Bring Feral With Me Or Leave Behind?

dhruska211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you can make her a house (rubbermaid containers) but large enough for her to stand up in. Just remember - about the litter. I brought mama cat in - was taking her to be spayed. I decided to leave her out of the trap in a bathroom - (big mistake) her feet never touched the floor. first leap was on top of my shower door onto the window sill and vanity. She had no idea what the litter box was for........
It took me 3 month and am able to pet her now. Only with one hand. Please be careful. I've been bitten twice - its not fun. Good Luck. (go to estate sales - I find stuff for cats all the time)

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she is only going to be in the trap for a minute or two, long enough for you to bring her up into her room, I don't think it matters which trap you use. Throw a blanket or towel over the trap as soon as she is trapped. It will protect your hands from getting scratched or bitten through the trap, and will also calm her down. It wouldn't be a bad idea to wear thick work gloves when carrying the trap into the room and releasing her.

It would be good for you to know if there is someone else feeding her. Can you ask around and find out? I was surprised at how many neighbors on my block were feeding the first feral cat I cared for. Eventually we all communicated with each other and I became his primary caregiver. It would be great if someone else was feeding your feral besides yourself in case it doesn't work out for her to be indoors and move with you. Not all adult feral cats can adjust to being confined indoors. If she caterwauls, and frantically scales the walls and windows to escape, and this last for more than a few days, then you might consider releasing her back outside if there is already a caregiver. Or perhaps you could find another caregiver to feed her when you move. For an adult feral cat, sometimes the stress of confinement is greater than the stress of being on their own outdoors. It's definitely worth a try though, I think you will need to make the attempt for your own peace of mind.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I apologize PROFUSELY if my advice is overlapping (or even contradicting) anything anyone's said above. I normally read the whole thread - - but it's late and I'm trying really hard to come down with something :( So going to head to be bed - - but wanted to write what we've done when we bring in ferals or semi-ferals with the intent to socialize.

I've socialized feral, semi-feral, and just "scaredy cats" for years, and if I've learned one thing it's that (like people) every single one has their own internal timetable...darnit! And what a loving, selfless thing for you to do - taking this feral/semi-feral furry soul into your home to hopefully socialize her! Very few people are willing to/can take the time/energy to do that - but in the end, every time for me (and hubby) it's been beyond rewarding. So just remember, when you're having a frustrating day with your furry girl, that while progress may be slower than you'd like, you're very likely going to be her best shot at learning to trust. I always try to think of it from their point of view - avoiding humans was ingrained into her brain at birth. So avoiding - making herself seem "invisible" - is what kept her alive in the outside world. My analogy I always use is it's how would I feel if I were plucked up by a big alien I'd been taught I should fear-that I couldn't speak their language so I don't know if the noises they make mean they're friendly or going to make me into stew the next day. Then I'm shoved in a cage, where I STILL don't have a clue. You just have to get her to eventually understand "your language" (and the language of food is about as close as it gets for kitties - -just like people!)...and that you aren't fattening her up for next week's stew. You're just plain fattening her up. :)

Urban Cat league out of New York has a set of 3 videos that are really good - the one I linked below is #3, but they're all really fascinating to watch.

As always :) msaimee msaimee is right :) If you can find out (subtly) if anyone else is also feeding her - that's a great thing to do, for the reasons she explained. Not every adult feral is able to be socialized - but it's beyond fantastic you're willing to try. If you succeed - her life will be immeasurably safer, longer, and more comfortable. But if someone else is feeding her, you won't feel quite as bad if you do need to re-release her (after giving her a decent amount of time - and all of us here will tell you that time differs from cat to cat). But if someone else is feeding her - - it also lets them know why she's disappeared. I can't tell you how panicked we were over one feral that went missing - until we discovered she was "double dipping" - - - eating at a neighbor's house one street over, and using their shelter when she wanted a little vacation from our shelters! So if you can determine if anyone else is helping feed/care for her - - it will give them peace of mind.

I would use the spare room vs the screened in porch. A terrified cat will work their way out of a screened in porch in no time at all. What I've found works best for us is setting aside a spare room (I realize that's not always possible but sounds like you have that option), and it needs to be 110% "cat proofed." I've been socializing for years, but I have to say I never cease to be amazed what a terrified cat/kitten can squeeze themselves behind/under/into!!!! So we use our guest room Ours has a bed and cable, so I never have to miss a bad Bravo Housewives show while socializing! Plus eventually, I work on sleeping in the room with them. If there's a bed, put the mattress directly on the floor...make sure every possible hidey-hole is plugged up...we stack books around the base of dressers, etc...make sure all closets, etc are completely closed. If there's a small possibility they'll find somewhere to squeeze - they'll find it.

We always start them in the spare room (door always closed), inside a large dog crate (ours is great dane type size - - -and if you don't have one, check with friends with large dogs - -they might be willing to loan theirs out. Into the dog crate, at the back, we place a cat carrier with the door removed, and soft fabric or fleece inside the carrier (we try to avoid towels, since ferals generally have long nails that I doubt you'll be clipping anytime soon - - and they can get them caught in the terrycloth loops - - which can cause a bit of a panic). We drape the back half of the dog crate with sheets - so that the back half is totally covered - -top, sides and back. We add a litterbox at the back so that it's as far from her food/water as possible. We cover the crate bottom with newspaper, add another nice piece of fleece, and also add a shoebox on top of the cat carrier (that we secure to either the carrier or the crate - -just so that it won't topple off) with fleece in it - we call this the "kitty condo." This, until she starts to trust you a bit, will all be her "safe zone"-a cave where she can feel secure, but you can still get to her. I put a small stuffed animal in there for them to snuggle with if it's a single kitty. I can tell their starting to feel more comfortable in the room when they start venturing out and sleeping in the "kitty condo"!

I leave either music (some people like classical, but I use a mix -like an NPR station that has soothing music AND people talking) on 24/7. Or I leave the tv on softly on a very "non-scream/non-gunshot/explosion" changel - like HGTV. The tv and/or radio does double duty ---the voices get her to be more accustomed to various human voices -- and they serve as a bit of "white noise" so that every sound she hears in the house doesn't panic her. I also always put little toys in the crate so that she has something to keep her mind occupied at times.

You'll be tempted to let her out quickly. But keeping her in there until you see some signs of trust in you really is best --and will in the long run, shorten socializing time.

I'm sure someone's already mentioned Gerbers baby food. I couldn't socialize without Gerbers Stage 2 chicken baby food. it stinks to high heaven, but it's so attractive to most cats we all call it "kitty crack." In the beginning, I put a little on a long-handled tea spoon ---or even better, an extendable spoon (they have them on Amazon) and put it thru the crate sides, talking softly while I offer it. The idea is that eventually she'll associate the addictive yumminess of it with your presence ---and food is the way to almost every kitty's heart in the beginning. :) If possible I only leave hard food and water out 24/7...then when I'm in the room I bring a little soft food. Again -the idea is that you don't bring anything bad -- you're always the bearer of all things yummy!

The main thing you can't shortcut is time. My husband and I both work from home as graphic designers, so we're able to spend more time with them than most people. I usually take my laptop and sit on the floor and work. Get on her level. Talk with her, softly, about anything & everything. Read aloud. Give color commentary on what's on tv. Anything to get her used to your voice--add that to the occasional spoon of Gerbers and she'll start to realize you only bring good things to her life.

I do also always start talking softly before I even open the door to "her room"---I then knock softly--always saying something similar about "I can't wait to see Twink!" Or "where's my pretty girl". The idea is she'll never be shocked when you enter the room--it may sound goofy but it really does work for me! Surprises aren't good when socializing. Routine, gentleness, moving slowly and talking slowly...those all help.

The main thing is time. And love. And patience. Lots of patience. It'll be two steps forward and then one or two steps back. But 99.8% of the time....the steps forward come more often than the steps back. And there's nothing more rewarding then when you finally realize she's looking forward to coming to be with her!

Sorry if I repeated a million things already said - - I just wanted to put this up once I saw it. Good luck - and keep us posted!!!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think crating or caging a true feral can cause stress and depression in the cat, and while you want to socialize her, you don't want to break her spirit. A cat - proofed spare room with space for the cat to play and move around in, with places to hide like cubby holes in a cat tree, or pet carriers with an open door, or even a box, can provide a safe cave for the cat without confining her in a cage. I do think there is a time and place for crating a feral when necessary, such as after a spay or other surgery to keep her from hurting herself if she's trying to scale the walls and windows. But I personally don't think it's necessary to crate or cage a cat when a spare room can work fine. But I know different people use different methods successfully, so do what you feel comfortable doing, you know your kitty best ☺

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG, I would never crate a cat unless it was post-surgery. I will do the best I can, but I do live in an apartment and I can't have her yowling all night for weeks on end. I will just have to see how it goes using some of the tips given here. I don't think anyone else is feeding her since she shows up 90% of the time on my doorstep morning and dusk. Her "safe" spot is in the bushes between the complex and the shrubs. It took me awhile to find it. She runs if a neighbor comes out of the door, except for me (although she will run if I get too close).

I ordered the Tru-Catch 30 LTD, but it has not arrived yet.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep us posted. From my own experience, I think female feral cats adapt more easily to being indoors than male feral cats. Males, even when neutered, often have the desire to roam and to continue to fight for territory. Since your female is spayed, she won't have the desire to be outside searching for a mate. I know I advised to allow for the possibility that she may not adapt to being confined inside, but I am hopeful this will have a good outcome.

Does she have a name yet? One step in the socialization process is to give her a name that she can become familiar with. When you call her by name, that will create a bond between the two of you. And I know this may sound silly, but each cat that I have cared for not only has a name, but a special song I made up for each one of them. When I am in bed and start to sing one of their songs, the cat whose song it is responds by coming to me. Cats are very perceptive beings and when you feed them, call them by name, and sing to them, they know that you love them.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
msaimee- I made up a song for Maggie the other day, but she hated it. Her ears went back and she ran away. I guess I have a terrible singing voice. :D

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. It helps if you sing in a very soft voice and slow blink your eyes at her.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have been calling her "Apple". Actually, I am not 100% sure she is a girl. I am just running with that since she is small boned. I know what you mean about neutered males still wanting to get out - my boy cat is always trying to run out.

I sing to mine, too! Sometimes they like it, sometimes they flatten their ears, lol!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a song that all of my cats know, and have since they were tiny. Then each cat has his or her own nicknames that they respond to! So many fun ways to communicate!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a song that all of my cats know, and have since they were tiny. Then each cat has his or her own nicknames that they respond to! So many fun ways to communicate!
I sing to mine every day. Silly stuff I make up about how beautiful and sweet they are, how much mommy loves them, etc. Lilith soaks it up like a sponge. She puts her head back, closes her eyes and purrs. She adores being praised and told how pretty and what a good friend she is. Sophie likes it too but Lily is more expressive about it.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a little worried about my cat with hyperesthesia, as she will be stressed with the newcomer, but I'll just keep the home as calm as I can. I am hoping once my little feral gets a taste of air-conditioning, she will decide she likes it much better than the outdoors! We are in a heat wave.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel like I perhaps gave the wrong impression when I spoke about how we socialize and utilize a dog crate with a cat carrier inside?!?! It almost seems as though some people were getting the impression we use the crate like some people crate-train dogs - - using them every day. We definitely do NOT do that. We came to the crating solution after alot of research - and several bad experiences without crating. While we always do pre-cat-proof the room, we only crate using a VERY large, partially covered dog crate, and only until we feel the cat(s)/kitten(s) feel more comfortable with their surroundings and with us....enough to eat, sleep, and in general, feel safer. We generally even start foster cats/kittens in that set-up as it lets them feel that they have a safe space they own and that we don't intrude into. Sometimes it's as short as a few days, sometimes a little longer. But the minute we know they'll feel as comfortable as possible without it, we let them have the complete room (although many choose to sleep in it - or on it - even after they're completely socialized if we get lazy and don't get it out of the room right away). And after well over 100 fosters, some feral, and many needing socialization, we have never had any that I felt we caused any psychological damage to by starting them as we do. We've kept in touch with a large number of the adopters of our fosters - and I'm definitely far from someone who brags, but I feel that we've raised many happy, well-adjusted and very well-loved kitties.

Yes - we all have different ways of doing things - I say that often on here. And I know everyone will never agree on how to do everything. So I know it's probably ridiculous to say that I was hurt by anyone I don't know (I'd make a rotten famous person) - but I will say, it hurt more than a tad to think that anyone believes I'd do anything to damage or break any one of our beloved fosters' spirits. Again - I'd hope none of the comments about using a crate were personal, but it felt that way, especially as I've always looked at this site - and this forum - as an uplifting one.

sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute - I truly wish you luck in however you continue your socialization journey.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kittychick, you have taken in more than 100 fosters - I was too quick to judge the crating method by someone who has cared for so many kitties! Please accept my apologies and I hope you will continue to post. I am so sorry - just been stressed about this whole thing and worried about the transition with the other cats, my landlord finding out, worried about Apple being outside, etc. I didn't realize how my post had sounded - it was insensitive of me. ((big kitty hugs))

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Although your conceens are 100% valid, at some point you need to take a deep breath and just go for it.

Of course the household dynamics will change, but in the long run, it should work out.

The cats will pick up on your anxiety, so try to be low-key and positive.

Have you bought Feliway diffusers yet? They help a lot!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My big boy ran out yesterday (he is neutered, but tries to run out) and I have not seen Apple since. I know he did not hurt her, but I think he spooked her. This has happened before and I didn't see her for a day or two. So frustrated with my big boy! He was back inside within 2 hours. I know she will come back, but she must be hungry.

Yes, I agree I need to remain calm once she is inside or they will all pick up on it. I have anxiety and I need to work on it for all the cat's sake.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws What you said meant alot - - I very, very much appreciate it. I was probably more sensitive than normal, and therefore hurt more than normal, because tomorrow we have to take the last sweetie ("Lexi") in our most recent foster litter of 3 back to the shelter. We usually can find adoptive homes for our fosters before they have to return to the shelter (a great shelter - but a shelter nonetheless), and her brother and sister found homes before needing to return, but this little girl is one we just haven't been able to find a home for:( And we're extra worried about her because, although she's wonderful with us, she's a relatively shy kitty with strangers. Which doesn't bode well for her at the shelter (and to top it off - she's a black and orange tortie - which never adopts as quickly). So I'm mentally a mess. And I think the idea that the way we work with our fosters/ferals hurts them just hit extra close to the bone since I feel like I've failed this sweet little girl. :(

So again - I very much appreciate what you said. I'll think good thoughts for all you're going through!!! Think happy adoption thoughts for Lexi - she needs them :(

Attachments

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittychick, you have not failed Lexi! She probably would not even be alive if not for your care! I know it is hard, but with millions of cats and kittens with no forever home, we can only do what is humanly possible. You have done more than most, certainly more than I have. I have heard Torties are very special, that they have catitude! I will pray Lexi gets a forever home or that she is content in the shelter, which is better than the street! She is gorgeous!

Still no sign of Apple, my Big Boy spooked her when he ran out, but I expect she will be back by dusk. She never stays away for long!

evansmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you want to try Feliway, I have an unopened atomizer and an almost full bottle of the spray just sitting in a cabinet. I'll be happy to send it to you if you're comfortable sharing your mailing address.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a kind offer! Please share your info through personal messages. :)