Black beads on my cats anus

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My question is this: is it normal for there to be a hard sac like looking thing attached to those black spots (kinda like a zit core) or is it something more serious as it does appear to be a solid blockage?
The black spot you see are the anal glands at 4 and 8 o'clock position near the anus. They are dry and it's ok to leave them where it is. You don't have to clean it out. It is normal.

As long as your kitty is pooping normally, it is ok. As they poop, the anal gland is secreted at the same time unless you see you kitty scooting on the ground all the time and that shows that the anal gland is impacted and that makes their butt itch and so they scoot on across the floor.

HungryHerb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I found these on my cat and was using cat wipes to soften and try to clean them off. As I was picking at one of the black spots she ran and it pulled off but not without pulling more out. It was almost like a big deep white head chunk buried further underneath and was solid instead of the gland liquid I assumed it would be. Going to keep an eye on it and will take her into vet if I see that there's a problem, but money is tight rn and hoping it's not a huge deal.

My question is this: is it normal for there to be a hard sac like looking thing attached to those black spots (kinda like a zit core) or is it something more serious as it does appear to be a solid blockage?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I noticed this just recently on my cat and found this thread in my hunt for answers,

She is pregnant and about to have her babies so I am assuming it may in her case have something to do with the rapid weight gain and likely pressure on the anal glands changing or increasing, making it difficult for the glands to express themselves fully,

I am able to soak them and wipe them off after a bit with a warm rag, but I have also been able to sooth her enough to grab them with my fingers (Gloves purrfurred here)

She protests but ultimately as she tries to escape she pulls them out for me basically,

I was very concerned at first seeing what they looked like, the large white keratin like substance coming out, exaclty like a dilated Pore of winer/DPOW or a large blackhead or an open cyst.

All a bit scary to see repeatedly forming on your cats anus if you are unaware of the anal glands.

My concern is that if I don't keep up on cleaning it, it may end up clogging the anal sacs/glands and she'll get an infection,

So I am making sure to clean it up regularly..

Seeing as this was 3 years ago, I am hoping someone here that went through this was able to aquire some definitive answers as to what this is, and whether or not I need to manually remove the hard blockages for health reasons or if I can leave that nasty job to her whenever she's able to start grooming herself properly post pregnancy.