Blood in feces after wet food

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys

Last month I was feeding my boy wet food as treats only because he is not a big fan of it. I gave him the royal Canin wet food as always but I noticed some red blood in his poop. Went to the vet and he said it's a minor inflammation in his colon. The medicine worked perfectly. I had no idea it's coming from the wet food. I gave him wet and he popped red blood immediately. After this I made sure that it's coming for wet food. I have no idea why he developed such a reaction. He adored wet when he was a kitten and he was always on Royal Canin (baby mousse, kitten, adult variety)

Have any of you experienced this before?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might try a different brand of food and see what happens. R/C is not really a good brand. It has what I think of as "junk" in it. Maybe try something that is lower in carbs, meaning it isn't full of grains, potatoes, peas, etc. And you might also try a different protein. So if you are currently feeding something with chicken as the main ingredient, try turkey or duck. Normally most of us recommend feeding wet food over dry, so this issue you are seeing isn't a common problem with wet food, but can certainly be with certain foods that are high in the aforementioned carbs as they can irritate their digestive tracts.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens that it's probably something irritating his digestive tract. We had a cat who had this symptom -- it came and went, making it especially hard to diagnose or figure out what was causing it -- and she developed digestive issues over the years. As mrsgreenjeans mentioned, it could be a carby ingredient in the food that's causing your cat's problem. (Wheat, which was a more common ingredient then, seemed to be at least one of the causes of our cat's problem.) If there's a good you can find that has just meat and nutritional supplements (vitamins and minerals) that might take care of things. I'm not sure what foods you have available in Morocco but Fancy Feast Classics (which have different names in various places) are something very decent foods that are low in carbs.