Brush for a cat that hates to be brushed

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
have you found a brush or comb that works for you?
A wire brush may be to pokey and therefore you cat does not like being brushed.

I use a short soft bristle brush for my boy and he loves being brushed. Also I use a sticky roller on him which also does a good job. After brushing , I use a fine tooth comb and run through the brush ti get the hair out of it.

Just remember to clear the floor of loose hair that has fallen off during brushing so that your cat don't lie on it and groom himself and take in the loose hair and take it up into his system.

IMG_3492.JPG

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A wire brush may be to pokey and therefore you cat does not like being brushed.

I use a short soft bristle brush for my boy and he loves being brushed. Also I use a sticky roller on him which also does a good job. After brushing , I use a fine tooth comb and run through the brush ti get the hair out of it.

Just remember to clear the floor of loose hair that has fallen off during brushing so that your cat don't lie on it and groom himself and take in the loose hair and take it up into his system.

View attachment 463058
Baby brushes you can get them on amazon or probably anywhere that sells stuff for babies.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, a domestic short hair, sheds quite a bit and I feel like the Greek mythological character Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a hill when it comes to vacuuming. When I attempt to brush him, he resists. He doesn't vocalize but he'll swat at and try to bite the brush and move away. I'll admit I'm using a wire brush, this one in particular https://www.chewy.com/safari-self-cleaning-slicker-brush/dp/46214 which I know isn't ideal. So, for those in the same predicament as me, have you found a brush or comb that works for you?
TIA
My oldest surprisingly only likes the metal oval like dog shedding brushes🤦‍♀️ She absolutely hates the paddle like metal bristles, boar brush and flea combs. Years ago I had a black cat who loved a silicone one that had points on it and fit in your palm and it would create static electricity to help the hair come out more. You could also try just damping a paper towel or towel to grab the loose hair. That way obviously doesn't work as a good brushing, but can help with shedding seasons. Another tip you could try is running your fingers like a comb through his hair. Good luck😊

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried numerous brushes over the year and she hated them ALL. The result was neglected areas and matted clumps which hurt when I went over them..until I used olive oil on them for 3 days(but that is another topic)
Now she loves the wire self cleaning brush that was shown at the top of the thread as well as a wooden boar bristle. She loves them! What happened? BRIBES!
I first show her the brush and let her smell it and see what is going to happen, coming from the front rather than as a surprise from the back. SHowing doesn;t work the first time, though.
Then I brush her as she eats 2 or 3 Kibbles! She ends the session with 2 treats.
Now I only give her a few treats at the end of the brushing session and she looks forward to getting brushed because there will be a treat at the end.
Now I have less hair shedding , less frequent hairball hurling and no matted knots behind the ears.