Buddy - The Making Of An Adventure Cat?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love how alert he always looks... very bright-eyed, smart kitty.

I took my first kitty out on occasional walks, but she kept "exploring" the blackberry bushes... and lemme tell ya, it was no fun trying to get her out of them! She was a good traveler, but eventually we moved to a place where she had to stay indoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I have a picture somewhere in this thread with the tent I purchased for Buddy when we try some overnight backpacking trips.
I purchased the tent because I sleep in a custom made hammock. My backpacking hammock costs $$ and made of a very light material (weighs 15oz) I was afraid he claws might damage it.
I thought about it and not crazy about having him stay in the tent beside my hammock. I'd rather him be in the hammock with me.
So after asking on the hammock forum I belong to and getting suggestions of either a heavier material or some inexpensive hammocks, I came to the best option of an inexpensive hammock. A heavier material from the makers I used for my other 3 hammocks would cost too much. Most inexpensive ones already use a heavier more robust material. After checking out the less expensive ones on the web and Youtube I found one that I liked best. I purchased an Equip Hammock for just under $27.00. It does weigh in at 32 oz after trashing the crap suspension they send with the hammock and adding my own continuous loops.
I think I'll have no issues sleeping in it. From the test today it has a very nice lay.

Today Buddy is a step closer on going on an overnight trip. We went out hiking today for a bit, then set up the hammock to see how he would do.
You be the judge....

DSCN7329C.jpg

DSCN7351C.jpg

DSCN7362C.jpg

GOPR1485C.jpg

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't been getting alerts on this but, one popped up today. Looks like Buddy's coming along great and, your doing a great job. Catching up on the thread , your tactics have given me some ideas to try with Manny. I doubt Manny will ever be an adventure cat because of his past and getting spooked so easily but, he continues to make great progress! Keep up the great work!

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy got to try bicycling today. It was really hot today so I only went out for about 8 minutes with him.

I purchased a DoggyRide Cocoon back in early May to use to take Buddy on bicycle rides.

I purchased the adapter to mount the Cocoon to the bike that attached to the bike handlebars.

When I received my items I realized the Cocoon did not fit the adapter I purchased. I ended up calling the maker of the Cocoon and asked what was going on. They told me they are in the process of a redesign of the mounting system and it will not be ready for a few months. L

Although after speaking to them, the new mounting system sounded so much better than the old one. The old one attached to the handle bars of the bike. So when turning, the Cocoon moves with the handlebars. The weight of whatever is in the Cocoon shifts the balance of the bike in the turn. The redesign mounting attaches to the frame of the bike. So when turning it does not move, so it does not shift the balance of the bike at all.

Well yesterday it arrived and I attached it to my Giant bicycle.

1st impressions; man this is heavy. It weighs in just under 5 pounds. It defiantly is sturdy and I feel confident with Buddy using the system.

I used LockTight on the screws that attached the mounting plate to the Cocoon. I was afraid that after some time of riding the nuts could work loose.

The mount uses screws and wing nuts to attach to the frame of the bike. I was a little surprised that there were no lock washers to lock the wing nuts in place. Again, I was worried that they may work loose over time. I did not add any lock washers yet, as I may just use the LockTight as this part will always be attached to the frame.

The extension over the front tire that holds the basket can be removed when not using the Cocoon. This is what I was thinking I was going to do, but think I’ll just leave it there all the time.

I’ll know for sure when I really get to put the system to the test, but I’m thinking it a big thumbs up.

DSCN8917C.jpg

DSCN8906C.jpg

DSCN8902C.jpg

DSCN8896C.jpg

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what did Buddy make of biking? Did he look out over the front wheel or was he looking back at you?
He was looking out front and sides watching where we were going.
I had him out a second time, again for a short ride. He again watched where we were going, but tried to lay down a time or 2. He sat back up so he could look around.
Waiting for the weather to cooperate to get him out on the rail trail and around other bikers.

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents tell me it’s a very special day for me. They say it’s my birthday and that I’m 1 year old today.

I don’t have a good concept of time and what the significance of 1 year old means, but I was fed my favorite raw food tonight. Boneless Pork Loin, so I’m digging this birthday thing.

They got me this weird object, Dad called a balloon. It effortlessly hovers in the air. After figuring out that it was not out to attack me, I chewed on the long dangly leg hanging off it. I don’t think it liked that as some of the times it lunged at me.

It got real close to the ground when I was eating my pork. I think it wanted to eat it too. Thankfully it just hung out and watched me eat.

DSCN8962C.jpg

DSCN8961C.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have a picture somewhere in this thread with the tent I purchased for Buddy when we try some overnight backpacking trips.
I purchased the tent because I sleep in a custom made hammock. My backpacking hammock costs $$ and made of a very light material (weighs 15oz) I was afraid he claws might damage it.
I thought about it and not crazy about having him stay in the tent beside my hammock. I'd rather him be in the hammock with me.
So after asking on the hammock forum I belong to and getting suggestions of either a heavier material or some inexpensive hammocks, I came to the best option of an inexpensive hammock. A heavier material from the makers I used for my other 3 hammocks would cost too much. Most inexpensive ones already use a heavier more robust material. After checking out the less expensive ones on the web and Youtube I found one that I liked best. I purchased an Equip Hammock for just under $27.00. It does weigh in at 32 oz after trashing the crap suspension they send with the hammock and adding my own continuous loops.
I think I'll have no issues sleeping in it. From the test today it has a very nice lay.

Today Buddy is a step closer on going on an overnight trip. We went out hiking today for a bit, then set up the hammock to see how he would do.
You be the judge....

View attachment 227006

View attachment 227007
View attachment 227008
View attachment 227009
:clap::salam::clap2: :heartshape:

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. I'd like to know what too. The current system I have for Luciano is a harness with plastic clip for around his body right behind his front paws & an attached loop that goes over his head. Unfortunately when the leash is taut, he can slip out of the neck/head part & then wiggle/walk out of the rest. More unfortunately, this happened moments after these photos were taken and he was out of reach for me and it was the longest 10 minutes I can remember.
IMG_2145[1].JPG
IMG_2146[1].JPG
IMG_2147[1].JPG