Cat Diarrhoea, Vomiting: Depo Medrol.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has issues with multiple food intolerances.
We introduced a new food a few weeks ago which didn’t go well, so we withdrawn it. He returned to his normal.

He used to be around 5 -5.4 kg but in the past year or two he gone to 4.3 (at vet visits) and this number remained like that when we saw a vet during flea season for over a year. We were advised no more testing needed it was just his stress and food intake as he is so intolerant his calorie intake isn’t as good as should be.
He mostly or exclusively most of the time ate chicken breast (on advice of two vets), but we were also able to introduce dry food many months ago.. this food didn’t raise his weight.
He has medicine intolerance too so we are unable to give him any flea treatments. He became ill with several of them (Revolution, Capstar and others) and also with Milbermax wormer treatment.
Since we are unable to fully deal with the fleas (all 3 of our cats are intolerant to medicines - 2 are brothers and one is rescue. Parasite medicine intolerance must be common as all three can’t take them).
As Snowy has flea allergy dermatitis we went to get Depo Medrol - we had it before and the last was 6 months ago.

He came home ok Monday afterwards, as usual, he was tired after it - but two days ago, on Thursday afternoon, he suddenly began to have diarrhoea.

As it had some of his hair that he ingested from all this time plucking his hair we thought it irritated his gut

We didn’t get Depo Medrol sooner as it isn’t that good to have many steroids we were told by he vet (he used to have shots every 3 weeks to 2 months during the flea season to start off). We did and do try to get fleas off him but even 2-3 fleas make him itch a lot.

He always looses weight during the time he has flea dermatitis so 4.3 kg I guess is not his normal - just flea allergy normal.

Snowy continued to have diarrhoea and went maybe 5 or more times.

Eventually it became watery and he also started to vomit food that he had many hours before (chicken) and only recently (biscuits) , undigested just looked same chicken that he ate 5-7 hrs before. We feed him as per vet instructions 3 times a day.
He eats kangaroo mince too now, not just chicken. All steamed. He tolerates them but not wet commercial foods.
As initially we saw hair in his poop and some in his vomit, we just thought that was a bad hair reaction as he has a sensitive gut.

He stopped for about 5 hours and was given a little bit of chicken breast - as he asked for it -the vomiting and diarrhoea made him lose a lot of weight and get narrower and weaker than he already was. He drank water but within seconds of eating chicken he restarted having more undigested chicken vomiting and watery poop. He was pooping and peeing everywhere, doing it at the same time a few times. As soon as he stopped vomiting he’d start pooping.

By this time it was 3 am and we didn’t know what to do. We paid some money to the internet vet who didn’t answer much as he needed to see him or his blood work..

We couldn’t take him to 24 hr vet as just to look at the cat (without any treatment) it costs over $200. We don’t have that much on us at all times. They want money upfront not able to wait even 24 hrs or so

So we waited for our vet to open at 8 and took him to the first available appointment at 11.

He continued to poop water on and off throughout the morning.

At the vet he weighed 3.8 kg from dehydration and fully emptying his gut I guess.

He was taken in and had X-rays and blood tests.

The q I have he has elevated ALT at 218 and urea at 13.5 mmol/L
What can those mean?

He was given anti nausea and Depo antibiotics to treat minor skin infection from dermatitis,
Convenia.

I think they gave him hydrating injection..
But it isn’t on itemised list - maybe since our vet said he was giving some treatment free he is the owner I assumed.. I’m not sure if he did or didn’t get the hydration injection.

He stopped pooping, vomiting and peeing - he did eat proper meals now. No peeing or poop or vomiting over 24 hrs- I assume is normal as he was dehydrated but we watching for pee.

He is now home. They don’t know what happened!?

He is 7.

We don’t understand, as nothing was explained to us in terms of what occurred with him.

We assume it was Depo Medrol and the values in his blood are to do with it and so is vomiting and diarrhoea - as steroids can cause this at times..

Anyone with any idea what this is and what to look out for ??

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the vet not prescribe a food for him that would help? I know there are some hypoallergenic prescription foods that many have good luck with.

I think the fleas need to be dealt with, and any parasites. has the vet given him all the different options to try, i use advantage multi on mine, it is odd that all 3 are allergic to all of the different options? There are also some natural flea medications you can buy. also some use food grade diatomaceous earth. I have never tried these but i think it would be worth a try! Can you talk to your vet about it? Best of luck, and do keep us updated.

If your vet is unable to help you treat the fleas and parasites, or find a food that he can tolerate. Or explain to you what the problem is you may want a second opinion from a different vet?

Natural Flea Control for Cats | Organic Flea & Tick Remedies| Only Natural Pet

Cat Flea & Tick - Free shipping at Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were expreselly forbidden to give any flea treatment because of reaction. We can’t use any or try new ones for few reasons he got sick like nearly died. We can’t give worm treat for same reason, even though reaction isn’t as severe, just diarrea no collapse. But we can’t risk it. So all flea treatments are off the table. They react both to the active ingredient and the other things possibly (we don’t know for sure- Capstar, for example, doesn’t have the same carrier like the spot treatment but they react badly to it with panting and collapsing for hours)
Yes they were tried on hypoallergenic prescription. It was Hills hydrolysed and the reaction was just as bad. We are out of those options , we did try but reactions are real bad both of the brothers start having diarrhoea, vomiting and at times siting head first into floor or facing the wall unresponsive and wobbling if touched very weak.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe read online about the diatomaceous earth, i dont think it has any chemicals. Read about it, and talk to the vet. I have never used it, but many claim it works well. May be worth a shot?

what can he eat? what food are you feeding now? Did they do allergy test to see what he might be allergic to as far as food goes?

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THE two cats are litter brothers
The rescue also can’t take flea treatment he did only advantage but got disoriented and shaking he head and vocalising. There was no collapse but since we saw what happened with the other two we made the decision not to give the treatment.
We did see more than one vet for Tabby and Snowy. I don’t know why the cats can’t tolerate but the two are bothers, similar genetics.
The new one does tolerate more foods.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vets said to do elimination diet only. They then said to us to remain on then chicken. The other brother Tabby is great has good weight on him. Only Snowy is thin. Tabby doesn’t get flea allergy. Snowy seems to lose weight when he has the allergy
We were told to eliminate only as the intolerance or allergy they weren’t specific isn’t easy to diagnose by doing allergy test as it’s just in their gut not skin

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to bathe him for the fleas? Not a medicated shampoo, but something mild, or something like dawn dish liquid?

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What they can eat and do eat:
Steamed chicken breast - main food, every day.
Hypoallergenic cereal free Ivory Coat Brand chicken and kangaroo dry biscuits - can’t take every day as develop loose poo. The rescue also gets loose poo if he eats them too often. We go off biscuits for a bit a week or more - then give again until the loose stools start again. This stops constant upset gut.
Steamed kangaroo mince a few times a week to a few a months (varies).

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe someone else will come in with some suggestions. I dont know of any cats that cant eat SOME cat food, so i dont really have any good advice here, unless you could go to Raw, or home cooked?

and for the flea and parasite problem i would suggest checking into the use of the diatomaceous earth. Its the only chemical free option i am aware of. Best of luck to you guys!

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes we will try bathing. Our only option. He hates it and howls pitifully and scratches us. My partner doesn’t want to use detergent but I do so we are trying to negotiate. Bathing is the only thing we can think of. And the earth I will have a look too
We have a steamer we steam carpets, curtains and furniture etc to kill what we can in terms of fleas and eggs.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
maybe someone else will come in with some suggestions. I dont know of any cats that cant eat SOME cat food, so i dont really have any good advice here, unless you could go to Raw, or home cooked?

and for the flea and parasite problem i would suggest checking into the use of the diatomaceous earth. Its the only chemical free option i am aware of. Best of luck to you guys!
THey can eat steamed chicken, kangaroo and ivory coat hypoallergenic cereal free biscuits

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is not a reaction to food though. We’ve established they tolerate chicken so it wasn’t that.
The biscuits and kangaroo we aren’t too sure of, as they do react a little to biscuits and kangaroo is new -it sometimes takes a while to react. Hopefully they can continue with these. This latest episode isn’t a food reaction He did have the injection before many times-maybe it’s a reaction to steroid ?

Last edited:

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On second thought, there IS a possibility this was a reaction to kangaroo we just introduced last month - it takes sometimes 2-5 times of eating a food to react
But we’ve been feeding dry with kangaroo already for a year or so and that made me think they can tolerate kangaroo - unless pure kangaroo is too rich ... apart from loose stools they had no severe issues like before so we got some courage and intro kangaroo as the new protein in terms of cooked food (it’s not really new as it’s in the biscuits). Before the biscuits they only ate chicken usually breast for over two years ! Including rarely chicken livers.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with this food, as it seems to be Australian food i have never seen in the US. If it is the only thing they can eat, then thats what you feed them. I personally am not a fan of coconut oil for cats, but when you dont have choices you feed what they can eat. Is there a simple chicken dry cat food you could try for them? something without Kangaroo or coconut oil?

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with this food, as it seems to be Australian food i have never seen in the US. If it is the only thing they can eat, then thats what you feed them. I personally am not a fan of coconut oil for cats, but when you dont have choices you feed what they can eat. Is there a simple chicken dry cat food you could try for them? something without Kangaroo or coconut oil?
I haven’t found any - we’ve tried many of them they reacted to them - both things like royal canin (don’t recall if it was just chicken this was long ago) and some supermarket brands. These induced some vomiting so we stopped. I was told possibly it’s the colour or even preservative that they react to.
Yea coconut oil is weird but it’s all they tolerate so far though they can’t eat any other biscuit! They can’t keep eating these and onl tolerate a certain amount a day and have to go off them too, periodically. At least it has nutrients like calcium, vitamins and minerals as chicken is not enough (vet said it is enough though, just to feed chicken, as our cats are pretty unique the vets haven’t seen this bad either )

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Snowy a while ago before he got real thin

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just read a few things about coconut oil damaging a cats liver. I don't know, im just a bit afraid of it.

I know a lot of people feed raw, or cook at home for their cats. You may want to post in the raw forum to get more information about that. I dont feed this way so i cant make suggestions.

Is there anywhere locally you can buy a prepared raw food? I did a quick google search on raw foods, Australia and got quite a few results. might be worth checking

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops the photos don’t attach for some reason