Black beads on my cats anus

Erik Crick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat stuck her butt in my face today and I noticed two black beads on the side of her butt, I have seen other threads about this possibly just being dingleberries but I wanted to make sure it is not something to do with her anal glands being swollen. I got some gloves and baby wipe and tried to wipe it away but nothing and happened and she obviously seemed agitated by my actions.
AF21F232-6D4C-4AF1-8CE6-72E1E282B0DB.jpeg

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has this, too, and they look exactly like yours! Not sure what they are; could they be anal glands? I thought the were dingleberries, they're hard but don't come off. I tried. I learned my lesson.. :stars:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erik Crick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this, too, and they look exactly like yours! Not sure what they are; could they be anal glands? I thought the were dingleberries, they're hard but don't come off. I tried. I learned my lesson.. :stars:
Does your cat ever drag her butt across the floor or lick at it excessively? They say these are some common signs but my cat does none of this, she seems normal as ever. But I proposed the question just to be proactive in case it is anything harmful.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does your cat ever drag her butt across the floor or lick at it excessively? They say these are some common signs but my cat does none of this, she seems normal as ever. But I proposed the question just to be proactive in case it is anything harmful.
No. There was a time when he did drag his butt on the floor, so I took him in to have his anal glands expressed by the vet. Other than that, all is well, thought the black dots are still there. I'm not worried about these. Good looking out, though - you are an observant cat parent!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats that have that! Have not been given a view of the other 2 yet. Never noticed them before!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They look like anal glads discharge. Put a blob of vasaline on them and it will soften them up after a coyple of hours. Sometimes they will come off on their own but if not, wipe them with a damp cloth or tissue paper.
So does this discharge indicate that anal glands are working correctly, or does this indicate that they're not emptying correctly?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has always had these since I adopted her over 2 years ago. As others said, it's just anal gland discharge. I have never worried about it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its just some poop stuck to the anal glad secretion that has hardened. It doesnt indicate a problem, at least not with my cat who is always getting them. As long as there's no redness or swelling I wouldnt worry.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would advise to remove them whenever they occur. Nothing harmful though.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not harmful to remove or leave them. Many cats however do not like being touched in that area and violently protest. May not be worth it in that case.

heyitskevinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not harmful to remove or leave them. Many cats however do not like being touched in that area and violently protest. May not be worth it in that case.
..It's been 2 years, my cat still becomes the incredible hulk if I try it. You're right!

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has this too - it's pointless to pull them off (which you can do) because they just grow back anyway within 3-6 months. At that point all you accomplished was stressing yourself out trying to get them off and freaking out plus hurting your cat when you pull them off. They do no harm so I suggest just leaving them alone.

Liz502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I found these on my cat and was using cat wipes to soften and try to clean them off. As I was picking at one of the black spots she ran and it pulled off but not without pulling more out. It was almost like a big deep white head chunk buried further underneath and was solid instead of the gland liquid I assumed it would be. Going to keep an eye on it and will take her into vet if I see that there's a problem, but money is tight rn and hoping it's not a huge deal.

My question is this: is it normal for there to be a hard sac like looking thing attached to those black spots (kinda like a zit core) or is it something more serious as it does appear to be a solid blockage?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an impacted anal gland, but check with your vet to make sure. Anal glands are at 4 and 8 on the anus.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your description sounds the same as my cats when I remove it and there hasn't been any problem.