Litter Maid Corn Litter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I switched from a clumping clay litter to this several months ago. Now I am reading about mold aflatoxins in corn based litters. Is anyone else using corn litter for your cats boxes. Has it caused you or your cats any problems. Have you seen any mold in it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Littermaid's is made from the cob, not from corn. I consider it very safe and would still be using this litter, but my boy decided he likes a mix of clumping and littermaid's walnut better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for the reply. I realize Litter Maid is corn cob based. But the things I read about the mold, alfatoxins include corn cob litters. So I am still concerned. I have tried the walnut and the wheat and Yesterday's News. It seems there are negatives about all of it. So I am wondering if there is a truly safe cat litter. The corn or corn cob based and the wheat are possibilities of mold, aflatoxins. The walnut, oils that would be harmful to the cat. The newspaper is the ink. The clay is the sodium bentonite. So what is a person to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are all the newspaper litters made from recycled, already-printed paper, or are there litters available that are made from pre-printed paper?

When I read up on the corn vs corncob litters, I understood that littermaid cob litter didn't have those issues. Whether I was mistaken, or littermaid specifically has their "ingredients" handled more carefully, it certainly is worthwhile to research things on your cats' behalf since they rely on us to be as careful as is possible, but, and I'm not saying you didn't/don't :), ...a person needs to be sure to look at specific brands.

Have you considered grass litter? Or bird cage walnut litter?

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you. Yesterdays News is made from recycled newspaper. I don't understand your questions about this. It seems like recycled newspapers would be the same as preprinted newspapers. Can you explain what your are saying here please.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. Now I do understand Furballsmom Furballsmom . I think of any of them the newspaper litter might be the safest. The pellets are so big, not worried that the cat will eat them. I do find one or two on the floor from tracking, but I have never seen them stick to his feet and if they did, not sure he would eat them.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The topic of litter makes me want to cry. Nothing seems to be safe. Personally I don't like corn litter (but I don't remember which corn type we used) as I have some suspicion that it caused asthma attacks in my cats. Also, I don't like Littermaid producer as they declined my request to share the ingredients of the litter they make. We currently use grass seed litter, as it's the least dusty imo, but is it safe? I'm sure I'll read somewhere it's not.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a walnut based litter at the pet store where I buy cat food. I am going to look at reviews on it. Also I found a pine litter at Target. I will do the same with it.
Still trying to decide. Snoop will use anything I put out so far. I just want something less dusty and healthy for us both.