Litters for asthma?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of my kitties is developing some asthma. She is coughing every few days, and it is not a hairball. (No other symptoms and not in distress)
I have a vet appointment on the 29th as it doesn't seem urgent, but I want her looked at.
In the meantime id like to switch litters. We currently use Swheat Scoop but its super dusty and 95% of the coughing I've seen is right after litter box use. I picked up some yesterday's news today, but I have had some bad experiences with its odor control in the past so I am doubtful over it.

Recommendations? Open to any substrate. Im thinking I should avoid scented in case it is allergies of some kind.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Unscented is a definite. You could look at Littermaid walnut or corncob (this is literally made from the cob, not from corn). I've used both of these and they're great. Currently I'm using a combination of one of these plus tidycat, and the dust from the tidycat is cut down to nearly nothing.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use unscented Sophresh grass seed litter from Petco. It does track like crazy, though. You could also try Dr. Elsy's Respiratory Relief litter. Good luck with the asthma, it can be hard to track down a cause. My cat usually does a round of steroids every three or four months. I am trying to train her to an aerokat inhaler but she is super resistant to me even putting the mouthpiece on her.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use (well, the cats use) Smart Cat or Abound, both clumping grass litters. No dust. Good clumping and odor control. Super lightweight so much nicer than lugging home heavy clay litter. More environmentally friendly. Grass litter tracks a lot, though, especially with floofy-toed, long-haired cats. But that’s why vacuum cleaners were invented. :)

Dgram987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Purina Tidy cats non clumping clay litter it is 99.6 % dust free. I use non clumping to help with Reds bathroom problems and this is the most dust free I could find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trialing yesterday's news and am a bit weirded out by the lack of smell a week in. So far liking it!