Purraise
Sorry this was repeat as didn’t initially appear and I posted another

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have just read a few things about coconut oil damaging a cats liver. I don't know, im just a bit afraid of it.

I know a lot of people feed raw, or cook at home for their cats. You may want to post in the raw forum to get more information about that. I dont feed this way so i cant make suggestions.

Is there anywhere locally you can buy a prepared raw food? I did a quick google search on raw foods, Australia and got quite a few results. might be worth checking
We fed raw human grade veal same reaction. So we gave up trying for a time. Kangaroo is recent, it was initially fed raw - two didn’t eat, snowy loved it. Then we did it steamed but this now happened we trying to see what was the cause. The kangaroo was for animals from a pet store they make it there it’s fresh.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowy a while ago before he got real thin
pretty cat! :) i have a solid white cat too, my avatar. her name is Frosty, so i do have a soft spot for white cats :) and a solid black one names Snowball...lol...my husband :rolleyes:

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowy is my fiance’s cat

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once we were going from vets and saw a white cat we saw before she was friendly to us. We showed snowy to her in his carrier. She ran away. After this she didn’t allow us next to her for nearly two months. Don’t know why. She didn’t like him. She was small but pure white like him.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowy is very long. His mother and tabby’s was an oriental in part or full don’t know, didn’t see papers. She was obviously visually oriental ie looked like Siamese but white and yellow green eyes.. so it’s bad for him to be 4 kg. His backbone is all felt when petting him when he is curled up poor thing

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry Snowy is having such a hard time. I really hope you and the vet can figure something out for the poor boy! I will keep you guys in my thoughts! And do keep us updated on how the pretty boy is doing!

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WE used Just Answer services which we didn’t be realise was a scam! They said in their conditions to pay a deposit of $5 (refundable) and they never gave us any answer despite their promises and wanted more money before posting answers (lies as they said they wanted us to check if we are satisfied first)

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are many people with same kind of problems the JustAnswer site purposefully misleads their customers with false or very confusing or in too fine print rules to get money from them.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We now were told to feed him just cooked chicken and rice- back to elimination diet. THey have more prescription food for us as well next week I/d digestive HILLs and another brand woohoo

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they tolerate the cooked chicken, I think I'd try to make a homemade cat food based on cooked chicken instead of messing around with commercial foods. Here's one site that offers some easy recipes: www.dogcathomeprepareddiet.com

I know the recipes call for clams for taurine but you can use a taurine supplement if they're sensitive to clams. I think kangaroo meat is similar to venison if you want to substitute.

With all their allergies I think knowing exactly what's in their food will help, and any supplemented food is better than just feeding them steamed chicken, which is definitely not nutritionally complete.

Also, I've heard of some cats who can tolerate vegetarian fed/organic/free-range/etc. chicken but not regular chicken. So maybe that's the trouble with the kangaroo meat. Are the kangaroo caught wild or are they raised on farms? Try to find out what they're fed and see if that makes any difference for the poor kitties.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea poor kitties they are such fragile brothers . Especially Snowy
We are going throu a process now with several vets to formulate a plan. The cats lived on just chicken for a long time perhaps Taurine is found in the chicken to some degree as Tabby is just fine on just chicken. Normal weight and coat

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said the treating vet from Friday wrote “possible reaction to depo medrol” in Snowy’s file

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a long time for nutritional deficiencies to show up. So it's OK for short term but not for too long. There's a little taurine in dark meat chicken but not enough. Hearts have a lot of taurine if you can get them. Calcium is important too, that's why just steamed meat isn't enough for long-term feeding.

Yeah, Depo-Medrol can be troublesome. If your vet wants to try steroids ask for the oral variety. That way if he has a reaction you can stop giving it right away.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also the cats ate purely chicken breast for over 4 years since the second part of 2012. Since 2017 we began (so just over one year) give them biscuits. At times they had z/d Hill’s in 2012 but it didn’t work out so they went back to chicken. For 4 years they ate just chicken breast. At times they had chicken livers (all cooked), chicken thighs only once as they began to choke they were too hard sinewy for them.
I was told that calcium is needed for growing cats but they were born in late October 2010. So adults by the time this extreme diet was put into place. There must be taurine in the cooked chicken too because they were fine for 4 years - they’d develop side effects like vision and other issues they don’t have it they have perfect vision.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowy had an x ray so it hopefully would have shown enlarged heart if he did have taurine problems ...??- a year ago or more he was diagnosed with heart murmur though which now they can’t hear: perhaps it was developing and we stopped it with dry food. But my vet told me that the diet was fine and we complied despite it being so strange. We did seek second opinion. Same results .

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IM having a look at calcium and vitamin supplements. It seems like a great idea/ from the site you gave me.Diet and Gastrointestinal Diseas
Provides a lot of useful clues to what they may react to - we alreasy did suspect polutry was good and safe and were going buy duck and turkey to make some difference. This site explains a lot

Last edited: