Big storm brewing!!!!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are our cars in front of the apartment. Snow is still coming down hard and there is an inch of sleet and ice under all of that!

My brother went into work this morning (he works for AT&T and had no choice) but they decided to send them home after an hour. He can't get home because the snow is so bad you can't see to drive. He's stuck in a motel an hour from home for the night now.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've gotten really lucky so far - only an inch or so of powder. The sleet storm is supposed to start this afternoon though.

I agree with Libby - everyone affected stay in - and if you can't, stay safe!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're getting over an inch of snow an hour right now. We've already swept off the entrance ways to the house 3 times just so it doesn't drift against the doors so high that we can't get out. By the time we cleared a path on our deck, it had snowed 1/2" in about 10 minutes. The flakes are the small powdery ones, so you can image how fast it's coming down.

It started around 8AM but got really bad about 10. I'm guessing we got 8 inches so far and it's coming down so hard we can't see the lake behind our house. It's supposed to continue like this until late tonight. They modified the forecast to 13 inches but if it continues like this, we'll get at least 2 feet. The record snowfall here in 1 day is 16 inches.

Lucky is not a happy cat. He ventured out for about 1 minute this morning then high tailed it back into the house. He's sitting in the cat tree that overlooks the bird feeders and is watching them frantically eating everything we put out there for them. No signs of the squirrels at all.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep thinking about where I am going to pile up the TWO feet of snow prediction in Chicago area. I shoveled this morning and had to throw it over the two feet of snow already sitting there.. WHERE am I going to put two more feet in twenty four hours. The poor postal workers, our mailboxes will be buried and plowed in. OH and the wind, very very strong... Hope the snow prediction is wrong

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember a terrible storm in Denver back in the late 50's, early 60's. So much snow that the city eventually made an arrangement with the railroads and loaded the empty southbound coal trains with snow.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I shoveled enough to get to the bird feeders twice in a 3 hour period. When I tried to open the back door a little while ago to shovel and feed them again, the snow was higher than the bottom of the door. Figured it was time to fire up the snow blower; did a path--again--from the house to the garage, and went thru the alley to my neighbor's to do a path for them. I am exhausted, even with the snowblower! I came in with little icicles hanging off the tips of my bangs

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still coming down hard here. We've gotten several more inches in the last 2 hours while I was napping. Hope it stops soon! Supposed to be bitterly cold the next couple days. Low tonight around 1 deg. F. Tomorrow night it says 6-12 below and those aren't counting the wind chill!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took me 2 1/2 hours to go 30 miles, but I am finally home!!
Chicago is expecting 20+ inches of snow and blizzard conditions. I am so happy I can work from home tomorrow, so I can spend the day with the "kids".

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I doubt that I will be going in to work tomorrow, the roads are bad. We are having freezing rain. They are expecting 1" of sleet and 1/2" of ice. No way will I risk myself to drive out.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also about 35 miles from the Chicago in the West Suburbs. I worked till 4pm today. Hubby's office in Downtown Chicago closed at 2pm. He picked me up from work today since he was home so I did not have to walk home in this crap. It was coming down pretty good when I left work. I walked a few blocks to meet hubby so he would not be stuck in nasty heavy traffic. I am off work tomorrow and I hope hubby's office is closed.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my current conditions:

Winter Weather Advisory
Special Weather Statement
Hazardous Weather Outlook

Tonight: A chance of snow before 9pm, then snow and widespread blowing snow after 9pm. Low around 14. North northeast wind around 25 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers before 6am, then widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow before noon. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 21. North northwest wind 21 to 24 mph decreasing to between 11 and 14 mph. Winds could gust as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -5. Wind chill values between -10 and -20. West wind around 10 mph.

Green Bay, Austin Straubel International Airport
Lat: 44.48 Lon: -88.13 Elev: 699
Last Update on Feb 1, 6:53 pm CST

Partly Cloudy and Windy

17 °F
(-8 °C) \t
Humidity: \t74 %
Wind Speed: \tNE 29 G 41 MPH
Barometer: \t30.20" (1024.3 mb)
Dewpoint: \t10 °F (-12 °C)
Wind Chill: \t-2 °F (-19 °C)
Visibility: \t8.00 mi.

Since I live in a rural area the roads were starting to drift when I drove home. The major hwy was pretty much okay. Since I've been home a couple of hours the wind has really picked. We shuffled the vehicles around so all are parked inside. The end of our driveway is quite open so I'm sure it will be drifted shut tomorrow am.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so worried about my ferals. I have been out to shovel paths multiple times tonight. We have so much snow and the wind is brutal. My outdoor shelter has been buried by heavy snow and I have to keep digging it out. I just hope the cats are hunkered down under my deck. I keep digging holes and paths from my deck to the feeding shelter. I have lived in the northwest suburbs of Chicago my whole life and this is one of the worst blizzards I can remember. AND my back and shoulders are killing me. Man that snow is heavy. Stay safe everyone!!!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not even going to try to go to work unless all the ice goes away.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I am so worried about my ferals. I have been out to shovel paths multiple times tonight. We have so much snow and the wind is brutal. My outdoor shelter has been buried by heavy snow and I have to keep digging it out. I just hope the cats are hunkered down under my deck. I keep digging holes and paths from my deck to the feeding shelter. I have lived in the northwest suburbs of Chicago my whole life and this is one of the worst blizzards I can remember. AND my back and shoulders are killing me. Man that snow is heavy. Stay safe everyone!!!
I am going out in a bit to do the same. We lucked out though.....not much snow, maybe a couple of inches. Honestly, the way the weather weenies were talking here. They panicked people. They had a store on the news where every bit of milk and bread were gone. It never got too bad. A couple of drifts between house and barn where the 2 ferals live.

Lets hope this is over for everyone very soon. don't do too much shoveling at once.....it is heavy!!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that y'all are watching out for the kitties freezing their buns off out there!

Usually we don't have much to worry about down here, but its 21oF outside now per my outdoor gauge, and for Houston that is CRAZY cold! Especially with the 30mph winds.

I covered my faucets as soon as I got off work last morning, but was a bit too late, must have already be frozen as no water came out when I turned it on. Got all the plants taken care of at least with huge plastic painting sheets covering them all.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the weather weenies in Chicago were absolutely on target - I left my office downtown for the 1:40 train and it was not fun driving around 2:00 - by 4:00 pm it was getting awful...and some folks were stuck on Lake Shore Drive for over 12 hours (although all the news folks were repeating to stay away from LSD at all costs).

Blessings on those here, and all the people, who are working to take care of shelter pets and ferals in this mess. And good luck to those east of us - I understand it's going your way - again!