Can You Share Experiences About Working With Abused Cats?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have reported people but nothing seems to happen. Lots of irresponsible pet owners where I live. They always say they'll get back to you or that they'll "look into it right away" but nothing happens. Especially when it involves cats. But dogs on the other hand, geez... If you don't take matters into your own hands sometimes, lives will be lost. It's a very failed and broken system.
Please don't give up and continue to report these devils. Thank you for your caring.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing, protecting, and loving Cinnamon, and Rocket. In future, if you see anyone doing anything harmful to a cat, please call the authorities. It is a felony to harm ANY cat in all 50 US States, and we must report this whenever we know about it.
Agreed. With Cinnamon I was 10 and it was pre-cellphone days. If I saw it today I would call the police assuming the guy stuck around long enough. From my recollection the whole thing from when I saw him throwing Cinnamon until Cinnamon was with us was less than 3 minutes. The guy disappeared around the end of the block.

Rocket she wasn't abused physically in any way. The woman left out food (horrible MeowMix for kittens and nursing moms) and didn't do anything actively harmful. She just didn't spay/neuter, provide vet visits and her sons were large scary and prone to outbursts (psychological problems). Rocket was feral and didn't know humans because the woman never interacted with them; just watched "her kittens" through the window and refused access to her property to do anything about the group. Animal control was called but she was feeding them and our area doesn't have a limit on the number of cats. Since the kittens rarely were older than 6 months before vanishing; the cats present didn't look bad enough for them to take. Luckily her landlord stepped in (when she heard about animal control) and enforced the lease pet limits and we got Rocket.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. With Cinnamon I was 10 and it was pre-cellphone days. If I saw it today I would call the police assuming the guy stuck around long enough. From my recollection the whole thing from when I saw him throwing Cinnamon until Cinnamon was with us was less than 3 minutes. The guy disappeared around the end of the block.

Rocket she wasn't abused physically in any way. The woman left out food (horrible MeowMix for kittens and nursing moms) and didn't do anything actively harmful. She just didn't spay/neuter, provide vet visits and her sons were large scary and prone to outbursts (psychological problems). Rocket was feral and didn't know humans because the woman never interacted with them; just watched "her kittens" through the window and refused access to her property to do anything about the group. Animal control was called but she was feeding them and our area doesn't have a limit on the number of cats. Since the kittens rarely were older than 6 months before vanishing; the cats present didn't look bad enough for them to take. Luckily her landlord stepped in (when she heard about animal control) and enforced the lease pet limits and we got Rocket.
Yes, so grateful for technology! to document crimes and preserve evidence.
So glad Rocket is safe and loved in your care.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure to what degree Taz was abused but he was most definitely neglected. I consider neglect to be abuse. He wanted to eat off my wife's plate and I don't think he was fed proper kitten food. He wanted on her plate like it was the normal thing for him to do. It took a few weeks of putting him at his feeding station whenever he tried to get on my wife's plate. On occasion he will try to go after people food so we have to remember to never leave a plate of food unattended. Getting him to stop going after my wife's food and get him to eat kitten food took a bit of time and patience.

Seeing the people that had Taz weren't properly feeding him I had to assume he had never been to a vet so his first vet visit with me was treated as his first vet visit. A few visits and he got checkup, deworm, shots, neutered, tested for diseases and id chipped.

Taz has what I feel is an irrational fear of dogs. I don't have a dog but my friend has two. First time he brought his dogs by Zoe sat on top of a cabinet watching them and Taz went into hiding. Next time he brought them over I went looking for Taz and found him in my office as high up as he could get cowering in the tightest corner he could get into. If Taz is outside in our yard and hears a dog bark he bolts to the door and wants in desperately. I think that someone allowed a dog to maul Taz when he was a kitten but I am not certain of that.

My friend's dogs are very well behaved. I was hoping if my friend brought his dogs by the odd time that maybe Taz would realize they aren't going to hurt him. I was hoping curiosity would get the better of him but he cowers and my wife doesn't like that so I had my friend stop bringing his dogs by. We don't have a dog and no plan on ever getting one so I guess it is not necessary to put Taz through the stress. I would think that if Taz was exposed to dogs that over time he would adjust to dogs and learn to co-exist just as he learned he won't get food from my wife's plate.

Thankfully we got Taz when he was approximately 3 months old so not a lot of damage was done. I feel bad for people that have severe drug addiction problems. I really hate to say it but I feel they should not have pets. People that don't feed and look after themselves properly are not likely to look after a pet properly. He was the kitten of a couple living in my hometown and my little brother went to school with them. My brother knows they have severe addiction problems and asked the guy to give him the cat. From what my brother described they weren't evil or cruel people just people with a lifestyle not befitting a pet.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure to what degree Taz was abused but he was most definitely neglected. I consider neglect to be abuse. He wanted to eat off my wife's plate and I don't think he was fed proper kitten food. He wanted on her plate like it was the normal thing for him to do. It took a few weeks of putting him at his feeding station whenever he tried to get on my wife's plate. On occasion he will try to go after people food so we have to remember to never leave a plate of food unattended. Getting him to stop going after my wife's food and get him to eat kitten food took a bit of time and patience.

Seeing the people that had Taz weren't properly feeding him I had to assume he had never been to a vet so his first vet visit with me was treated as his first vet visit. A few visits and he got checkup, deworm, shots, neutered, tested for diseases and id chipped.

Taz has what I feel is an irrational fear of dogs. I don't have a dog but my friend has two. First time he brought his dogs by Zoe sat on top of a cabinet watching them and Taz went into hiding. Next time he brought them over I went looking for Taz and found him in my office as high up as he could get cowering in the tightest corner he could get into. If Taz is outside in our yard and hears a dog bark he bolts to the door and wants in desperately. I think that someone allowed a dog to maul Taz when he was a kitten but I am not certain of that.

My friend's dogs are very well behaved. I was hoping if my friend brought his dogs by the odd time that maybe Taz would realize they aren't going to hurt him. I was hoping curiosity would get the better of him but he cowers and my wife doesn't like that so I had my friend stop bringing his dogs by. We don't have a dog and no plan on ever getting one so I guess it is not necessary to put Taz through the stress. I would think that if Taz was exposed to dogs that over time he would adjust to dogs and learn to co-exist just as he learned he won't get food from my wife's plate.

Thankfully we got Taz when he was approximately 3 months old so not a lot of damage was done. I feel bad for people that have severe drug addiction problems. I really hate to say it but I feel they should not have pets. People that don't feed and look after themselves properly are not likely to look after a pet properly. He was the kitten of a couple living in my hometown and my little brother went to school with them. My brother knows they have severe addiction problems and asked the guy to give him the cat. From what my brother described they weren't evil or cruel people just people with a lifestyle not befitting a pet.
Oh, I'd have no apology for agreeing! Anyone who is not personally responsible cannot (and should not be able to fail to ) give anyone else the care they need. It's like the old cliche: If you don't love yourself, you can't love anyone else. So grateful Taz has found his way to you! (I'm scared of/don't like dogs, so I understand Taz's feelings! One of the best things for me was getting our cat supplies delivered, so I no longer have to endure being in close proximity to dogs at Petco.)