Cat Grass In Stool - A Few Inches Long??

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Iris, is about 5 months old and she loves cat grass. I know It's normal for them to vomit the grass back up sometimes, but is it normal for it to come out with stool?? I woke up this morning to find a stool on the carpet, with about 3 inches of grass attached to it. At first I thought it was string and started freaking out, but it looks like grass.

So... should I be concerned? I've decided to take away the cat grass. But do you think there could be any more inside her? Should I worry about obstruction? She seems perfectly fine, has been eating and drinking. I'm going to keep an eye on her and maybe call the vet once they open.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, are you really sure it was grass?
Second, did that grass look fresh and green or did it look like digested? How long was it?

It isn't uncommon for grass to come out with stools. It happened sometimes to my cats too. In a couple of occasions the grass was long and the stools were all chained to the grass like a necklace :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it's grass. The only other string around the house comes from a cat toy that she plays with. But that string is much thicker, and I have never seen her chewing/eating it. (But I've now put it away just in case.)

The grass that came out in the stool is very dark green and fiber-y, so I think it went through digestion. And it's also kind of bunched together, like her body bunched It up to process it.

It happened about 6-8 hours or so after she ate the grass, if that tells you anything.

"Like a necklace" :lol::lol: I've had cats poop long hair balls before, but not grass haha

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the grass being dark green and "fiber-y" as you say is a sign that all went well, the grass passed through the digestive tract but wasn't absorbed.
However, I wouldn't worry about it. The cat you see in my profile used to chew on grass, but she NEVER vomited in her life. All that had to be expelled went through the other way, grass included :)