Brush for a cat that hates to be brushed

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, a domestic short hair, sheds quite a bit and I feel like the Greek mythological character Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a hill when it comes to vacuuming. When I attempt to brush him, he resists. He doesn't vocalize but he'll swat at and try to bite the brush and move away. I'll admit I'm using a wire brush, this one in particular https://www.chewy.com/safari-self-cleaning-slicker-brush/dp/46214 which I know isn't ideal. So, for those in the same predicament as me, have you found a brush or comb that works for you?
TIA

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have probably 5 different brushes. A furminator, a rubber brush with different textures, a tangle teaser, a small regular hair brush, and a little boar bristle brush. I also have one of those silly grooming gloves. Most hate the furminator because it's pretty extreme. Also, right now I have a cat who gets over-stimulated so he bites brushes after a few strokes. But it's about finding the one you can get them to do. Better to take off some loose hair than none at all.

helene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I brought one of our cats (Hazel - to the left, in the photo) to the vet. for her annual check-up, I brought all of the grooming tools I'd been using on and off, in different combinations, over the years. Hazel is a short-hair, and Cleo, formerly feral, is a medium-hair cat. I had the kind of wire brush shown in the first post.
And also:
a soft boar bristle brush Amazon.com

a comb Amazon.com

a furminator Amazon.com

another kind of deshedder Amazon.com

and another very small brush with medium-stiff bristles. My vet. - who is wonderful, in all ways - told me to keep the comb and the smallest brush, and to buy a pair of grooming gloves. Grooming gloves are primarily what she uses on her cats.

I told her that Cleo is skittish about most things and would probably never come near the grooming gloves.
And they do look scary: Amazon.com

I was so wrong. Cleo took to them immediately, and can't get enough of them. Hazel loves them, too, and all is well.

Of course, not every cat will take to them, but I was shocked and delighted that it took about a nanosecond for both of them to fall in love.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised it hasn't been meantioned but I have had luck with baby brushes. Like the ones with soft bristles.
Amazon.ca

like this kind.

ive tried zoomer groomers but they are too clunky and i think the rubber spikes scare some animals it was the purple cat shaped one. My friends golden lab likes it though so i gave it to them. Dogs seem to love zoomer groomers...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found cats that hate brushes tolerate combs, in many cases, much better. I'd find a greyhound comb, it's wide tooth on one side and fine tooth on the other. Also, make sure there isn't a lot of static being generated when you're brushing or combing as they get a small shock every time the tool touches them!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found cats that hate brushes tolerate combs, in many cases, much better. I'd find a greyhound comb, it's wide tooth on one side and fine tooth on the other. Also, make sure there isn't a lot of static being generated when you're brushing or combing as they get a small shock every time the tool touches them!
Grabbing a pipe or tap somewhere before hand can help with the stattic. pipes are grounded so the static will go to the pipe. Learned this working with computers. Must be a copper pipe though. Pvc ones don't conduct

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Grabbing a pipe or tap somewhere before hand can help with the stattic. pipes are grounded so the static will go to the pipe. Learned this working with computers. Must be a copper pipe though. Pvc ones don't conduct
That's a really great idea, I never thought of that!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who loves this Zoom Groom and one who doesn't but will tolerate it for a minute
View attachment 462956
Thats the one that I gave to my friends golden lab. She loves it and licks the air if you scratch her back with it. Dogs deffinatly love these.

My cats on the other hand hated it. Indy tried to bite me and Kabuto ran away.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought gloves for brushing. Every time she comes by I give a swipe. I also discovered her favorite place to bebrushed,her back near her tail. Do it when she has just awoken

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty loves brushing! She has a beauty bar. The glove probably pulls off the most hair. But that may not be such a good thing. The Zoom Groom also pulls off a lot of hair. But she also enjoys the slicker brush and the two Instagram buys: the flower (orange with green handle) is okay but the pink clamshell doesn’t do anything except give her scritches. She doesn’t object to any of them. She probably enjoys the slicker the best. I will present it to her tines up and she’ll rub her face across it.

I would say the Love Glove and the Zoom Groom are the two best for cats who don’t like slicker brushes.
5B1E58A5-DA22-42B0-94D6-13724AA32812.jpeg 044ACAA6-965C-4839-989D-F3CF1E1628EC.jpeg BA62D8A4-C223-4641-9AF2-B5C351D1BB43.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Betty loves brushing! She has a beauty bar. The glove probably pulls off the most hair. But that may not be such a good thing. The Zoom Groom also pulls off a lot of hair. But she also enjoys the slicker brush and the two Instagram buys: the flower (orange with green handle) is okay but the pink clamshell doesn’t do anything except give her scritches. She doesn’t object to any of them. She probably enjoys the slicker the best. I will present it to her tines up and she’ll rub her face across it.

I would say the Love Glove and the Zoom Groom are the two best for cats who don’t like slicker brushes.
View attachment 463003View attachment 463004View attachment 463005
Betty looks quite proud of her collection!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a few types as well. I use them in combination. I have a horse deshedder, a fine tooth one, a silicone glove, a fine tooth regular human comb and a furminator. The furminator is definitely a must during shedding seasons.

Nobel didn't tolerate brushing well so I gave up and shaved his belly and bum.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a few types as well. I use them in combination. I have a horse deshedder, a fine tooth one, a silicone glove, a fine tooth regular human comb and a furminator. The furminator is definitely a must during shedding seasons.

Nobel didn't tolerate brushing well so I gave up and shaved his belly and bum.
Levi had a few "home haircuts" as well. He wasn't crazy about being brushed and would tangle and mat in areas that would get shaved or kept trimmed short.