Cat And Kitten

Jvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my cat (who really is still a kitten, he's 6 months) was just neutered 3 days ago. So he's already going through a lot, But we brought home our new kitten today (10 weeks)
Because I'm in college I don't have a spare room to keep the two in. We've set up a corral for the baby with a litter box, food water, bed, and roaming space but I'm worried I'm stressing them both out. My older kitten has roamed the house all day today so they've gotten breaks but there has been a lot of hissing and growling on both ends. My older kitten is quite playful and other cats and dogs he's met he's always sprung at to play with them, which he's done with the baby but he's so much larger than the baby I'm scared he'll hurt him. Will they ever become friends? Am I being too protective? Is keeping them in the same room really bad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and also, my older kitten seems to hate me, he usually is so cuddly and lays with me and purrs and sleeps on the bed at night. But since we've brought the kitten home he's slept under the bed:( is this forever?

jimbob2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Following because my older cat is also avoiding my bed since bringing new kitten home, although he was growing aloof even before then - possibly because of approaching teenage years?

Breezy0815

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll offer my experience with my two kitties, which is very limited, but I was seeing similar behavior. Both cats are main coons. The older one was 14 weeks and the baby was 12 weeks (so already very different from your situation because they are closer in age).

We had the older one for two weeks before getting the baby. He bonded with us and slept in our bed every night. The night that we got the baby was the worst The older guy kept attacking him, to the point that the baby was so terrified, he would cry and hiss at us if we came near him. We ended up separating them for the night which meant I slept in the bath tub with the baby. (My apartment is a one bedroom, so like you I'm limited with space)

I was afraid that I'd come from work and one would be injured! So I called my breeder and this is what she told me, and it's been about a week since then.
Your older guy is probably just reallyyyyy excited. Crazy excited that there's a new playmate, after all he's still a kitten. Your baby is scared because he's in a new place. Give them time. Introduce them slowly and let the little guy get to know his new home without being attacked. It's been only a week and they LOVE each other. Or to be honest, the older one loves my baby. Follows him around, licks him clean everyday, always wants to be with him. So much so that my older has stopped being as affectionate with us, which sucks but he's warming back up little by little. It just takes time. They'll get along, you just can't force it. I'll attach a pic and you can see how much love is in this house

Attachments