Cat diarrhea still not better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question did she ever have normal stools on her own, without meds?
She was abandon by a neighbor who moved last summer. And she was outside during the summer but we put out food and water for her. When it got cold (October 2019 for our area) I brought her inside and since I was obviously cleaning her litterbox every day, I noticed diarrhea. So yeah shes had diarrhea basically every day for about 6 months. Probably longer than that but when she was outside I didnt see when she pooped.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you done a second, more in depth fecal panel to check for giardia and other parasites? You always want to check a second panel about a month after the dewormer and antibiotics are finished to make sure all the intestinal parasites are gone. I would just do a bigger panel to rule out anything more serious.
The fecal panel they did was a diarrhea panel and they said it was the most in depth test they offered. It was $500 and tested EVERYTHING including giardia, parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc etc etc. I want to check again for sure, I just have 3 other cats and they've had expensive medical stuff too lately. (Teeth extraction, teeth cleaning, other routine shots and basic vet stuff). Also my car is from 2001 and falling apart lol. I just cant afford to do another $500 test right now. But I can ask if they can do a cheaper test to re-test for parasites and that bacteria. Thanks!

Last edited:

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might look into other novel proteins such as lamb, venison, rabbit or duck. Turkey and chicken can both be allergens. Have you ever thought of trying canned food? Once again a limited ingredient novel protein.

Have you thought of taking in another stool sample to have it tested? This would let you know if the clostridium is still present.
The vet did give her some ID prescription wet food for 'sensitive stomach' but it was chicken. She ate it but it didnt improve anything. I can take another sample to be re-tested since its been about 3 weeks. As long as its not another $500 fecal test.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was abandon by a neighbor who moved last summer. And she was outside during the summer but we put out food and water for her. When it got cold (October 2019 for our area) I brought her inside and since I was obviously cleaning her litterbox every day, I noticed diarrhea. So yeah shes had diarrhea basically every day for about 6 months. Probably longer than that but when she was outside I didnt see when she pooped.
No one wants to consider this because it's a pain and expensive but your cat just may not be able to tolerate processed food (cooked). You could try commercially prepared raw food for a few days and see if that helps. One of my cats that I adopted as a kitten had chronic diarrhea and the vet found nothing wrong with him. After one meal of raw food he was cured and he has been on raw food ever since then. Just something you might want to consider trying if nothing really seems to work. For a cat, raw is more natural and cooked is processed.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No one wants to consider this because it's a pain and expensive but your cat just may not be able to tolerate processed food (cooked). You could try commercially prepared raw food for a few days and see if that helps. One of my cats that I adopted as a kitten had chronic diarrhea and the vet found nothing wrong with him. After one meal of raw food he was cured and he has been on raw food ever since then. Just something you might want to consider trying if nothing really seems to work. For a cat, raw is more natural and cooked is processed.
Would that be like plain boiled chicken? Or literally raw uncooked meat?
I would GLADLY boil her chicken and rice everyday or anything to stop the diarrhea! I just wish I knew for sure what was wrong but all I can do is trial and error I guess.
I did try to give her plain white rice before, along with her kibble. She ate a few bites but not much.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would that be like plain boiled chicken? Or literally raw uncooked meat?
I would GLADLY boil her chicken and rice everyday or anything to stop the diarrhea! I just wish I knew for sure what was wrong but all I can do is trial and error I guess.
I did try to give her plain white rice before, along with her kibble. She ate a few bites but not much.
Like literal raw meat. There are commercial brands out there that are complete meals. Stella & Chewy's is a reputable company for example.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like literal raw meat. There are commercial brands out there that are complete meals. Stella & Chewy's is a reputable company for example.
Okay I will do some research and check out that Stella brand. Thank you!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I will do some research and check out that Stella brand. Thank you!
Oh also I want to mention your cat may not be allergic to raw chicken and turkey. He or she may not agree with the additives in those foods! But you can try out rabbit if you want to be sure. And then if that does the trick you can try out raw turkey or raw chicken to see if she is truly allergic to that protein.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat LOVES Stella and Chewy's raw duck nuggets. They also have rabbit and chicken.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been giving the s. boulardii for about 5 days now... shes now having even runnier diarrhea, all over the sides of her litterbox, and starting to eliminate outside the box. :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Been giving the s. boulardii for about 5 days now... shes now having even runnier diarrhea, all over the sides of her litterbox, and starting to eliminate outside the box. :(

Oh dear. Poor baby. I am so sorry this is not working for you. I guess I would stop the S. boulardii. Yet do try to keep her on another probiotic. I do think it's time to get her back to a vet. Definitely take in a stool sample for more testing.

Are you considering the raw food diet or changing her food?

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. Poor baby. I am so sorry this is not working for you. I guess I would stop the S. boulardii. Yet do try to keep her on another probiotic. I do think it's time to get her back to a vet. Definitely take in a stool sample for more testing.

Are you considering the raw food diet or changing her food?
Is there another cat probiotic you recommend? Ive tried FortiFlora, In Clover Optagest Organic Prebiotic and Natural Enzyme Powder for Healthy Stools and Less Gas. And the s bouladrii. I can try some raw food I suppose. That Stella kinda looks like its $40 for not even 1lb (aaahh!) but honestly if it halts the diarrhea I would buy it for her, so I could try it and see.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Proviable DC. It is easily mixed into wet food. I also use slippery elm powder. It helps to coat the digestive tract and soothe irritation. I make a syrup that keeps in the fridge for 5 days. I add 1 t. to my cats food when he is having a digestive flare. Yet when he had issues from the antibiotic last year, I gave the slippery elm 3x a day.

The proviable DC is available on Amazon and Chewy.

Can you call the vet and ask how much they would charge for a stool sample check?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a look at Psyllium. Its a fibre that helps both diarrhoea and constipation. Its not ingested but forms a gel that eases the passing of a stool in the case of constipation and binds in the case of diarrhoea. It helped one of mine. Its cheap and easily available. I cant think of anything else that might help sorry.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have a look at Psyllium. Its a fibre that helps both diarrhoea and constipation. Its not ingested but forms a gel that eases the passing of a stool in the case of constipation and binds in the case of diarrhoea. It helped one of mine. Its cheap and easily available. I cant think of anything else that might help sorry.
I tried that for a few weeks. No Improvement :(

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Proviable DC. It is easily mixed into wet food. I also use slippery elm powder. It helps to coat the digestive tract and soothe irritation. I make a syrup that keeps in the fridge for 5 days. I add 1 t. to my cats food when he is having a digestive flare. Yet when he had issues from the antibiotic last year, I gave the slippery elm 3x a day.

The proviable DC is available on Amazon and Chewy.

Can you call the vet and ask how much they would charge for a stool sample check?
I will check out that Proviable DC! I did try slippery elm powder mixed into her wet food twice a day for a few weeks with no improvement.

jamie shermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has tritrichomonas but cant take Ronidazole. Now just give tylosin to supress the inflammation. He is on RC GI My vet suggested fortiflora but seems not helping much. I bought Nexabiotic just to give it a try. Does anyone know if I can give 2 tablets since my cat needs to take antibiotic day and night. He poo twice a day and one feces must be ice cream look.

mwhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has tritrichomonas but cant take Ronidazole. Now just give tylosin to supress the inflammation. He is on RC GI My vet suggested fortiflora but seems not helping much. I bought Nexabiotic just to give it a try. Does anyone know if I can give 2 tablets since my cat needs to take antibiotic day and night. He poo twice a day and one feces must be ice cream look.
Hi Jamie, how's your kitty with TF?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's an article for you to read. S. Boulardii is mentioned in it and the amount given to the cat and also how to cook bland food for your cat.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?