Best cat litter for med-haired cat with asthma?

CGOmom3

Chloe, Olivia and Goose’s Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I have 3 cats- Goose, Olivia and Chloe. Goose is a domestic medium-haired cat who has asthma and herpes so he’s sensitive with his respiratory system lol. I’ve always used Worlds Best cat litter, but lately within the last few months I’ve noticed when he pees, it’s not absorbing fast enough (and he isn’t digging or squatting as well as he should) so when he gets out, I always have to wipe his butt because there’s pee on his fur.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, absorbent litter that is safe for cats with respiratory issues? Thank you!

also, he went to the vet in March for his yearly check up and the vet said everything was good! And he doesn’t seem to be straining or struggling to pee, so I’m thinking it’s just the litter. When I refill the box with the worlds best, he doesn’t get the pee on his butt but after a few days it starts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I refill the box with the worlds best, he doesn’t get the pee on his butt but after a few days it starts.
So, after a few days of cleaning and the level of the litter in the box goes down?

Can you trim, or have trimmed, the fur under his tail and along and inside of his upper back legs?

I've found that a combination of Littermaid's walnut or corncob (not corn) litter mixed with a clay litter cuts the dustiness quite a lot.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dr. Elsey makes a litter for cats with respiratory issues: Dr. Elsey’s R&R™ Respiratory Relief Clumping Clay Cat Litter

TCS has threads on other brands of litters for cats with asthma:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CGOmom3

Kitten
Purraise
So, after a few days of cleaning and the level of the litter in the box goes down?

Can you trim, or have trimmed, the fur under his tail and along and inside of his upper back legs?

I've found that a combination of Littermaid's walnut or corncob (not corn) litter mixed with a clay litter cuts the dustiness quite a lot.
So the level doesn’t go down, but I feel like the litter gets powdery and doesn’t clump or absorb as well or something? When it’s freshly poured it has a completely different texture.
So I can trim them, but I’m honestly not even sure it would help, because I think it’s the absorbency of the litter coupled with the way he poses when he pees. I’m also going to order a larger litter box and see if that makes any difference too!
Okay, thank you so much! When I was searching the threads for recommendations I did see people recommended mixing so I might even try mixing something with the worlds best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CGOmom3

Kitten
Purraise