Bring Feral With Me Or Leave Behind?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding a feral for about 3 months and I will be moving out of state in a few months. Should I trap her and keep her or leave her behind? She is a true feral - I cannot get more than a few feet from her, but she shows up for food twice a day. I live alone with three other cats so she would be stressed at first, but at least she would be safe. Or do I leave her? There is no one else to feed her when I leave, so that is not an option. There are two options only: Trap her/keep her or leave her behind. She is currently in a wooded area behind my apartment building and is not in eminent danger. Btw, she has been spayed because she has the ear notch.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Trap her and take her with you. She depends on you now. She'll need several months to adjust before being allowed outside again or she may get lost. Think about bringing her in now to begin the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I had better start now. It won't be easy - I am moving from one apartment to another, so I will have to do the ole' sneak-a-roo since most places only allow 2 cats, but like you said, she has come to depend on me. I just hope the trapping doesn't traumatize her.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I had better start now. It won't be easy - I am moving from one apartment to another, so I will have to do the ole' sneak-a-roo since most places only allow 2 cats, but like you said, she has come to depend on me. I just hope the trapping doesn't traumatize her.
Thank you so much for caring about this little girl! :hugs:

Yes start now. It may be stressful for her at first but I think she will be fine in the long run. It would be far more traumatizing for her to lose you. She may have a hard time showing it now but she really does appreciate you and everything you do for her. She knows you are her only friend.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes, I think she will be better off. One of my cats - a big boy - is very hyper, but I think she will adjust. The move will require a long road trip, so not sure how I will get 4 cats into a hotel room, but I will worry about that later. For now, I just need to get her inside and get her socialized.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What brand of trap do you all recommend? I have never trapped a feral before. Tomahawk? Haveahart? Tru-Catch?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One last thought - should her "safe" room be my guest room or the lanai patio? At least on the lanai, she would feel like she was outside (which she would be). But I would worry about her tearing the screen. I have never taken in a true feral before!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am about to catch my first feral (to keep her). I have had cats all my life, but never taken in or trapped a feral. What trap do you recommend? I tried searching online and there seem to be three popular ones:

Tomahawk
Tru-Catch
Have a Hart

I am not as concerned about price and I am making this fast and easy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't give any advice on trapping her, but did want to say I'm glad you decided to take her with you. I hope it goes smoothly. Keep us posted. And good luck.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm only familiar with the Have a Heart traps. Use your guest room initially because it's safer than the screened lanai.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am interested in seeing everyone's responses to this question! My personal preference is the Tru-Catch traps. They are quiet and gentler and they have a back door for releasing/feeding!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After much research, I had decided on the Tru-Catch 30 LTD, so glad to see you all recommend it as well! It costs more, but I like that the door doesn't slam as hard.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also purchased the trap divider. It made it so easy to slip some food inside after the spay/neuter without any risk of the cat getting out.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's already been spayed (ear is tipped), I just want to get her inside.

I am not sure it is the right thing to do, she may be miserable - but I want to try. I have several months before my move, so there is time to see how she does indoors with my other cats.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will set up her "safe room" in the guest bedroom. I will make sure she has lots of hiding spaces- kitty condos, boxes, beds, etc. Maybe some fake trees!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If there is a window in that room, be sure to put a table or other perch underneath it so she can look out.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's already been spayed (ear is tipped), I just want to get her inside.

I am not sure it is the right thing to do, she may be miserable - but I want to try. I have several months before my move, so there is time to see how she does indoors with my other cats.
I have brought 2 former feral cats inside and will be bringing 3 more inside after the first of the year. It is a process. My first boy took a year to get fully acclimated. The second one was much quicker. It really depends so much on their personality.

I am always sure that the new cat has a room of its own. Be sure if you are using a bedroom that the bed is picked up off the floor or it lays flat. Under the bed is the first place a cat will hide and it's nearly impossible to get them out. Also block under and behind any other large furniture.

I also like to use Feliway plug ins and have a radio playing. For day time I would find a soft rock station that had a mix of music and talk as I wanted them to hear voices. For night time, I use some cat harp music I purchased years ago off Amazon.

Be sure you get her to the vet too. You want to have her tested for cat diseases (FIV and FELV) and vaccinated before she gets to mingle with your other cats.

Thank you for trying. She will be forever grateful!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if price isn't an issue get the kind with 2 doors and a divider and alll the bells and whistles. For those who need to pinch pennies, really any brand will do but if you can spring for the good stuff, do it!

Try rotisserie or fried chicken for bait. I've never met a cat who could resist that.