Buyer wants a refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know his residential address? Nothing less than walking into his home is going to work if he refuses to give her back voluntarily. I am sure if he really cared about her, he would have told you the vet's name and employer.
He is in no way obligated to do that. Walking onto his property in such a manner to sieze what is no longer OPs property would also be highly illegal and liable for police to get involved. There’s absolutely no evidence the kitten is being mistreated.

at a guess the buyer may feel threatened by OP and doesn’t want to mention details of the vet clinic so he doesn’t give away his general location.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any dominant white cat can produce a deaf white kitten, regardless of hearing loss in their lineage. Breeding DW to DW and DW to a cat with white increases risk, as does breeding cats with blue eyes. However, a litter from a green eyed white cat and a orange eyed black tabby can still produce deaf white kittens.

You can reduce the risk, but ultimately it’s luck. Also why any kittens that are under suspicion of being deaf should be BAER tested prior to sale.
What is the BAER test?

I have met a green-eyed deaf white cat at a shelter. Even though his eyes are not blue, I assume the cause is genetic.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is in no way obligated to do that. Walking onto his property in such a manner to seize what is no longer OP's property would also be highly illegal and liable for police to get involved. There’s absolutely no evidence the kitten is being mistreated.

At a guess the buyer may feel threatened by OP and doesn’t want to mention details of the vet clinic so he doesn’t give away his general location.
I did not mean it that way. Some animal rescue organizations require adopters to let a volunteer do post-adoption home checks. They are scheduled with the adopter, so there is no trespassing. It is just to make sure the kitten is being treated by a good person and in a loving, safe, caring home. This is completely legal.

There is no evidence of mistreatment without a home visit. However, refusal to identify that vet is a red flag. On every adoption contract a required question is the vet's name. There is a reason for that. Adoption forms also always have the prospective adopter's address as a required section, so anyone who does not want people to know their general location is automatically rejected.

This guy who bought an odd-eyed white cat without knowing if she can hear with both ears or not is an example of why animal rescue organizations require more personal information than the adopter's name and telephone number.

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the BAER test?

I have met a green-eyed deaf white cat at a shelter. Even though his eyes are not blue, I assume the cause is genetic.
A formal diagnostic hearing test conducted by a vet.

The cause is the cat being white. Any white cat regardless of eye colour has a chance of being born deaf.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not mean it that way. Some animal rescue organizations require adopters to let a volunteer do post-adoption home checks. They are scheduled with the adopter, so there is no trespassing. It is just to make sure the kitten is being treated by a good person and in a loving, safe, caring home. This is completely legal.

There is no evidence of mistreatment without a home visit. However, refusal to identify the vet is a red flag. On every adoption contract a required question is the vet's name. There is a reason for that.
OP has absolutely no leg to stand on given the way they both bred and selling the kitten are illegal. If they went through the proper government channels, microchipped and properly vet checked their kitten prior to sale, and had both the animal they bred and produce registered with the government as is REQUIRED by law, they wouldn’t be having this issue. Especially since they would have know whether the kitten was deaf prior to sale. They would also have known who the kitten was now registered with in terms of vet clinic. Now that the kitten is no longer their legal property they have no right to demand to know the vet clinic the kitten is being taken to. OP has no right to the kitten in any capacity. You can’t retroactively say you want to do a post-adoption check up, either.

I’m with the buyer on this, given there’s no evidence of mistreatment of the kitten. It’s a perfectly normal reaction to be pissed off a breeder didn’t disclose or even notice a potentially deaf kitten. I wouldn’t want the person not leaving me alone about the kitten I bought and decided to keep, despite the issues, the address of my vet, either.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
T

There is no evidence of mistreatment without a home visit. However, refusal to identify that vet is a red flag. On every adoption contract a required question is the vet's name. There is a reason for that. Adoption forms also always have the prospective adopter's address as a required section, so anyone who does not want people to know their general location is automatically rejected.
My impression is that this sale had no contract and was not legal in the first place, so the owner would be perfectly in his right to trespass OP if she tried to visit.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So everything I stated is useless to the OP. Now how can someone who illegally sold an unvaccinated kitten without doing a hearing test or getting her microchipped first have peace of mind that there will be no harm done?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
So everything I stated is useless to the OP. Now how can someone who illegally sold an unvaccinated kitten without doing a hearing test or getting her microchipped first have peace of mind that there will be no harm done?
They can’t, at this stage. They’ll be lucky if the buyer doesn’t report them for illegal breeding and owning of unregistered intact cats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I mean I would have vaccinated the kitten myself at my local vet at an affordable price if he wanted the kitten vaccinated but he was happy to taken the kitten as she is and vaccinate himself. Why now is he trying to male me pay for that? He didn't reply back to me until now. Which likely mean he hasn't made the booking
What if next sunday he calls me to say his vet thinks my kitten is sick and demands a refund of the kitten and the vaccination?
I'm considering refunding him now because the kittens returning only after couple of days, I would be more reluctant if he demands it after more than a week kittens been with him
Ah, memories arise. Mom and dad sold our willa and we moved into another place. They of course made sure everything was cleaned - twice.
The buyer however told the cleaning wasnt good, and demanded payment to let a professional firm do it.

They had an allergic child, and we had a cat. So I understand they wanted a professional firm do an extra cleaning. But they did abuse us by this accusation of not a good cleaning. They should make this extra cleaning themselves. I mean, its not our fault nor responsibility their child was allergic. WE did what we should and could, did cleaned up everything at least twice.

So, once again. Either get the cat back as soon you can arrange it, and repay his costs, ie his buying cost
Or say a flat no, mentioning you DID offered him to buy the cat back.

Do NOT discuss nor seek compromises with a cheater. HE is used to quarrel to being manipulative, to lie. You are not, so you will lose every quarrel.

Just quit the situation as soon you can. And dont think too much about this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. As the other stated. Whatever happens here, you did it all very amateurish. Nothing peculiar with it, if you got an accidental litter, and are a complete amateur in this. Such happens.

But you see here, if you have ANY plans on breeding on any regular basis, you must think over and do organize ALL your routines. To do it the proper way. So both you, the cats, and the buyers are protected, and nobody wide open to villains nor misunderstandings..

Why, its not impossible HE honestly thinks YOU are a villain... So, inform yourself and organize everything better in the future. Take this event as part of your learning money, part of your education.

Or simply, spay your cats and live happy thereafter. :)
Not everybody is made of the clay which forms good breeders. (ps, Im not ironic nor mocking. WE ourself, missus and me, we are NOT owners of females, because of our deficiencies as potential breeders. This is why our resident cats are boys / studs. Its easier this way).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have to agree with StefanZ StefanZ 's last post.
S skrumtuoscatlayd you really don't have any rights here as you are not following the Information for Breeders protocols defined by the NSW government.
There is nothing to say that this person is going to create trouble, unless there is more going on that we don't know about.
Stefan is also right when he says that you need to consider what you are doing in terms of breeding cats. It's not being done correctly and so you leave yourself (and the kittens) open to all sorts of problems.

The issue has been well discussed and so we will lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.