Buyer wants a refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand he has not paid the vet yet.

What day did he buy the kitten from you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He took her on this saturday so on the 2nd of Oct. Do you think he's trying get more money from me?

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not really but I feel like he'll ask me to pay for the vaccination booking if I ask him to bring her back

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I should just leave it? I feel worried about her though

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just call him and ask if he’s sure he wants to keep her. Ask him why he changed his mind since a vet booking can be cancelled.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He clearly texted me that he already made a payment online

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So its if I want to take her back I need to reimburse him

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is that what he said?

The booking has not been used. He gets his money back from the vet.

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Idk. I asked him whether he can cancel the booking and return the kitten and waiting for the reply

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if he will divulge the name of the vet but don’t tip him off. Tell him you need a nice vet and is that one kind? Chat with him in a positive way. Find out things like what he named the kitty. Then find out from the vet if they are booked. If possible, tell the vet you have concerns. Although they may not tell you medical info, they might let you know if the person has booked. They might tell you more. If you can get an address from the person and are concerned, maybe you can have authorities check in? Another Avenue you could take is asking him to bring the kitty by or meet in a public place and bring a paper receipt for the vaccine appointment your records. I would be careful using this though since he might withdraw contact if he is just after money.
You can offer to pay in person and if he comes for payment, make him sign a contract!! This is a bit tricky but might be worth giving up some money for peace of mind. In the contract get address, allowances to check on kitty, receive texts and photo updates, an assurance that if the kitty must go elsewhere it is returned to you and only you, assurances of regular vet care, the name of vet and permission to talk to the vet about the kitty as needed by you, If you can establish a friendly conversation and start a dialogue to gain trust, things could improve greatly. You don’t really have to become friends but positive conversations may give you information so you know things are okay or can get the kitten back. If you meet this person , have someone else with you as witness to any conversation or payments. If this person really wants money, they are likely to accept many requests from you. Maybe even give you an address to have a service deliver the funds. I would not go there alone. This may be a simple issue of the person feeling bad about a hearing deficit kitten but it is always better to take precautions with anyone you don’t know.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But is there anyway I can test whether she's really deaf or not?
surely you are BAER testing the parents prior to breeding.

But I've had siituation where a kitten was returned after a day was sick and distressed.
of course this is your responsibility as a breeder.
The kitten won’t have have been processed out of the mandatory government database yet, nor the mandatory microchip database that I’m sure your familiar with and not breaking the law or risking the large fines applying to every person selling or giving away animals.

Your local council laws also apply, typically requiring vaccinations and a minimum 3 day health guarantee so be very careful about refusing the return or paying back monies if you’re not abiding by these regulations as it’ll come back on you in court.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you're making some assumptions about where this person lives. In the US, there are no government databases like the ones you mention, nor "local councils."
As per many of their previous posts, OP is in Australia, where owning intact cats and dogs and breeding has strict laws.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We didn't write any contract. Just exchanged kitten and money. The person said he wanted an odd eye so he came and paid for the kitten but then a day later he texted me that he cannot withstand a deaf cat and he wants a refund and I should provide a solution as I did not state that in the ad. I do not know whether she's deaf or not because I never thought she could be deaf as she sees alright
Im late. But there is no coherency in this. If he cant stand a deaf cat, he hasnt no use to get a refund.
I suggest you take the kitten back; and yes, repay him in full.

This way you are sure the kitten will come to a better home, and you wont have no more troubles with him.

How its legally, Im not sure. Such exchange kitten for money without any papper nor agreements, I really dont think you MUST do anything.
Its well known white cats are often deaf, and even odd eyed cats may be more or less deaf. He should know this if he is interested in such a cat.

So if he is careless and stupid, he cant demand much on you. Unless he directly asked you if the kitten was healthy and with good hearing on both ears, and you confirmed the hearing was at least OK... I also presume you arent no professional seller; if you were professional or semi pro you would exchange contracts and receipts.

I suspect he wants to cheat you. "eat up the cake and still have it" as the swedish proverb says.
Yet another reason just to reverse the buy, and forget him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said, its not usual to prepay the vet. BUT if its done, he has the recipe and confirmation from the vet; and IF the payment cant be reimbursed, you can probably yourself fulfill this vaccination with this vet. The kitten must be vaccinated anyway, so its really mo extra cost for you.

So, either you take the kitten back, and go on from there.
OR, if he is keeping the kitten, he has no use of any refund. So you say no. You are offering to take the kitten back which covers any legal problems. You dont need to discuss any compromises.

And yeah, I too think he wish to "blow you". If he does it all out, and doesnt care about the kitten at all;
or just eating up the cake and have it still, is the next question.

Last edited:

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mean I would have vaccinated the kitten myself at my local vet at an affordable price if he wanted the kitten vaccinated but he was happy to taken the kitten as she is and vaccinate himself. Why now is he trying to male me pay for that? He didn't reply back to me until now. Which likely mean he hasn't made the booking
What if next sunday he calls me to say his vet thinks my kitten is sick and demands a refund of the kitten and the vaccination?
I'm considering refunding him now because the kittens returning only after couple of days, I would be more reluctant if he demands it after more than a week kittens been with him

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What was his reply? Is he willing to return the kitten to you now for a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.