Bengal/tabby Mix???

KenJ45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for replying! She is definitely a pretty kitty, lol. :-)

Although slight misunderstanding about her tail. I never claimed that it is "relatively" long compared to her body. I'm saying that even though she's young her tail is already physically longer than all of the tails of the adult cats I currently have and have ever had or encountered. Like if you measure her tail as it is now, disregarding her body size, her tail is significantly longer than both adult cats I have in my home. Longer than my ex's adult cats (we are still friends and I bring Rosy over to have play dates with her cats and the difference is noticeable). I'm also a foster for my local shelter and have never seen another cat like Rosy. Maybe she might be common in other places but apparently pretty unique here. :-)

Although if you guys don't mind, I'm having a little trouble distinguishing the differences between Rosalita and OP's cat. Can someone be so kind to point them out to me if you have the time of course.

Thanks so much so far for everyone's input, she's so unique looking, I'm writing down all of the names you guys are saying her coat pattern is, definitely something I really like so far. :-)

KenJ45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's hard to tell how long her tail is in the photos and it's hard enough for me to get photos of her because she almost never sits still for long, lol. Also, just noticed the "purraise" function, haha, how funny.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although if you guys don't mind, I'm having a little trouble distinguishing the differences between Rosalita and OP's cat. Can someone be so kind to point them out to me if you have the time of course.
The OP's cat doesn't have a very strong resemblance to a Bengal, either. However, the spots on the rear part of the cat are slightly more "random" in their distribution, instead of being broken mackerel stripes all along the sides like your kitty, and there are a couple of places where there is a suggestion of rosetted spots (see picture). I don't see enough evidence in these pictures to convince me of definite Bengal ancestry for the OP's kitty either... to my mind it's a "maybe" in these pictures.

IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4799.JPG

As for the other posters in this thread (doubleL, Marsbert, Alexmh20, Nuha85, Mariah1471), I am not seeing identifiable Bengal traits in their cats' photos.

There are lots and lots and lots of spotted and broken mackerel tabby cats out there (in fact, broken mackerel is one of the most common patterns in the domestic cat)... most are simply domestic shorthair cats that do not have any specific breed ancestry, but that doesn't make them any less beautiful, special or wonderful cats in their own right! Enjoy your cat, and don't feel that you need a breed label to make her any more special than she already is.

Last edited:

KenJ45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah yes, I see now, I thought maybe that was the distinction but wasn't sure. How cool. Yes, my Rosy's pattern has her spots much closer together like actual stripes than that. Aw, the spots look so cute too, haha. Interesting, down here I see tons of every other pattern but this brown broken mackeral pattern. I like it though and might look for more in the future. Thanks for clarifying it for me. :-)

mackallack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly, if you've ever seen Egyptian Maus, your cat looks quite a bit like a Mau. They're incredibly rare and all domestic cats have some of their traits, but it looks like your kitty has a lot the qualities.

The shape of his face, the shape of his eyes, the fact that he has distinct spotting that can be seen on his sides, and longer back legs are all very Egytpian Mau. In the middle of his eyes, nearing the pupil, you can see some gooseberry green, which is also the color of Egyptian Maus.

His M pattern on his forehead gives him more of a surprised look than most regular domestic short hair cats, which is really the only way to decipher a Mau "M" or "Scarab" pattern vs. a domestic short hair "M" or "Scarab".

I'd say that he probably has a close relative, maybe grand or great grandparent, that was not a regular domestic short hair.

mackallack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some pictures of the Egyptian Mau.
Egyptian_Mau_Bronze.jpg

See how the black goes all the way down its back - like your Jameson! Many bronze EMs are most bronze around the front of their legs/neck.

mausers.jpg

I wanted to share this picture so you could see how the M/Scarab markings on an EM forehead give them more of a surprised look than most domestic short hairs.

Even if he is not park Egyptian Mau, which would be incredible if he was as they are again, incredibly rare, he certainly received a lot of the looks and is a beautiful cat. If he likes perching on high, is incredibly active, has a tail with a mind of its own, and a whole inventory of sounds...you may want to see if there are any irresponsible Egyptian Mau breeders in your area, or any specialty cat breeders that do not spay/neuter their kittens before selling them.

You have such a beautiful kitty!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Floki is so handsome, and I love his name too :)

I would describe Floki as a brown spotted tabby domestic shorthair. Spotted tabby is simply a tabby pattern and doesn't necessarily indicate breed ancestry from any spotted breed. Most cats are not any particular breed, but this doesn't make them any less special... domestic shorthairs are great cats!

I'm not seeing a strong resemblance to the Egyptian Mau breed in these pictures. Note that the Egyptian Mau is a rare breed... but more than that, bronze Maus (brown spotted tabby) are much more rare than the silver Maus, and do not come out of the same breeding programs. I am not sure if anyone is actively breeding bronze Maus in the US at this time... my friends who bred them have pretty much stopped breeding.

Londyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Floki is so handsome, and I love his name too :)

I would describe Floki as a brown spotted tabby domestic shorthair. Spotted tabby is simply a tabby pattern and doesn't necessarily indicate breed ancestry from any spotted breed. Most cats are not any particular breed, but this doesn't make them any less special... domestic shorthairs are great cats!

I'm not seeing a strong resemblance to the Egyptian Mau breed in these pictures. Note that the Egyptian Mau is a rare breed... but more than that, bronze Maus (brown spotted tabby) are much more rare than the silver Maus, and do not come out of the same breeding programs. I am not sure if anyone is actively breeding bronze Maus in the US at this time... my friends who bred them have pretty much stopped breeding.

Thank you. We werent sure because his facial feature are more of a strong chin ann elongated snout more than a tabby. Hes also got a longer tail and when he stretches out, his body is really long. Also he was found as an infant in a feild by the resucue, so not much background info either. Thanks again. 😁

Londyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. We werent sure because his facial feature are more of a strong chin ann elongated snout more than a tabby. Hes also got a longer tail and when he stretches out, his body is really long. Also he was found as an infant in a feild by the resucue, so not much background info either. Thanks again. 😁

One more thing, Rescue had him as a Mau in the listing and said he was when we got him....not that it matters...we love him.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabby is a color pattern, not a breed, so tabby cats can have any head shape and body shape. There is lots of variation in the domestic cat gene pool... some cats are long and slender, others are short and chunky, others are somewhere in between... each cat has its own special mix of traits.

The rescue people probably looked at a web site or in a book, and made a guess at his breed based on his spots. Most people simply aren't aware of how rare most breeds are.

Enjoy your handsome boy! :)

AJVirginia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 178663 This is my cat Jameson! He's currently 6 months old and very active. When I adopted him I was told he was a tabby cat, but as he's grown (and I think he's big and very long for 6 months!) I've noticed things that could point to a possible bengal mix but I'm not a cat expert.

He's extremely playful, even plays fetch. He follows me all around the house and loves to explore. He jumps very high and he's very talkative. He also:

- is very long when stretched out
- has very long back legs (they almost look like rabbits feet)
- has rounded eyes
- spotted belly with spots that go around to his back
- black tipped tail
- white fur only around his mouth and whiskers
- very soft fur
- double front paws

Let me know what you think and if you'd like more pictures or info!View attachment 178666View attachment 178667 View attachment 178668View attachment 178669 View attachment 178670View attachment 178664View attachment 178671
You have my cat's Twin
My vet thinks he is a Bengal Tabby mix

Attachments

8Flames13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I have a really quick question. Could you guys help me decide if my little kitten could be a Bengal and Tabby mix?

Attachments

Mandy797

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow Jameson looks just like my Lana! She is 6 months now. She is unlike any cat I have ever met before. Unbelievably intelligent, athletic, and affectionate. Her meow is very raspy and she loves water (got in the bath with me once). She has been able to open doors and jump where I thought no cat could. If she doesn’t have a bengal as a distant relative, I’d be shocked, but love her no less. That handsome boy is her brother Hermes, same age but different litter.
F7C6454F-5306-4315-9DB6-72C93CBA3206.jpeg
CC26104D-0A3E-4E31-8DB8-DE5E8E6C1649.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Jameson looks just like my Lana! She is 6 months now. She is unlike any cat I have ever met before. Unbelievably intelligent, athletic, and affectionate. Her meow is very raspy and she loves water (got in the bath with me once). She has been able to open doors and jump where I thought no cat could. If she doesn’t have a bengal as a distant relative, I’d be shocked, but love her no less. That handsome boy is her brother Hermes, same age but different litter.
Lana and Hermes are both gorgeous! :redheartpump: They look like good buddies, too!

I would describe Lana as a brown tabby domestic shorthair, and Hermes as a brown tabby domestic longhair. They have similar tabby patterns, which you could describe as either mackerel, or "broken mackerel" (mackerel stripes, with some of the stripes broken up into spots). I'm not seeing any obvious evidence of Bengal ancestry in these pictures; of course, anything is possible, but most cats don't have specific breed ancestry. However, domestic shorthairs and longhairs can be just as intelligent and athletic as any other cat! I also have some cats that can open doors and love water. Lana sounds like a real character :)

Mandy797

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lana and Hermes are both gorgeous! :redheartpump: They look like good buddies, too!

I would describe Lana as a brown tabby domestic shorthair, and Hermes as a brown tabby domestic longhair. They have similar tabby patterns, which you could describe as either mackerel, or "broken mackerel" (mackerel stripes, with some of the stripes broken up into spots). I'm not seeing any obvious evidence of Bengal ancestry in these pictures; of course, anything is possible, but most cats don't have specific breed ancestry. However, domestic shorthairs and longhairs can be just as intelligent and athletic as any other cat! I also have some cats that can open doors and love water. Lana sounds like a real character :)
Agree to disagree! I think all your comments have been based on the standard appearance of F1-F4 bengals (purebred). The farther removed they are from the small Asian leopard cat, the les distinctive their markings are going to be. My previous cat was a DSH mackerel tabby, and she is much different in appearance and temperament. And I never said I thought Hermes was bengal, I just liked that picture.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree to disagree! I think all your comments have been based on the standard appearance of F1-F4 bengals (purebred). The farther removed they are from the small Asian leopard cat, the les distinctive their markings are going to be.
Purebred Bengals can be any number of generations removed from the ALC. I know many breeders working with late generation Bengals that have very distinctive looking cats with large rosettes or "clouded leopard" markings. Actually, the ALC itself typically has smaller spots, and the large rosettes are more typical of SBT Bengals with many generations of Bengal-to-Bengal breeding.

This is a good article written by a Bengal breeder about the question of whether any given cat is a Bengal or "Bengal mix." There's lots of other great information on their web site, too; I recommend checking it out if you have an interest in Bengals.

Melloliver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 178663 This is my cat Jameson! He's currently 6 months old and very active. When I adopted him I was told he was a tabby cat, but as he's grown (and I think he's big and very long for 6 months!) I've noticed things that could point to a possible bengal mix but I'm not a cat expert.

He's extremely playful, even plays fetch. He follows me all around the house and loves to explore. He jumps very high and he's very talkative. He also:

- is very long when stretched out
- has very long back legs (they almost look like rabbits feet)
- has rounded eyes
- spotted belly with spots that go around to his back
- black tipped tail
- white fur only around his mouth and whiskers
- very soft fur
- double front paws

Let me know what you think and if you'd like more pictures or info!View attachment 178666View attachment 178667 View attachment 178668View attachment 178669 View attachment 178670View attachment 178664View attachment 178671
He looks like my baby boy very similar.

jmsmith601

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is Gigi, my 8 month old kitty! i got her from someone who found her mom on the street, so we are unsure about her parents :) anyone have ideas of how to describe her? my vet says tabby but she acts and looks quite wild to me :)

Attachments