Bob

mistaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Yesturday I made one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make.
In the morning Bob, my ginger nut case, was his usual self, running around and causing chaos. I didn't think twice about going out to the shops, and when I came back something was wrong. He was so quiet and didn't want to move, constantly licking his boy parts. I phoned the vet and took him in. That short time I was out was when something happened, and he ended up with some crystaline stuff blocking his urinary tract. The vets told me that the damage was done and they could have removed it but it was highly likely to happen the next day.
He was in so much pain that we decided to let him go, I couldn't prolong his life knowing he was in pain.
Today I feel so guilty, knowing this has hit me very hard, and at the worst time it could. I feel guilty feeling that I loved Bob more then the other cat I have.
I feel so guilty for feeling that I don't want to go on without Bob.

Bob was an amazing cat, he was only 8 years old, but those 8 years were filled with his crazyness. He would be the first to greet me home, the last I saw before I went to sleep.
When I would be reading in bed, he would curl up on my lap, purring and covering me in as much drool as he could (yes he purred that hard). If he left the bed at any time during the night, he would come back, jump back onto the bed then come and kiss me on the lips to say 'it's ok and good night'.
Oh he used to hate me being on the phone as I wasn't giving him enough attention. He would do everything he could to cause me to hang up, including trying to run away with the phone!

I will miss him with every beat of my heart, and am planning on saving up to get a tattoo in his memory, of a pawprint with the words 'pawprint on my heart' and his name.

Attachments

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry that this happened to your sweet boy, for some reason bad things like this happen and we can't do anything about it. He surely was loved, you gave him a great life here and did all that you could, do not feel guilty, that is just the overwhelming grief which can come out in many ways, please know that he loved you and is fine now, not in pain and will see you again someday.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is what I so often say, but it will have special meaning for you:

Rest you gentle, Bob, dream you deep. Your paw prints are on someone's heart forever.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob gave you 8 years of love and devotion. He would be the last one to want you so sad. Don't ever feel guilty about your feelings, they come from the heart and are called grieving for the loss of someone very close to you.
Your memories will bring you comfort, time will bring a softening of the pain. You get through something like this, you learn to live with it. It's always harder on the one left behind. But you have to know Bob would want you to do so, he loves you too much for you to give up even one second of your life on sadness and tears. We have to go on because that is what they want for us. Just as we would want for them if we were the first to go. It takes a long time to heal a broken heart, and it always leaves a scar.
What that sweet boy gave you will be with you forever, nothing. not even death, can take away love, it is spiritual, so eternal. Try to celebrate having him in your life, it is precious. To not have known him at all, unthinkable. You gave him the gift of love and a home, he returned your gift a thousand fold. Let his presence in your heart soothe your soul, the bond you have with him will forever keep you tied together. He left you a legacy of love, to share and spread, honor that legacy through happiness and smiles, not tears and sadness. He is a beautiful part of your past, the future is what you make it. Know you are not alone, we are here to share your burden. Take care of yourself, be gentle on yourself, it DOES get better. RIP sweet Bob, you will never be forgotten and will forevermore hold a place in a loving heart. May your journey to teh Rainbow Bridge be swift, may you find that perfect spot in the sun. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing your precious soul-kitty Bob. In honor of that precious love, it is appropriate to grieve and mourn your loss. When you made that diificult but correct choice, you showed the truest love of all - releasing your darling from his pain even though ending his meant the beginning of yours. He is safe from pain now but the love you two shared will endure until you two are reunited again. Your other cat needs you know for not only is its sibling gone, you, the leader of the clowder are in anguish. If this was ancient Egypt you could have shaved your eyebows and all the community would have let you grieve in peace, time off from work and everything.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sad to read that you had to say good bye to your beautiful Bob in such an unexpected way.
Sounds like he was a real buddy and knew how make you love him so hard. And I am sure it wasn't too difficult to love him that way.
RIP Bob, you're free from pain now. One day we'll be up there with you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your messages and kind words. This weekend was very hard for both me and my little fuzzy bum Fred (a girl).
I am finding it a little easier now, I made a memory box for Bob and put his favorate things in, and decided to get a tattoo in honor of his memory.
I am a little worried about Fred, as she has always been around other cats, and never had any time alone. Her and Bob had always been together, they even used to share boxes!
Does anyone have any experiences of going from a multi-cat home to a single cat home? I want to make sure I am doing right by her, so any suggestions are welcomed! She has been curling up on a chair next to me, and yesturday I saw her eating and she even played chasing her tail!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experiences of going from a multi-cat home to a single cat home?
When my Lola died the other cat, one year younger was a bit uncomfortable in the first two days then she felt OK, but they never got along well.
I felt my home suddenly empty, despite I have my wife and still had a cat around.
I too got a memory box and put all her things inside :(

Edit: wife not wide, sorry, autocorrection of the phone

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes: I am glad that you are not alone, that you have Fred. She will be feeling off-balanced for awhile. Even cats in large colonies can have grieving issues. I highly recommend brief but frequent grooming sessions with a cheap plastic comb (cats seem to get more emotional bonding with those; she will still need her regular grooming tools for coat management) and lively play time with a teaser toy, such as with DaBird and a laser (I always tone down laser time with a teaser or other interactive toy because the laser can be overstimulating). Do not discount adding another kitten or senior cat (for me, cats seem to accept the elderly kitties as easily, if not better than, a rambunctious kitten), as that often happens - call it God's will, Fate, chance, or whatever; it is not replacing Bob, it is just filling that cat-shaped hole in your heart. I am sure that soon you will be getting better advice than mine. You could also start a thread in the Behavior forum - I feel that loss and grief in the surviving pets is often overlooked. You are doing well at being strong for Fred, a real cat guardian. Please, when you feel up to it, let us know what worked for you and feel free to PM any one of us).

mistaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this picture of my two furry butts. I think it is my favorate of them together. Great memory to have of them

Attachments

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry to read this news. It's such an awful decision to have to make. My deepest condolences on your loss. RIP, Bob. :rbheart:

mistaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I get my tattoo in memory of him tomorrow, looking forward to it.

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for what I'm going to write, but what is your vet talking about? One day one of my cats suddenly started walking around while rubbing his haunches on the floor and was in obvious distress. He had been fine but suddenly something was very wrong. I took him in and was told he had a total blockage of his urethra, the result of crystals that had formed in his urine. He had to have surgery or would die. So, the surgery was performed and from then on he had to go on a urinary tract formula diet that prevents the build-up of crystals in the urine. Basically, the food has a lower amount of certain minerals. There are prescription and non-prescription brands of this food (I get Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Formula) and all cats can eat it without any problems. Twice each year I make sure he has a urinalysis regardless of how he is behaving. He's been fine ever since. I'm not writing this to upset you, but to alert you to the fact that your vet might very well be incompetent (granted, I don't know all the details, obviously).

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for what I'm going to write, but what is your vet talking about? One day one of my cats suddenly started walking around while rubbing his haunches on the floor and was in obvious distress. He had been fine but suddenly something was very wrong. I took him in and was told he had a total blockage of his urethra, the result of crystals that had formed in his urine. He had to have surgery or would die. So, the surgery was performed and from then on he had to go on a urinary tract formula diet that prevents the build-up of crystals in the urine. Basically, the food has a lower amount of certain minerals. There are prescription and non-prescription brands of this food (I get Purina Pro Plan Urinary Tract Formula) and all cats can eat it without any problems. Twice each year I make sure he has a urinalysis regardless of how he is behaving. He's been fine ever since. I'm not writing this to upset you, but to alert you to the fact that your vet might very well be incompetent (granted, I don't know all the details, obviously).
I (well one of my cats) also has had this experience just lately. I could give you the story and the details but its not really necessary other than he went to the vet, got put on a special diet along with several pills and after a few weeks got a lot better. It does sound a little extreme to just put the cat down instead of trying a treatment. Especially one that was that young. It might have been more involved and perhaps untreatable and it is to late to do anything now but best to perhaps keep an eye on the vet in some way.