Big storm brewing!!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The weather guy on one of our local tv stations said LSD could get pelted with 25 ft waves!

Our part of Wisconsin is ok-some school delays and closing but less than an hour south and east of me is pretty much shut down. The Milwaukee school district shut down and UW Madison among others. We will have to clear out parts of the driveway tonite-doesn't pay right now as it will drift again.

The drive to work may be interesting....

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I am going out in a bit to do the same. We lucked out though.....not much snow, maybe a couple of inches. Honestly, the way the weather weenies were talking here. They panicked people. They had a store on the news where every bit of milk and bread were gone. It never got too bad. A couple of drifts between house and barn where the 2 ferals live.

Lets hope this is over for everyone very soon. don't do too much shoveling at once.....it is heavy!!
Same here. We took an elderly couple out yesterday to help them sort out a large purchase they kinda of got taken in on and she was worried all the time about this big storm coming in.
This morning we had about 2 inches of snow on the ground - no biggie.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We escaped the worst (unlike 2009) and now have howling northern winds and light snow.

Heard there is another blast coming in next Monday/Tuesday.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's let up here, and I'm going out to deal with the mountain of snow. It will take many hours. It's probably all I'll be doing (no reading, knitting, cello, or brownies
).

It's really quite incredible. I'll take some pictures and post them later.

It hasn't stopped snowing yet. But more than that the wind is blowing so hard. It's impossible to tell how much snow fell because of the blowing snow. Some of the drifts are 4' or more. The one in front of my garage is very big. And it is cold. It's about 15 degrees F. right now. And it is only going to get colder with -9 predicted tonight and only up to 8 tomorrow.

No one is going anywhere today. There are no cars on the street, no plows. Only a few brave souls out trying to shovel or snow blow a path out. I will probably get some help from neighbors later, when they can. Some of the guys will try to snow blow some of it out. I have a small electric snowblower. It probably won't do much.

Robin

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll send some sunshine to the folks east of me. While it's bitter cold here today (a high of 8F), at least the wind died down and the sun is out.

We probably ended up with about 14" of snow with drifts up to the windshield of my car. It was so windy yesterday with the snow that I can see patches of grass on the south side of my shed. The shed protected the grass from the sideways blowing snow.

Time to shovel the drifts from around my house. Still can't get out of the sliding doors from my living room.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears that the worst is over, at least until next Monday.

I turned on the local news when I got up this morning; the weather forecasters were calling for up to 18" of snow. The official measurement, as of 3 a.m., was 28.8 inches!
That beats the old record by well over a foot. It's absolutely unreal; I've lived here all my life and I've never seen anythng like this.

Fired up the snow blower, got too close to the tarp that I use to cover it, and ended up with the tarp wrapped all around the inside of the snowblower. So, I got out a snap-blade knife, got down on my hands and knees, and cut the tarp into little bits so I could pull them out. *sigh*
It took me an hour and a half to make a path down my back sidewalk and a path down my neighbor's walk. The snow is so deep you can't just push the blower thru it---you have to work at it, a little bit at a time. I had to hand shovel near the back door here and next door, and to the bird's feeders. I haven't seen any of the ferals since early yesterday morning. They hang out under a neighbor's shed, under a covered carport. There isn't much snow under there, luckily, so they should be able to get out. I don't know how they'll make it to their feeding station in my yard, but I'll think of something. Maybe after I rest for a bit I can shovel a little more to make sure they have a clear path.

I need a hot bath--I ache everywhere and I've had a sore throat for a couple of days. I'd love to be able to just sit here for the rest of the day, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

Hope everyone made it thru the worst of it!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the sort of storm we used to have in Colorado. We'd have officially 6". Out at the ranch, the grass in the yard was sticking up through the snow. But in town, we had drifts up to the eaves of many of the buildings.

It's cold here. And the forecast for tonight is that we may set a new record, 9 degrees (the previous record was 14).