Bring Feral With Me Or Leave Behind?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fried chicken would work for me, lol! Those are great ideas! I have been feeding her Friskies wet, and I ran out and had to give her Fancy Feast and she snubbed it!

Shadowrescue, the guest room is pretty much empty - I need to get a cat tree and condo for her. There are two windows so she will be able to look outside. That is wonderful that your ferals got acclimated, even though it took some time. I hope she will be happy with me and the other 3 cats. Yes, she will need to be tested for diseases....

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have trapped a lot of "ferals" , over 40 and most will calm down given quiet surroundings, food and love. That being said she has been trapped before since she has "the notch". You might try borrowing a couple of live traps from your local rescue group, wire them open, put food in, and see how she reacts. Sometimes people in these groups might even be willing to help you. If she goes into the trap to eat... great... she will be easy. If she is "trap shy" meaning she remembers the last time, and won't go near a trap, then you will have to withhold food for a few times to see if hunger will win out over fear. How close will she let you get? Two feet, ten feet, when you extend your hand does she run? All these are signs of how she accepts you, as just a source of food, as a potential source of love and a home. I wish you well with her. The dark side is I have had some ferals I've fed for years and never been able to trap or get close to. Another thought is if you trap her and she does not integrate well you can always consider a "barn cat" program which is gaining popularity among many no kill shelters in our area. They place the "real ferals" with farmers who agree to supplement feed and take them as barn cats for rodent control... just some options. Be sure to let us know how this goes.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
40 ferals! God Bless you! I'm not worried too much about trapping her. My concerns are that she will hate being inside and how I am going to have 4 cats in an apartment, let alone move cross-country with them. I am alone - no help at all, it will be hard. But when I see her little face every morning, I know I have to "keep" her.

She will let me within about 4 feet of her without running.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
keep using smelly yummy foods to entice. shrimp. tuna. kfc fried chix no skin/bones. meat baby food. CET toothpaste is chicken flavor and my cats go absolutely nuts-it has a chicken smell...you can put that on a spoon and see if they will lick it. sardines. butter. kitten canned food...kmr. kitten milk replacement-comes in a can or powder...something will work!!! sitting quietly and ignore them...leave a shirt you wore the day before near the area you are feeding them...they swat because you smell funny...they need to get used to your scent and your presence.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, she will definitely need to be trapped - I have been feeding her for 3 months and still can't touch her. So I wonder if bringing her in is even the "kind" thing to do, especially with limited quarters (apartment) and 3 other cats. But I will try and see how she does.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Again ,you need to contact rescue groups in your area for some help. Four feet from you is not bad.... is this closer than it was 2 months ago? If so your making progress. How much time do you have to do this?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what a rescue group can do - she has already been spayed and I don't think I will need help with trapping. I normally work full-time and will soon be returning to work, so I will have very little time. My concern is that I live in an apartment (that allows 2 cats) with three cats, soon to be four. When I move, it will be into another apartment. I love her and I will bring her in, but I am worried about the whole situation. I do have 2 bedrooms, though, so she will have her own room at first.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I hope so! If she is miserable inside, I can always let her back out. I am worried about the effects on my other cats, as well, but hopefully everyone will adjust (one of them has hyperesthesia syndrome).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The only way to know is to bring her in and allow plenty of time for adjustment. It can take a few months.

She will be less freaked out by the move if you go ahead and get her inside.

One thing about moving is that the kitties will all be starting in a new place on equal footing with each other.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She turned down most of her wet food last night and I did not see her this morning. Strange...I hope she is okay. She looks healthy. I wonder if someone else in the apartment complex is feeding her....

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: she showed up for dinner tonight and ate all her dinner. I will order the Tru-Catch 30 LTD tonight.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She has already been spayed, she has a tipped ear.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will keep you all posted once I get her inside. I am not even sure I can fit 4 cat carriers in my car when I move, but I will cross that bridge in a few months! It will be an out-of-state move.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never taken in a feral before - how can I make her feel safe in her Safe Room without spending a small fortune? It is an empty bedroom, there is not even a rug in it. It does have windows that look over a wooded area, which she will like.

I have a floor lamp with dim light - supposedly low light is good for ferals?

Do I need to buy an area rug or can I just cover the floor with soft quilts (it is hardwood)?

Cardboard boxes for her to hide in? Cat furniture is so costly and money is tight. She is a bush-dweller, anyways, so I don't think she would use a cat tree.

Of course, the obvious like litter boxes and her own bowls, vet visit, etc.

I have a screened in lanai, but I fear she will freak out and tear up the screen and escape.

The transition will be very difficult as I already have 3 cats in an apartment, but I will be moving next year and can't leave her. She is a TRUE feral, not semi-feral. I cannot touch her yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Quilts on the floor will be fine. Cardboard boxes for hiding are good. Is there a window ledge she can perch on?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they have ledges - a bit narrow, but I can bring in a chair and position it so she can look out the window.