Breed Vs Purebred

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hehe.. not exaggerating. Here is an example:
Tiny Teddy Bear Zuchon puppy's (aka hybrid, Shichon or Shih-Tzu/Bichon, Teddy Bear)
The ones that seriously make me angry are the teacup versions of every darn thing. There are even teacup persians now. Let's breed the runtiest, unhealthy specimens from our litters to make runty, teeny weeny, borderline deformed pets......

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I understand if a cat does not have papers it cannot be verified to be purebred, but I don't understand people saying if a cat doesn't have papers it is automatically a DSH/DLH? Having papers does not change the cat's genes or what breed they are.
Technically, they would be a "look alike" or "mixed breed" of what ever purebred they resemble, not a DSH/DLH. Moggie would also be an appropriate term.

The only way to positively prove the cat's genes is the registration. Lost papers can be reissued as MM stated.
Technically look-alike, mixed breed, moggie, domestic shorthair (DSH), and domestic longhair (DLH) all mean the same thing.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe.. not exaggerating. Here is an example:

. Let's breed the runtiest, unhealthy specimens from our litters to make runty, teeny weeny, borderline deformed pets......
And there lies another distinction between a BYB and a responsible breeder who would never do such a thing. 

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l've known registered breeders (dog and cat) who offer kittens both registered and unregistered. lt's not unheard of to be asked, "Do you want papers?"

l got my Bretten from what l'd call a BYB (even though she did have some registered kittens - and a phenomenal set-up!). l said l didn't care about papers and chose my fugly cat View media item 139189

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, still very lovely though, nothing fugly about him.  I think he is really interesting looking.

From what I am understanding, the breeder was asking you if you wanted a purbred cat - with papers, or was a non-purebred OK for you. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She only bred Cornish Rexes, and to get the curls it has to be Cornish to Cornish. Even Cornish to Devon Rex gives a straight coated litter.

Before l met her the lady had been breeding VERY pet quality (obviously 
)  kittens, and was just starting a serious business with her newly bought females, who were just gorgeous (possibly show quality), but most definitely a few esthetic steps up from poor Bretten here. l had the choice of waiting for a "good" one, or having one from a litter that was already born. lt was the temperament and colour that l was after, so l took one of the 3 very-pet-quality non-registered kittens that were already born. Bretten's mother was retired after his litter was weaned.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like Cornish Rex :)
He behaves like one too 
 he's an absolute nut-job!!

lt's funny that you recognized the breed because when most people see him for the first time, they invariably say, "Oh!"

LOL, poor Bretten.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are funny cats.. if I didn't breed Maus they would probably be my breed of choice. They remind me of Italian Greyhounds..

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Business, oh that's not good at all. No decent breeders make money breeding, it's a hobby.
Agreed, but I do remember a very well respected Bengal breeder who used to post here saying that he did indeed make a small profit on his cattery. He was very well set-up and knowledgeable about the business side of it though. The majority of us who are breeding to improve and promote our breeds watch our kitten sale dollars go to cover vet fees, show expenses, traveling to shows, and feeding our cats the best food to produce the best condition (for showing and for breeding).

It costs me about $600 to attend one show. If it took me four shows to get a title on a cat, that's $2400 and then there are the vet/inspection costs to ensure said cat is good enough to breed. Add another $500. An average of $3000 per breeding cat (and it takes two to breed) would be $6000 for one litter of four kittens, or $1500 per kitten. No way I'd ever get $1500 for a kitten :)  Over time this averages out, if the breeding cats have more than one litter - but then you also have emergency expenses such as the $2000 for one case of pyometra. I also paid $5000 to build an outdoor cattery for my boys as they were too smelly to keep in my house. Not all catteries do this as not all boy cats have messy habits.

I can see profits being made if people are breeding registered but untested and untitled cats to produce "pet-quality" purebreds. But, without care to the temperament, health, colour, and phenotype of these breeds, they are not likely to be extremely good examples of the breed.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An average of $3000 per breeding cat (and it takes two to breed) would be $6000 for one litter of four kittens, or $1500 per kitten.
One of my latest litters, $7.000 to import cat, $3300 for stud boy - result 1 kitten

And new lines need to be brought in frequently to keep going.

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l meant business as in getting into "the business" of breeding, rather than it being her backyard hobby.

She had an older friend whom l met who had been breeding for years, but l didn't see her cats. 

And it would probably be a financial business too, from the tax-man's perspective.

l've no idea if she ever became a decent breeder.