Cat diarrhea still not better

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I posted before about our 3 year old cat with diarrhea. She did get a full blood and fecal panel. She had roundworms, and clostridium perfringens.

Vet gave her Strongid for the worms (2 doses 2 weeks apart). And amoxicillin for the clostridium.

Her diarrhea issues improved almost overnight. She had great looking poop for 5 days. (She was a stray originally and for months I've never seen her have a solid poop, she's had diarrhea forever) 😣

But then day 6 -- diarrhea again. I waited a few days and she was straining in the litterbox multiple times an hour and having diarrhea. Waited another week. Doctor gave her clavamox I think its called. Basically amoxicillin again. No improvement after 5 days so I stopped giving her that. She's still have mushy diarrhea. She's on a grain free corn free limited ingredient diet. She's had plain chicken baby food before and if anything it made the diarrhea worse.

I started giving her s. boulardii these past 5 days. Seems like all that's done is give her bad gas and still no improvement whatsoever on the diarrhea.

I feel like she's just going to have diarrhea forever. I've spent $700+ on her in tests and medicine. And also $1,000 on my other cats for their various health things this month. I can't keep spending more money I don't have when nothing is working. She acts fine otherwise but I know she's uncomfortable and she sometimes gets the diarrhea on her fur then gets it on her bedding. (Shes separate from my other cats).
I feel like I'm getting caregiver burnout from the researching for hours, cleaning her, cleaning her blankets and bedding, washing her litterbox and just worrying about her constantly.

What else can I do?? 😓

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried commercial raw? I would honestly give that a try if other things don't seem to work. One of mine had chronic diarrhea before raw food.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried another probiotic? I like to use Proviable DC. Also look into slippery elm syrup. I had a cat who had terrible diarrhea from antibiotics. It took 3 months to get him back on track. I gave Proviable DC once a day and slippery elm syrup (that I made) 2-3x each day. Slippery elm helps to coat the lining of the stomach. You can buy slippery elm powder on Amazon or other health food stores.

I take about 3/4-1 t. of slippery elm powder to 1/2 c. of cold water. I whisk while it is simmering on the stove top until it begins to thicken slightly. This takes about 5-7 minutes. I then cool and keep in covered container in the fridge. I give 1 t of the syrup mixed in baby food or wet food 1-3x a day. Most cats like the taste of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried another probiotic? I like to use Proviable DC. Also look into slippery elm syrup. I had a cat who had terrible diarrhea from antibiotics. It took 3 months to get him back on track. I gave Proviable DC once a day and slippery elm syrup (that I made) 2-3x each day. Slippery elm helps to coat the lining of the stomach. You can buy slippery elm powder on Amazon or other health food stores.

I take about 3/4-1 t. of slippery elm powder to 1/2 c. of cold water. I whisk while it is simmering on the stove top until it begins to thicken slightly. This takes about 5-7 minutes. I then cool and keep in covered container in the fridge. I give 1 t of the syrup mixed in baby food or wet food 1-3x a day. Most cats like the taste of it.
I did try a cat probiotic powder a while ago. I forget what it was called but it had special enzymes and probiotics. I have also tried slippery elm powder for a few weeks with no improvement. I feel like I have tried everything. (I have not tried boiled chicken and rice yet.)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to try 3 different probiotics before I found one that worked. I used the Proviable DC, Jarrow brand S. boulardii and slippery elm. I had Forti flora, Nexabiotic probiotic, Renew Life probiotic along with Flagyl (prescription) from the vet.

The key is to be sure you are using enough of the probiotic and slippery elm each day.

Have you tried a Limited Ingredient cat food? I like Merrick canned. They also have a limited ingredient dry.

It is so frustrating when diarrhea persists.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You mentioned that chicken baby food made the diarrhoea worse. Can you remove all chicken from her diet, she might be allergic to it. It may be a case of trial and error with her food.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to try 3 different probiotics before I found one that worked. I used the Proviable DC, Jarrow brand S. boulardii and slippery elm. I had Forti flora, Nexabiotic probiotic, Renew Life probiotic along with Flagyl (prescription) from the vet.

The key is to be sure you are using enough of the probiotic and slippery elm each day.

Have you tried a Limited Ingredient cat food? I like Merrick canned. They also have a limited ingredient dry.

It is so frustrating when diarrhea persists.
I tried that Forti Flora from our vet (15 days didnt seem like it did anything). And I've been doing that S. boulardii now for about 6-7 days, still diarrhea so far. I did the slippery elm a few months ago and i had a powder and I mixed it into her wet food and she ate it no problem. I'm pretty sure I gave her enough (she only weighs 5lbs, probably cause food runs right through her :( )
She is on a limited ingredient diet -- corn/grain free - turkey and potato kibble. I appreciate the info and I might need to try another probiotic.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that chicken baby food made the diarrhoea worse. Can you remove all chicken from her diet, she might be allergic to it. It may be a case of trial and error with her food.
I have thought about that too. She is currently on a limited ingredient grain/corn free Turkey and Potato kibble.... if shes allergic to chicken would she be allergy to turkey also? Like a poultry allergy? Not sure. Thanks for the info!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine is allergic to chicken but can eat turkey, it can vary between cats though. Keep a diary of the food and reaction to it. It may take some time to solve but dont give up.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of mine is allergic to chicken but can eat turkey, it can vary between cats though. Keep a diary of the food and reaction to it. It may take some time to solve but dont give up.
Thank you! Its been very frustrating. I have spent countless hours researching IBD, IBS, food allergies, crohns, bacterial infections, viral infections, probiotics, and so many other things. Once i knew she had clostridium I thought the antibiotic would cure her :(
I appreciate the encouragement.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet put my cat's constant diarrhoea down to IBS and I put him on a prescription diet as recommended but being such a fussy eater he wouldnt eat it. I decided to try eliminating specific protein from his diet and the first thing I removed was chicken, fed him only lamb and he was ok, then only turkey and he was ok then a meal of chicken and the diarrhoea came back . Removed the chicken and he was fine. I gave him chicken 4 times within 4 months and each time he had diarrhoea so I had found the problem. He has been good for nearly 2 years. It was frustrating for a while but well worth the diary keeping. I hope you find the problem soon. It might help if you are able, to feed small meals more often rather than big meals twice a day. Let us know how you get on.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! Its been very frustrating. I have spent countless hours researching IBD, IBS, food allergies, crohns, bacterial infections, viral infections, probiotics, and so many other things. Once i knew she had clostridium I thought the antibiotic would cure her :(
I appreciate the encouragement.

I wonder if it was the antibiotic that made it worse. Remember it kills all bacteria, not just the bad stuff. It can take awhile for the good bacteria to repopulate. It also can be trial and error in which probiotic works. I would switch to another probiotic and continue with the s. boulardii. How much s. boulardii are you giving per day? THere is an emergency dosage and therapeutic dose.

Definitely do look into limited ingredient diets.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet put my cat's constant diarrhoea down to IBS and I put him on a prescription diet as recommended but being such a fussy eater he wouldnt eat it. I decided to try eliminating specific protein from his diet and the first thing I removed was chicken, fed him only lamb and he was ok, then only turkey and he was ok then a meal of chicken and the diarrhoea came back . Removed the chicken and he was fine. I gave him chicken 4 times within 4 months and each time he had diarrhoea so I had found the problem. He has been good for nearly 2 years. It was frustrating for a while but well worth the diary keeping. I hope you find the problem soon. It might help if you are able, to feed small meals more often rather than big meals twice a day. Let us know how you get on.
She used to eat chicken based kibble, and now is eating turkey based. I did try fish based kibble (salmon) too for a week and she had diarrhea fairly bad with that too. Besides chicken, turkey and fish... should I try beef based?

She definitely had clostridium so maybe its just that still and was resistant to the antibiotics. In that case: how am I supposed to cure her of that bacteria? More of a rhetorical question. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll try some different things with her food soon, and a diary. I did start feeding her more small meals at a time. So shes not even eating as much, but still having a TON of diarrhea. I dont know how she can have SO MUCH diarrhea in her box, when she is eating basically half a cup of food a day. She only weighs 5lbs and that much food as been holding her over so far... as in she doesnt eat it all at once and snacks on it moderately during the day.

Last edited:

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it was the antibiotic that made it worse. Remember it kills all bacteria, not just the bad stuff. It can take awhile for the good bacteria to repopulate. It also can be trial and error in which probiotic works. I would switch to another probiotic and continue with the s. boulardii. How much s. boulardii are you giving per day? THere is an emergency dosage and therapeutic dose.

Definitely do look into limited ingredient diets.
She is already on a limited ingrediant kibble. (Blue Basics Turkey and Potato, grain and corn free).
I can keep trying with the s. boulardii. I've been giving her that Jarrow powder mixed into beef baby food, an, about half a capsule twice a day. She only weighs 5lbs. From what I've read it should be enough....

It definitely occurred to me that either the clostridum bacteria is resistant to the antibiotic. Or the antibiotic killed all her good bacteria. IT SUCKS WHEN THE CURE COULD ALSO BE THE CAUSE OF THE DIARRHEA. :(
She still having bad diarrhea and its so frustrating.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely avoid the fish while she's having an upset stomach. I would try to rebuild her gut with s. Boulardii probiotic.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diarrhea Due to Clostridium perfringens in Cats

I dont know if this article will be helpful, page 2 is the treatment recommended.
You could try beef or lamb something like that but stick to one protein. Keep giving the s boulardii, even a maintenance dose of 1/4 tablet twice a day over a length of time can help. It sounds as if it may take a while to clear but dont give up. Keep us posted.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Diarrhea Due to Clostridium perfringens in Cats

I dont know if this article will be helpful, page 2 is the treatment recommended.
You could try beef or lamb something like that but stick to one protein. Keep giving the s boulardii, even a maintenance dose of 1/4 tablet twice a day over a length of time can help. It sounds as if it may take a while to clear but dont give up. Keep us posted.
Yes, when i found out she had clostridum perfringens that was the article I kept coming back to. Thanks, I might try lamb... I didnt think of that protein. I'll keep on with the s. B since it probably cant hurt? Strange thing is she still eats, drinks and plays and acts normal and has good energy. But I hate to see her having mushy stool because I know something is wrong. As always I appreciate any advice! Thank you.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question did she ever have normal stools on her own, without meds?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might look into other novel proteins such as lamb, venison, rabbit or duck. Turkey and chicken can both be allergens. Have you ever thought of trying canned food? Once again a limited ingredient novel protein.

Have you thought of taking in another stool sample to have it tested? This would let you know if the clostridium is still present.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done a second, more in depth fecal panel to check for giardia and other parasites? You always want to check a second panel about a month after the dewormer and antibiotics are finished to make sure all the intestinal parasites are gone. I would just do a bigger panel to rule out anything more serious.