'll put up more flyers. Here's another picture of my purrincess.
Some certainly were. They tended not to fare quite so well as those accustomed to being out, but they did come home safe and sound.

Lighting a candle for your beautiful calico baby, to light her way home.
00LitCandle.jpeg

HollyBells

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your kind words. I made up some more flyers but sadly haven't been able to put them out yet since I've fallen sick. I feel terrible. I usually can't go searching at night since I'm always sleep deprived (I'm a college student) and manage to miss my alarms and it kills me. I hope that someone saw her and took her in, but it just makes me wonder why they haven't taken her to the vet. She's microchipper, and it would make things so much easier.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: It is such a difficult situation for you :sniffle:
A lot of people don't do due diligence when they find a cat. I find myself wondering why. The night before last, I encountered a meowing cat in the Smart&Final parking lot. It looked well-cared for and although it didn't readily come to me, seemed tame, or at least not totally feral. I poured out a large can of Friskies chicken in gravy in a good location (near bushes & away from the cars) before I entered the store. when I came back, the cat acted like it wanted to approach but went under the cars instead and yet another scrawny & very feral young teen appeared and was voraciously scarfing the remaining food. I will try to go back this evening and scope the situation. There aren't any cat rescue groups in this area & my resources are very limited, especially as my disabled daughter and I live with my mom (plus I now have 20+cats here on the property, mostly outside ferals) AND my "leash" is very short.
So we will keep up our prayers and vibes that beautiful Juniper is returned to you and that the Smart&Final cats are okay, too (they are near 2 other well established managed colonies that are attended by two retired couples so food and water are nearby if the resident cats allow it).:vibes::vibes::vibes: