Cat Barfing Issue

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, you've helped me so much before and I have a new cat mystery to solve. One cat is a male grey tabby, approximately 9-10lbs and 1.5 years old. The other cat is an orange male tabby, approximately 12-13lbs and nearly 2 years old. Both are healthy and good weight for their size.

I posted previously about the grey tabby who is an extremely picky eater. He would refuse food and then barf right away when he finally ate again. We suspected this was because of the build up of stomach acid as he approached meal time and then when he never ate it made him sick. I was able to improve this issue by finding more varieties of canned food that he will eat on a regular basis.

Our current feeding situation is one 5oz can of pate for breakfast and we have about a half dozen varieties of those that we rotate (Nulo, Merrick, Dave's). Sometimes I put out a small amount of dry food for the grey tabby during the day because he is always hungry. The orange tabby does not eat the dry food. They get a 12oz can of Wellness Chicken or Turkey for dinner and they usually eat about 2/3 of it.

One thing to note that is that they are pretty good about pacing themselves with eating. For that reason I leave the food out for longer than the can says because they will come back and eat it over a long period instead of eating it all at once. For example I put out the breakfast can at 7am and they usually finish it by lunchtime. The dinner can is mostly eaten between 6-10pm or so but they sometimes eat a little bit more overnight. I have always done this from the beginning.

The grey tabby is very food motivated and consistently reminds us when it is feeding time. He would be eating the whole day if he could. The orange tabby doesn't really care when he gets the food and doesn't act that hungry typically.

While the grey tabby has improved, the orange tabby has started to throw up much more often in the last few months and he used to almost never do that.

The main issue is that he is throwing up suddenly in his sleep. He is very snuggly and loves to sleep with us. He will be asleep and then he wakes up because he is barfing. I had to put a waterproof mattress cover on the bed because this was happening so often. Last night it happened at 2am and it was so much barf that we had to go sleep in our guest room because it totally soaked the waterproof cover. We don't see any big hairballs or anything like that when he barfs, it is just digested food and acidic liquid. I can't think of anything that has changed that would have caused this. He is completely healthy besides this. The grey tabby also wakes himself up barfing from time to time but not as frequently as the orange tabby.

Any ideas what could be causing this?? We have not changed the feeding situation since this started. The only thing that changes is that I occasionally give them a new 5oz can variety to try.

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be an intolerance to some ingredient? Or IBD?

My cat suffers from IBD. She throws up mainly early in the morning and shortly before midnight.
What I have noticed is that if she's sleeping and needs to throw up, she wakes up suddenly, runs to a corner and waits for her... vomit... to come out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought about maybe a food allergy or intolerance. I used to feed the orange tabby a greater variety, but it got limited due to the grey tabby's pickiness. Since I am buying more expensive grain free brands, I try to buy the larger sizes to save money, plus they eat together harmoniously.

Here is their typical morning rotation: Nulo Chicken & Turkey, Merrick Rabbit, Nulo Duck & Tuna, Whole Earth Farms Duck, Dave's Turkey. And then the Wellness Chicken and Turkey types for dinner. I used to incorporate more seafood like Wellness Chicken & Herring or Turkey & Salmon, but the grey tabby started rejecting them lately.

I actually even thought that maybe I got a bad batch of the Wellness seafood blends from Amazon a couple of months ago, because the first 3 times the orange tabby barfed at night, it was right after eating those 2 flavors. Then the grey tabby started rejecting them and I stopped putting them out for the most part, yet the barfing continues.. The last time I fed them Chicken & Herring, I mixed it with a Purina broth pouch and had no issue. Yesterday they had Turkey in the morning and Chicken at night and he threw up. I haven't been able to determine any rhyme or reason.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that most of the ingredients are poultry, birds, I would say.
The vet I met for my cat said "no feathers, no scales. Nothing that flies, nothing that swims".
So I totally changed my cat's diet and she stopped vomiting.
Now she has an ongoing issue with her GI system.
I'm going to begin a course of Ranitidine and see how it will work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanerich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it is true they are primarily on poultry based foods. The reason is because the grey tabby refuses to eat anything with beef, pork or lamb. He is pretty iffy on seafood as well, which is why we only have one or two varieties with fish in the rotation. Even the Merrick Rabbit has chicken in it..sigh.

Maybe I really do need to start feeding them separately and give the orange tabby a greater variety again? Any tips on how to keep them eating out of their own bowls? The only way to separate them would be to feed them upstairs in a bedroom which is not ideal.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lanerich, I assume you've already taken the cat to a vet because there are a number of health issues that need to be ruled out. My sister's cat vomited a couple of times a day for 6 years (the cat was 8 when my sister adopted her). Three vets never figured out what was wrong. I had to take her when she started getting kidney failure because my sister lived 45 miles from the vet. I eliminated the dry food and she stopped vomiting. Ultimately, the only food she could eat without vomiting was my homemade (cooked) food and Friskies canned turkey and giblets.

Now, your problem is the wet food. You could endlessly try canned food or your could try making food (cooked) and find some combo that she doesn't vomit up. I just brought the recipe to my vet who changed a couple of things and added taurine. After she was on the diet for awhile, she got into the other cat's turkey and giblets and didn't have problems, so I alternated. I think she was sensitive to something in commercial cat food and making her food gave her gut time to heal.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I really do need to start feeding them separately and give the orange tabby a greater variety again? Any tips on how to keep them eating out of their own bowls? The only way to separate them would be to feed them upstairs in a bedroom which is not ideal.
You could try and introduce a bit of a the new food along with their usual and favorite food day by day. The transition shoudl be as smooth as possible, over a week ideally.
I think you should try, for their own sake.