Bengal intros going backwards - scared kitten and intimidating cat

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much. Would you believe the behaviourlist actually sad this to me after 1 month!!
Frankly, I'm STUNNED. We've had some very successful introductions that took as much as a year to complete, with the cats ending up very content together. Most take WEEKS to accomplish. And I'm sure hearing that stressed you out to no end, making things WORSE for all of you!

How on earth do I change the thread name? Happy to do so when I can work it out haha.
Yes, a Mod can do that for you.

You're getting excellent advice now, from some very knowledgeable folks! I'm just going to follow along, and chime in where I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Sorry for the radio silence, it's been a bit scary here in the UK with the pandemic. I hope you're all keeping well and safe. I'm going to respond to you all one by one so that I tick off all the points raised! A massive thank you again to everyone who has offered advice on this.

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Okay so I added a towel with T's scent to H's room last night, seemed fine. She didn't react when I put it on her bed." - GREAT!!

"H doesn't really seem to mind T using the litter box. Sometimes she will hear him digging about and go and watch him, but she's not particularly bothered by it by the looks of it." Another great sign.

"My main concern is I don't know how we've gone backwards in the progress. H used to partly enjoy running after T and they would do it backwards and forwards a couple of times. I don't understand why she's avoiding him now?" - Honestly, often it is hard to know. BUT it happens ALL THE TIME in intros. And with a spay it can disrupt things - the hormones, the vet visit, etc. And cats don't like change and that can create insecurity which can create more fear towards the other cat etc. I wouldn't get too hung up on way etc. We'll try to figure it out BUT do things to improve whatever the cause of any issues. I will take a look at the videos to see where we are at shortly.

"In answer to your question about her hiding after T 'playing', she definitely does hide, usually by jumping to a chair. For how long depends on how bad it was, but I would say she's always out again within 5 minutes. Obviously she doesn't want anything to do with him though!" - Jumping up on a chair? Or underneath? Coming out in 5 minutes is a good sign.

"Also, I wanted to ask re the chasing. Is it possible she is engaging in play even though she's always being chased rather than chasing? I read somewhere that cats are playing if they take it in turns. As this is very one sided I'm more concerned about T being a bully." - Play can be very one sided. I see T as playing. H is still uncertain (I will see in the new videos if that holds). I do not get a sense T is a bully (again I'll see on the new videos). He just seems like he really loves to have a new sister. It seemed like it is all innocent play.

"No he has never 'hurt' her in the sense that I've never seen any cuts on her or fur flying" - This is a GREAT sign!!!

Now let's look at the new videos.

Video 1 Tree 2 video name - The lunge was a little forceful and probably a reaction to H pulling back BUT look at how restrained T is. No intention of hurting her. And very respectful of the hiss. Overall, though I didn't like the lunge I am not at all worried about the video and really actually heartened by how restrained T is towards H.

Video 2 Tree 1 video name - T was sniffing and H was pretty defensive. T wasn't looking for trouble but H was defensive. Ears went back. BUT I am guessing nothing bad happened after this which is good. We just need to build more trust for H. So positive encounters, positive associations. If you see T sniffing etc then try to distract him in any way to try to give H confidence he isn't going to so anything.

Video 3 Play 2 name - Well, it is good that he again showed restraint and did stop. T was really being dominant there. And he didn't respond to the toy sadly. BUT he did respond to your voice so keep using your voice. And he didn't chase after her and she did retreat up onto a chair which is good. Try to distract before we get to this point but overall I am encouraged by how he seems restrained and doesn't pursue. What exactly happened before this video between them? How ere they interacting?

Video 4 Play 1 - Well, that was a burst of energy. The good news is he again didn't seem to want to hurt her (and didn't) and he did respond to your voice and stopped. But the initial roughness will cause some insecurity issues with H if sustained. I would like to try to avoid these. So either distract before or if not possible then have their encounters in a place where H is more confident. Also, if you can play with H in the area by the tree etc that can help build her confidence. I do think T just wants to play but it is too rough. We just want to try to curb his roughness.

Video 5 Hallway name - Here is a situation I would call T and try to interact with him (safely) and have him focused on me or a treat etc and not H if possible. To show H that T is not always interested in her. As H gets more confident that will help in maybe deterring T more in time.

I would try to really work on distracting T in a positive way before the pouncing etc if at all possible. I would also really try to get him to play. Make the toy act like prey. So halting movements, moving around corners, etc. Keep feeding them near each other and use that food as a distraction in order to create a positive association and a positive encounter. Also, if it is possible to get longer videos of how they are interacting.

How much time to do they spend together each day? Are they physically blocked off/separated at night?

I do think that T does not mean any harm to H. He is showing a lot of restraint so I am actually not worried about if they will be intro'd. I do want to build H's confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love (if safe) and through those positive associations with T (feeding) and try to make every encounter as positive as possible trying to distract T before a pounce (I know it is hard but just try your best). And try your best to drain T's energy in any way. I know it is hard but try your best. Play is a good way and if you can get him running around and up and down that would be good.

I honestly do not see T as a bully. I think he is just really excited he has a sister. I am really impressed that he knows the line and respects it and does not seem to want to hurt her.

Please keep sharing as much as possible and keep trying to distract before a potential negative encounter and feeding together etc. And watching their body language. I do want to see if we can build more confidence and trust with H.

I am highly confident you will get there. Everything I am seeing is just normal intro things. Just takes time to build that trust. And getting past the novelty of having a sister which just takes time. We'll get there.

Please let me know if you have any concerns, need clarification, etc.
Thank you for this! You're awesome.

Yes, the scent thing doesn't seem an issue at all. Sometimes they will happily have a sniff of each other and nose touch. I have to say T loves getting his nose RIGHT IN her backside, which she doesn't particularly enjoy!!

So she when she hides and jumps it's usually on a chair which is tucked under a table. Sometimes when she's running away she kind of hops like she enjoys being chased? But she doesn't chase him back so I was wondering if she actually does or not!

So in the play videos I was trying to engage them both in play. H as a kitten obviously LOVES anything that moves, so if she sees a wand going she's going to go for it, regardless of whether T is there or not. T is just really not bothered about wand toys, he would much rather play with his sister. So I think he sees her moving around and thinks its an invitation to play? I recently got a new want toy with a squeak on it and that seems to be working in distracting T, however I think its more the noise than anything.

I wanted to ask how I should play with them separately as we have a bit of an issue there. If either of them are 'closed off' they meow to get out. So T's playtime is usually when I put H to bed, and if I'm doing this primarily to burn off his energy it seems counter intuitive as he wont see her again until the morning! I've just bought another wand toy to play with T which is arriving Tuesday, so I'll test this out. But I have to say, T is largely uninterested in one to one playtime.

Regarding time together each day, whenever I'm in we have all the doors opened. I only keep them separate at night / when we go out now. This can be particularly difficult as it's near impossible to watch them all of the time and try to avoid T pouncing all of the time :( but I try my best.

We had an interesting day the other day. I was nursing a hangover and they didn't leave my side ALL DAY. They have never napped in such close proximity to one another. And then T started grooming H! I've only seen this happen a couple of times. I wanted to ask though, there was a couple of times H was growling when T was grooming and he didn't stop... is this an issue? She didn't move though.

I don't have many videos yet (will try and get some later) but have attached a play session with T successfully distracted and their grooming. (You can hear her growl in the grooming vid)

H x

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure, anytime. You'll really find that when you're on the Cat Site, you're never alone. Someone will always be around to try and help. Sometimes we can't come up with great answers, but because each of us has our own unique experiences, then you're more than likely to find something useful.

I also have to confess that I have never actually worked with any Bengals. (My previous neighbour had a bengal, and he was super smart, acted like a dog, in that he would follow the neighbour in his backyard, and to the front of the house, and would often play fetch with him. Quite amazing to see.

I've only read things about them, in that they are highly intelligent, extremely loyal, extremely playful, and high energy...so I figure they are like regular cats, but with added energy, and might need more playtime and extra mental stimulation.

Yes, definitely...that is one of the goals,...to allow each cat to slowly adjust to how the other cat reacts.
While playing, cats are totally learning about each other, what the other cat likes and does not like, what each prefers as in chase or wrestle, how strong, when to play, and definitely how to respect the other cat's boundaries.

By doing the cat-intros, in a slow process of steps, you’re allowing time for each cat to learn from each other, and also correcting for anything worrisome, through Play (and distraction), Food (distractions and security), Height (enrichment, distraction, safe spaces), Love (affection, enrichment, bonding).

The method that Calicosrspecial uses, and also came up with, called ‘Play, Food, Height, Love’ (mnemonic Play For Her Love) works especially well at the ‘play stage’…since it incorporates all the important useful methods…and breaks them down into understandable ‘behaviour modification tools’ or ‘skills that you use’ to get our cats to co-exist peacefully.

In the Play stage, you're allowing them to interact, so they can learn from each other, ...but you are also observing what happens 'before, during, and afterwards'...so that you only allow 'good interactions' to take place. In this way, you are building on having way more 'positive interactions' and less of the negative ones. (I think calicosrspecial mentions this, as a way of building positives, and continuing on building upon that 'positive foundation'. Distracting when you think it's going towards negative, and trying to end each face-to-face encounter on a positive...then giving treats/praise as a reward.)

When you're introducing cats at a slow pace, ...then you are allowing them to make gradual adjustments...to each other,...and they are also, at the same time...lessening their fear responses.

For instance, you start with the basics of the cat-intros...in using the 5 Senses...starting with Sound, then Scent and Taste.

Scent is huge, ..since cats truly get to know each other through scent. They use Scent to know who the other one is, how they are feeling, fearful or relaxed, health, friendly, adrenaline, pheromones,...all this information our cats get through Scent.

At this time, you're also using Taste(food) to make only positive associations with the other cat.
Cats like Food, so they come to associate all the good feelings and Security around food, with the Scent of the other cat.

After they actually know each other through Scent, then you introduce Sight. (most people do rush this part, because they feel that their cats are ready to meet, and see each other, but sometimes the cats get easily 'startled' by what they see. It's just so new and overwhelming for them, to suddenly see a cat there...so again you take it slow, with gradual sight, and open up the visuals in small steps.

Everything is done in a slow, orderly, and gradual basis,..so that both cats can have time to take in the new information, and adjust.

Touch, of course, is the last sense in cat-intros, where you allow face-to-face meetings, but keep them short, initially…so that the meetings again end on a positive note.

I had to think about this for a bit, since yes, at first it does seem like you are rewarding…but yet you ‘diffused’ and ‘distracted’ …so really you created a different path for them to go towards, and left both cats with good feelings.

Your observations are spot on, in noticing that shouting "no" only makes the situation more tense.
So true about using your ‘tone of voice’ and not shouting to scare the cats.

What I usually do is say ‘hey, hey, hey’ or clap my hands…just to momentarily distract the cats.
(I do like calicos suggesting of using the word "okay"...since it's calming,...but I tend to like using words that I don't normally use at other times, ...just to grab their attention. Though, if I give it more thought, I probably use "hey" at other times, as well.)

If you can get your T to even momentarily distract, and disengage from what he is doing, then you’ll use this technique at other times, where you want to change his behaviour onto something else.

(Last month I watched a youtube video from 'Helpful Vancouver Vet'...called 'Cat names that get your cat's attention', where he uses ‘high pitched’ sounds to get his cat’s attention. It was funny, in the sense that he alters the names of his cats…to end in the ‘eeee’ sound, but also useful, because his cat ‘Lancelot’, who he calls ‘Lancy’ actually turns and listens to him, each time he says his name.)

Perhaps you can try using such a ‘nickname’ for your cat T, and end his name that way…just to see what he does. If he listens or not.

Sure, gently pushing him away is fine. If you do it repetitively enough, T should get the message.

If you can add a 3rd litter box, to another area, then that may be useful, too.
Doesn’t have to be a real litter box, even something like a clear plastic, high sided tote box would work.
That way H would never be prevented from having access to one.

(1000 square feet is kind of big for a flat. Here in Canada, my one friend is in a 400 square ft flat, with one cat, and another one is in an 800 square ft flat, but no cats.)

I’d give each Play session a good 10 minutes of real active play.
If you can get in 1 hour to 1.5 hours per day, that would be really, really good.

Just divide the hour into 10 minute sessions,…say two ten minute sessions in the morning, two in late afternoon, and two in evening. Or really however you’d like to break it down, but try to be consistent and plan for some sort of routine.

Playing with T will be the key, here.
Since you'll have to expend his energy, and get him motivated to Play with you, ...try doing a rotation of toys.
I know that you said that T does not seem interested in any of the ones he used to play with,... but sometimes cats do get bored with their original toys...but then get to playing with them again. Sometimes they don't like the new toys, until the toy starts to smell different, or more like the home.

You don't have to spend that much money on toys, but having a good wand toy, or kickaroo, or something the cats can fetch is very useful. Ping pong balls, scrunched up paper...are all toys that appeal to most cats.
Be creative, and make your own toys,...or an obstacle course...simply by using empty boxes, and arranging them in your home so that the cats can get in and out of, explore, and run around in. Tunnels are very popular.

So what about making some homemade cat puzzles. (pretty much all these ideas are from other members)
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats
(the above link was provided by Furballsmom and also Hellenww.)
(I just did a "search" for 'cat food puzzles'....in the upper right hand corner...and you get many threads that mention them.)

Or how about: How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – Cat Articles
Amazon.co.uk | Cat Toys
Amazon.co.uk | Interactive Toys for Cats

So I take it that it's a one bedroom flat, with doors on the bedroom and bathroom?
Do you own the flat, or do you rent...in other words...are you allowed to put holes in the walls, and put up some cat shelving?

If not, could you create 'zones' in your place by using dividers?
Perhaps the 'netting' is really not a great idea, since your T would likely just climb it, and hang on it, and climb some more.
Maybe an actual room divider, like the one mentioned by FeebysOwner, where wire mesh shelving is used, and attached with zip ties. Post #2 of this thread: Featured - Door blockade for cats getting to know each other

How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

Uhhh...that so called animal behaviorist sounded like the worst. It's probably best just to forget her, and her terrible advice. (It usually takes me about a week to forget the garbage that people say, but I am getting better, in lowering it down to 3 days now.) I have to take my own advice and breathe and relax, too.

I did watch the videos, and I do see what you are referring to.
T wants to play with H, but she is just much smaller, and T does not understand that she does not want him to pounce, surprise, or play rough. As H grows larger, she will also begin to become more assertive, and hopefully teach T some further manners.
Female cats are usually not shy with teaching other cats about what they want.

T actually does limit his pouncing and playing,..so that is really good to see. :thumbsup:
And good to see that H does not run far away or immediately want to retaliate.

The thing I would suggest, but I'm just not sure how you can implement it...is that H really needs to have a 'safe room' or 'safe zone' ...safe place, ...where she can run to, and not be bothered by T...at times.
Your bathroom is huge...(I can probably live in there :blush: , mine is like 5ft by 7ft, or 6ft by 9ft, yours looks a lot larger), but I'm not sure if it is the proper place for both T and H to play in, right now together, during the cat-intros.
My reasoning is that H needs to feel protected and safe, security,..to build her confidence...so she also needs a space where she can relax and not be bothered by T.

That is why I was hoping that may be you could divide your place into some 'zones' where the cats will still feel a part of the action, but also separate. It's just something to think about, which may help in the cat-intros.

I did read that bengal cats love water,...so I'm not sure if your T does or not?
If you have a bathtub, then giving T access to it, ...might help him have another venue of play, ....if you are okay with him splashing about in the tub, for a while. :think:

(Ooops....looks like I am a few posts behind...so I have some catching up to do, and video watching, too. :blush:)
Thank you for this thoughtful and thorough reply!!

Bengals are unlike any cat I have come across. I grew up with animals and honestly they are crazy! They never sleep. But they are also so loveable, intelligent and never leave my side. I love them (but boy are they hard work!)

Okay that's great to know they are hopefully learning from each other. In the play distraction, by distracting T when he is about to pounce what exactly is this doing? Is this telling him she isn't prey?

Okay I am going to try using a different word to distract T. I do find NO scares them both but obviously it's the immediate reaction on my part! I will try a few out and let you know which one works.

Play is particularly difficult. As I said above, it's hard to engage one in play without the other. This usually ends in H dominating play time (she is a kitten after all, if she sees a wand toy she will go for it.) T is just very uninterested in play unless it's with her. I am waiting on a new feather toy to arrive though so I will try it. Also LOVE the puzzle feed article. T is very VERY food orientated, so that could be helpful in getting him to engage in it. Thank you. T used to love kicking springs about when he was a kitten, and playing fetch, but he does neither now :(

Ah, I'm glad you think the flat has enough space! Honestly I never know if it's big or not in comparison to other countries, but for us it's big! It's a flat, so all one floor, we have an unusually large bathroom (which is H's room for bedtime/when we are out - it has her tree and toys and litter). We also have a big hallway, so when they 'play, it will usually be T chasing H from the bathroom down the hallway which is right next to the bathroom, then into the open plan kitchen/living room. H tends to jump from the hallway to a chair in the kitchen/living room to hide from T. There are doors on every room. We own the flat, so I am happy to add shelving. Now just to find some nice ish ones!!

We did get a large crate that we used for a while during the intro stage. To be honest we kind of thought we were past this stage. H stopped going in it and every time either was forced in it they hated it. But I'm willing to set it up again if you think it's useful?

One thing I would like to point out is that whilst H does do the majority of hiding when they are face to face, if they are at all separated, they do interact under the door a lot. They love poking paws through, and when I put H to 'bed' at night in the bathroom I put a string toy underneath the door for them to play with. I feel like this is where H feels comfortable, in that she is able to engage in play without getting hurt or worried about the fear of getting hurt.

I think H sees me as her safe zone. She knows that T will not bother her if she's lying on my lap, so she usually does so. Otherwise, if I see she has gone for a nap on her tree in the bathroom I will close the door on her (if she lets me!) so that T will leave her be. (Our bathroom is huge! Plenty of space for her)

Regarding water, again T used to when he was a kitten, not so much anymore. H however will come running if she hears the tap!!

I have attached a couple of videos above, so let me know what you think. But I think the main thing for me is to focus on playing with T, so I will do my very best!!

Thanks again,

H xx

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a bengal but this doesn’t sound like a bengal problem to me. Please try to relax. Get calm, have a beer or glass of wine first, mediate, whatever you need to do ....then let them be together.

My first thought was dominance with biting/pinning down. I would caution you to not rescue her unless necessary because you don’t want her to learn she can scream and you will fight her battles. Cats are smart & I think bengals are smarter (& cats are masters at training their humans with whatever manipulation is necessary to get their way!)

Can play and are harness outside time (at least for the boy) before they play together with supervision?

Can you give her a box or cave which has such a small entrance & exit that he can not fit into but (but she can.) I also think looking at my cat from hell shows on how they catify can help her avoid them. I know bengals love to climb so all the cat shelves you can give them (& you can alway add more later to.)

Part of it may be her personality or gender. She may want to desperately play with him ...,,, just not so rough & where she wins! 😉

A very secure escape proof screen or a lattice secured in front of your window can let you safely leave the window open with a window perch or cat tree. Throw in a few (or many) bird feeders plus a water fountain (or bird bath) all by/under a tree or bushes and you have cat heaven.

One thing my hyper punk taught me was outside time ‘hunting’ was like Ritalin for cats. Giving my insanely hyper terror 1-3 hours of outside time kept him from jumping on his brother and biting him right between the shoulder blades! (If he got bored he used his brother as prey! 😡🙄) My Mom has 20-40 finches that call her yard home & my twerp loves visiting Nanna’s So he can watch all the birds (instead of the 10 my 2 feeders attract .) Their torture sis Canfield harness free because she never even tries to escape.

⭐ I have seen bengals calm down after they have to learn a no agility course (you keep changing it every week so you challenge them. Dante taught me that if you don’t tire their minds, no amount of play will tire them out! An hour a day of outside time kept him from going insane!!!

⭐ Puzzle toys you make can challenge him mentally.

⭐ If you see him hunting her, step in his way and then distract him with a new toy or dinner or throwing a smalll toy away from her.

View attachment 326173
Thank you for this. I am naturally an anxious person so it's hard for me... I just want them to be happy! But I'm trying my very best to be calmer with them :)

Yes, I have noticed she seems to meow for mummy (me) to help her now! I am concerned about this, because I want her to stand her ground and tell him what's what, but equally I don't want her to get hurt!

I have tried putting harnesses on them and BOY do they hate it! I would absolutely LOVE to take them outside but each time has been a disaster (play dead or go mental running into furniture), any tips for this?

We have a garden, so I will definitely think about adding a cat enclosure in the summer. I think they would love this.

H x

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tree 1 video: If you slow down the video, you see T try to sniff H's tail. H does not like this. Hisses, but T is also in the process of either hissing, and then swatting at H. (0.01 mark)

Tree 2 video: T wants to play, but H is frightened of him. She notices that he is focused on her at the 0.05 mark.
She waits for his next move. He pounces...but she is prepared for it.

And, at the 0.13 mark she paws at his paw.
Amazing, ...she is one tough cat. :thumbsup:
She is trying to teach him to play gentler.

Yes, T is definitely being too rough with his play.
He is treating H like a toy.
  • Would you be able to buy him a 'stuffed toy'...which is the same size as H? :think:
  • Tie a string around it, and make the toy move, like an animal would.
  • Watch what happens, and try to get T to pounce on it, and engage with the stuffed toy.
Preferably a stuffed animal one, which you can use as a 'substitute' for him to be able to pounce on, kick, and chew.
Just make sure the stuffed toy is 'cat friendly', meaning no plastic parts that he can swallow, no loose labels or strings, and no stuffing that is dangerous for cats.
(I'd probably buy a few, ...and see which ones he likes.)
  • When T gets into this "laser focused type of play" and he focuses his attention onto H, ...try using a towel, to interrupt his 'line-of-sight'...and then see how he reacts. :clover:
T should be stopping his rough behaviour, but since he is treating H like a toy, ...for some reason he is disregarding her squeals and growls, ...or misinterpreting them as ordinary play sounds.
I don't think he understands his own strength, here, or that he is much larger and stronger than H.

But T does Disengage, and he does Listen, and he also does not pursue...so he is not trying to hurt her.
It almost seems like he just wants her to fight back, ...so that he could have a fun wrestle...not thinking that she does not want to.

What is fantastic, is that H is super tough, and does not fear him, in the sense that she does not run out of the room.
She is gaining confidence, but does need to be helped...when he plays too rough.

The reason you have to intervene, ...is to give T the message that rough play like this...is not allowed in the home.
You can tell that he understands, you, by the way he disengages, and looks around.
  • Playing with him, individually, to draw off the energy he has, will help to calm him down in his playtime with H.

Again, here, T is wanting to engage H in play.
He's like using the tactics of 'observing then wanting to ambush'.

I don't think that T knows that he is big, in comparison to H.
And yeah, that's kind of intimidating, to see a face like that peering around a corner.

What could have happened is that during the 'recovery period' for H,...she still may have felt a bit sore, and then if T attempted to play with her...and she felt some soreness, this could have turned her off playing with him, altogether.
(The spay operation cuts into the outer skin layer, then the subcutaneous fat layer, and then the abdominal muscle,...so healing from that would take some time.)

(I know with myself, just having a simple laparoscopic procedure, where only 3 small holes are made, that the pain lasted for one month afterwards. It only hurt when getting up from sitting or getting up from bed. I thought it would be like a 'paper cut'. Nope. Oh, well. Live and learn. Though I do know our cats are much tougher, and hide pain so well, so who knows the level of pain that cats can tolerate.)

What Calicosrpsecial said is true, though. We'd only just be guessing as to why H stopped playing, and enjoying the running.
Better to focus on what's happening 'today'...and improve on where we can.

I also don't thing that T is being a bully.
And that the chasing will return to the back and forth, that you saw earlier...but it might be different, in that you won't know who started it, but as long as it ends with both cats mutually going their separate ways, then it will be okay.

What I'm not sure about...is whether T... has fully accepted H into his territory.

You mentioned that T does not like it when H sits on 'his cat tree'. That he gets upset.
And that he also pushes H away from toys, or the scratch pad.
So maybe T is still not 100% accepting of H, being in his space, yet.

It's hard to tell which part has to do with... fully accepting the 'new cat' and 'sharing his humans' with her, his space, his stuff, ...and which part is T just wanting to play with H.
If T is still a bit jealous of H, and not getting equal time with his humans, then he could be feeling a bit unsettled, too.

We will know more, once you set up a routine for Playing with T, and see how he responds.:bluepaw:
Another great reply, thank you so much!

That's a great shout about the stuffed toy, I'm going to try that! Like I said it's hard to engage T with play but I will try.

Also, I haven't mentioned this yet but T was the only kitten of his litter, so I do wonder if maybe he wasn't socialised enough to know what is acceptable play or not? We also got him at 8-9 weeks which I know some people say is a little early... let me know if I'm clutching at straws here. Having said that he is a sweet and loving cat and has never intentionally hurt us.

I can definitely see that T might not be fully accepting of H yet. It's hard... T was (and is) my baby. He had my full attention for a full year. Obviously now that H is here my attention has shifted somewhat, and as she is a kitten, she is more demanding of my attention. I also find myself 'protecting' her, and telling T off, which must be hard on T. One thing I do do is allow T to sleep with us whilst H is away so that he gets mummy time. But I'm definitely going to show him some more attention, so thank you.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Yes, the scent thing doesn't seem an issue at all." - Great. A very good sign.

"Sometimes they will happily have a sniff of each other and nose touch. I have to say T loves getting his nose RIGHT IN her backside, which she doesn't particularly enjoy!!" - Yep, they will do that. But as long as nothing negative happens after it is fine.

"So she when she hides and jumps it's usually on a chair which is tucked under a table. Sometimes when she's running away she kind of hops like she enjoys being chased? But she doesn't chase him back so I was wondering if she actually does or not!" - I will see in more videos but I agree, it seems like she kind of enjoys it a little. I do like that she goes high (on a chair) AND that he doesn't go after her up there. There is respect there and restraint which I like to see. I am always watching what the cats tells us, through their actions, body language, etc.

"So I think he sees her moving around and thinks its an invitation to play?" - Exactly. A live animal (sister or prey) is much more fun that any toy.

"I recently got a new want toy with a squeak on it and that seems to be working in distracting T, however I think its more the noise than anything." - That is great. It is fine it is the noise. Anything that works in distracting. As avoiding any negativity is a positive.

"I wanted to ask how I should play with them separately as we have a bit of an issue there. If either of them are 'closed off' they meow to get out. So T's playtime is usually when I put H to bed, and if I'm doing this primarily to burn off his energy it seems counter intuitive as he wont see her again until the morning! I've just bought another wand toy to play with T which is arriving Tuesday, so I'll test this out. But I have to say, T is largely uninterested in one to one playtime." - I don't think playing with H in bed is counterproductive at all. Play builds confidence and it drains energy. Both are very good. Just do your best on playing with him. I know it can be hard. Make sure you make the toy move like prey - whether a bird or a rabbit or mouse. Those halting movements, hiding around corners, etc.

Wow, they are together a lot. Do you sense H is avoiding him or areas, hiding at all, walking low to the ground/cautiously?

"We had an interesting day the other day. I was nursing a hangover and they didn't leave my side ALL DAY. They have never napped in such close proximity to one another. And then T started grooming H! I've only seen this happen a couple of times. I wanted to ask though, there was a couple of times H was growling when T was grooming and he didn't stop... is this an issue? She didn't move though." - Cats are incredibly sensitive to our emotions. Emotions are really important when we interact with cats. The more nervous we are the more they are. BUT the more confident we are the more they are. I am a big believer in how human emotions impact the cats. I do work with ferals and see it all the time. The fact they can nap near each other is hugely positive and tells me you are on a great path. And T grooming H might be a touch of dominance BUT he is gentle and even though H growled nothing really negative happened. T ignored H BUT didn't do anything negative. So overall I say that encounter was really positive.

On to the videos -

Play T video - they look absolutely GREAT in that video. I was having trouble figuring out which was which cat. But the one playing was doing great and the cat just sitting there was great. Looks perfect to me. Ok, I think T was playing while H was watching. Fantastic!! It wasn;t wild play but they were really good.

Groom - ADORABLE!!! Seems really gentle and H was really good.

Close video - I am having trouble again figuring which cat is which. Is that H exposing her belly? ANY cat that exposes their belly is incredibly trusting. That is a HUGE sign of trust. Bellys are very vulnerable places and a cat would never expose their belly to a threat. WOW!!! That was a great sign!!

I am really happy with what I am seeing and reading. You are well on your way. Just keep doing what you are doing.

"I think H sees me as her safe zone. She knows that T will not bother her if she's lying on my lap, so she usually does so. Otherwise, if I see she has gone for a nap on her tree in the bathroom I will close the door on her (if she lets me!) so that T will leave her be. (Our bathroom is huge! Plenty of space for her)" I often use myself as a "safe zone". As long as it builds confidence rather than allowing for a lack of confidence it is positive. There is a balance. And I make sure the other cat gets "love" as well. Not for everyone to do but it can work really well when done correctly.

"Yes, I have noticed she seems to meow for mummy (me) to help her now! I am concerned about this, because I want her to stand her ground and tell him what's what, but equally I don't want her to get hurt!" - Try to balance it. So make it a positive distraction rather than a crutch to allow for a lack of confidence. Helping avoid a negative is a positive. And the more T behaves and nothing negative happens to more confidence H gets.

You are doing great, just keep reinforcing those positive associations and positive encounters and try to minimize the negative encounters. And watch how they act so that if any negativity happens we can stop it quickly. But all is going really well in my opinion. Keep up the great work!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Also, I haven't mentioned this yet but T was the only kitten of his litter, so I do wonder if maybe he wasn't socialised enough to know what is acceptable play or not? We also got him at 8-9 weeks which I know some people say is a little early... let me know if I'm clutching at straws here. Having said that he is a sweet and loving cat and has never intentionally hurt us." - That is possible but I do think T is really behaving himself and shows a lot of restraint with H. Just keep spending time with him, giving him love (safely), stay calm and confident with him and loving. Honestly, T seems like a great cat. I am proud of how he is behaving. He is doing really well.

"I can definitely see that T might not be fully accepting of H yet. " - It is totally normal for the existing/resident cat to have a more difficult time as it is "their territory" being "invaded". With that said, T is really doing well accepting H. T is doing much better that most cats. I am really proud of T.

"telling T off, which must be hard on T." - Yes, please don't do this as cats do take on our emotions and it can be counterproductive. Try to discourage in the most, calm, confident and positive way possible.

"One thing I do do is allow T to sleep with us whilst H is away so that he gets mummy time. But I'm definitely going to show him some more attention" - That is very good. Try to keep the cats on a routine as cats love routines. And the fact he is getting love and attention will help ease his concerns with H. But honestly, I don't see T being defensive. He seems like he wants to play more than being defensive etc. But keep this up with T. The more he feels everything is "normal" the better he will be.

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Also, I haven't mentioned this yet but T was the only kitten of his litter, so I do wonder if maybe he wasn't socialised enough to know what is acceptable play or not? We also got him at 8-9 weeks which I know some people say is a little early... let me know if I'm clutching at straws here. Having said that he is a sweet and loving cat and has never intentionally hurt us." - That is possible but I do think T is really behaving himself and shows a lot of restraint with H. Just keep spending time with him, giving him love (safely), stay calm and confident with him and loving. Honestly, T seems like a great cat. I am proud of how he is behaving. He is doing really well.

"I can definitely see that T might not be fully accepting of H yet. " - It is totally normal for the existing/resident cat to have a more difficult time as it is "their territory" being "invaded". With that said, T is really doing well accepting H. T is doing much better that most cats. I am really proud of T.

"telling T off, which must be hard on T." - Yes, please don't do this as cats do take on our emotions and it can be counterproductive. Try to discourage in the most, calm, confident and positive way possible.

"One thing I do do is allow T to sleep with us whilst H is away so that he gets mummy time. But I'm definitely going to show him some more attention" - That is very good. Try to keep the cats on a routine as cats love routines. And the fact he is getting love and attention will help ease his concerns with H. But honestly, I don't see T being defensive. He seems like he wants to play more than being defensive etc. But keep this up with T. The more he feels everything is "normal" the better he will be.
Hey, just thought I’d give you a update on how things have been going.
I’d say they were pretty much the same. I have been playing with T with new toys but they have a very short shelf life. The most engaged he is in play is when I hide the toys under a blanket, but even then he’s not really running around so I’m worried he has a lot of pent up energy that he takes out on H.

“Wow, they are together a lot. Do you sense H is avoiding him or areas, hiding at all, walking low to the ground/cautiously?” - yes, H hides or ducks a lot. For instance she’ll be running and see him in the hall and divert herself. Or she’ll go into high places to avoid him. I don’t know what to do about this - I’m sure T isn’t going to hurt her :(

Honestly this is SO frustrating. I don’t know what to do, shall I go back a step? T just will not leave H alone. We have glimmers of hope like the videos posted and then the next day it will just be rubbish again. It’s also very very hard to play with them separate, T does not appreciate being locked away, neither does H. So the majority of play time is basically T watching H which I’m worried is making him jealous or something, which will usually end in him pouncing on her.

Anyway, we’re at home more now so I guess the plus side of this virus is getting to spend more time with them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I have been playing with T with new toys but they have a very short shelf life. The most engaged he is in play is when I hide the toys under a blanket, but even then he’s not really running around so I’m worried he has a lot of pent up energy that he takes out on H." - Yes, just do your best. Try to get him running around if possible. It is good he is engaging with the toy under the blanket. He still is in the fascination period with his new sister. :/ It does happen.

BUT I am really heartened by the fact he does know the line and does not hurt her. He is conscious of how he interacts and that does tell us a lot. That is so important as to my confidence they will be fine. I know it is scary and too rough but he is showing restraint and caution. And that tells me there is respect and no is real issue about acceptance.

"H hides or ducks a lot. For instance she’ll be running and see him in the hall and divert herself. Or she’ll go into high places to avoid him." - That is normal and fine. And if T doesn't get to focused, chasing and he respects that she "escapes" and feels severe going high then it actually builds confidence. Meaning, she does something and if T respects it then the fact nothing negative happens it is a positive that builds confidence.

"I’m sure T isn’t going to hurt her" - THAT is VERY GOOD!!

I know it is frustrating but honestly, I think there are a lot of positives. We aren't really worried about acceptance we are more worried about how we can get them to stop being so rough so as not to have an accidental injury. T seems really restrained and respectful and accepting. He seems to want to have fun rather than drive her out of his territory. And H doesn't seem to be that fearful. It is not perfect but I think you are much further along than you may realize.

"T just will not leave H alone. We have glimmers of hope like the videos posted and then the next day it will just be rubbish again." - this is very normal. But it is what kind of attention that matters. It seems to me to be more of an infatuation/play/fun attention rather than a "drive this intruder away from my territory". Some of the infatuation will go away over time. In the meantime just try to make it as positive as possible.

It is important not to take territory away from T. So I would not lock away T if at all possible. It is ok if H has to go in "her" territory but try to keep T access to his territory if at all possible. Now the fact H does not like being 'locked away" tells me she doesn't fear T as much as you may think. Reading their actions is important to understand the relationships and risks.

"So the majority of play time is basically T watching H which I’m worried is making him jealous or something, which will usually end in him pouncing on her." - Yes, the danger is H acts like a toy and T plays with her. BUT if he shows restraint that is good. I would try to reassure T that everything is ok, he is loved. Try to distract him if at all possible. If H is playing and not focusing on T then H can't be that afraid of T as no cat would turn there focus away from a potential threat.

We would like to have T not pounce so try to distract as much as possible. Food. Words. Anytime T gets distracted it is a positive. We want to try to make something else more interesting than H. BUT again, it is really good T is showing restraint and respect.

I am actually really encouraged by where you are. I would not take a step back at this point. UNLESS you think H is at risk or you sense some negativity. They are spending a lot more time now than I thought they were which is actually very impressive. A lot of what you describe is very normal. Watching the nuance is key.

I would just keep doing what you are doing, really try to work on distracting T. Different things, methods, etc. Keep making those positive associations (food), positive encounters. Try your best with play.

Tell me how H is acting after the rough play. Any video can be helpful as well.

:/ Yes, we do have to find some positives and hope from this awful, horrific virus.

Keep trying to make the time they have together as positive as possible. I do think you are doing really well. You have more fine tuning rather than heavy lifting which is really encouraging.

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"I have been playing with T with new toys but they have a very short shelf life. The most engaged he is in play is when I hide the toys under a blanket, but even then he’s not really running around so I’m worried he has a lot of pent up energy that he takes out on H." - Yes, just do your best. Try to get him running around if possible. It is good he is engaging with the toy under the blanket. He still is in the fascination period with his new sister. :/ It does happen.

BUT I am really heartened by the fact he does know the line and does not hurt her. He is conscious of how he interacts and that does tell us a lot. That is so important as to my confidence they will be fine. I know it is scary and too rough but he is showing restraint and caution. And that tells me there is respect and no is real issue about acceptance.

"H hides or ducks a lot. For instance she’ll be running and see him in the hall and divert herself. Or she’ll go into high places to avoid him." - That is normal and fine. And if T doesn't get to focused, chasing and he respects that she "escapes" and feels severe going high then it actually builds confidence. Meaning, she does something and if T respects it then the fact nothing negative happens it is a positive that builds confidence.

"I’m sure T isn’t going to hurt her" - THAT is VERY GOOD!!

I know it is frustrating but honestly, I think there are a lot of positives. We aren't really worried about acceptance we are more worried about how we can get them to stop being so rough so as not to have an accidental injury. T seems really restrained and respectful and accepting. He seems to want to have fun rather than drive her out of his territory. And H doesn't seem to be that fearful. It is not perfect but I think you are much further along than you may realize.

"T just will not leave H alone. We have glimmers of hope like the videos posted and then the next day it will just be rubbish again." - this is very normal. But it is what kind of attention that matters. It seems to me to be more of an infatuation/play/fun attention rather than a "drive this intruder away from my territory". Some of the infatuation will go away over time. In the meantime just try to make it as positive as possible.

It is important not to take territory away from T. So I would not lock away T if at all possible. It is ok if H has to go in "her" territory but try to keep T access to his territory if at all possible. Now the fact H does not like being 'locked away" tells me she doesn't fear T as much as you may think. Reading their actions is important to understand the relationships and risks.

"So the majority of play time is basically T watching H which I’m worried is making him jealous or something, which will usually end in him pouncing on her." - Yes, the danger is H acts like a toy and T plays with her. BUT if he shows restraint that is good. I would try to reassure T that everything is ok, he is loved. Try to distract him if at all possible. If H is playing and not focusing on T then H can't be that afraid of T as no cat would turn there focus away from a potential threat.

We would like to have T not pounce so try to distract as much as possible. Food. Words. Anytime T gets distracted it is a positive. We want to try to make something else more interesting than H. BUT again, it is really good T is showing restraint and respect.

I am actually really encouraged by where you are. I would not take a step back at this point. UNLESS you think H is at risk or you sense some negativity. They are spending a lot more time now than I thought they were which is actually very impressive. A lot of what you describe is very normal. Watching the nuance is key.

I would just keep doing what you are doing, really try to work on distracting T. Different things, methods, etc. Keep making those positive associations (food), positive encounters. Try your best with play.

Tell me how H is acting after the rough play. Any video can be helpful as well.

:/ Yes, we do have to find some positives and hope from this awful, horrific virus.

Keep trying to make the time they have together as positive as possible. I do think you are doing really well. You have more fine tuning rather than heavy lifting which is really encouraging.
Hi! Sorry for the radio silence. I wanted to give it a few weeks to see how they get on. Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful reply. Honestly the reassurance means a lot to me!

So we have been getting a bit better. In lockdown obviously I have a lot of time to be around / play with the cats. T is getting better at playing with toys and I now seem to be able to distract him if he looks like he's going to pounce on her. We have also got into more of a routine now so that they know it's playtime. If I'm in the room with both H and T, T tends to know to leave H alone. However, he will still try and pounce on her if I'm in a different room and I still have to respond to her howling whenever he grabs her. Luckily he seems to react to my voice in telling him to get off her. Also if she escapes by jumping on something high he will leave her alone. She also tends to bounce back almost immediately, so I assume it hasn't bothered her too much?

T still chases H I'd say 90% of the time. The other 10% H will try and chase him or go up to him and then run away. I'm wondering if H likes to be chased? She seems to run away from him in a playful way - tail up, sort of bunny hopping her way down the hall. I sometimes worry that T is chasing her too much and that it's not reciprocal - how can I tell that she enjoys being chased? Should it be more 50 / 50?

Playtime is definitely difficult in that T tends to dominate the scene and go for the toy before H can and she tends to stand back or be bit wary of him. I know play separately is important- but it's virtually impossible to play with the separately. If I'm with one cat, the other one will want to be there.

H loves to escape T by hiding under the sofa. I've been worried about this as I don't want her to be scared under there, but whenever I go to fetch her from behind it she tries to paw me in a playful way as though it's a game? Is it better to leave her under there and let her come out in her own time? I don't like the thought she might feel like she can't come out because of T but also don't know if it's part of her game?

Also another question. We are still keeping them separate at night and when we go out (which obviously isn't much at the moment), but I wanted to ask when do you know when it's okay to leave them together? I really don't want to keep them separate when things go back to normal after her having all this freedom, but I also don't want her to get injured or scared.

Thank you again for your excellent help :) I hope you're keeping well and safe.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear things are improving. I think that they are both enjoying themselves and that there is no need to keep them separated at night or to interfere in their wrestling. She will not get injured. They will settle it among themselves and may get along even better without the nightly separation.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Sorry for the radio silence. I wanted to give it a few weeks to see how they get on. Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful reply. Honestly the reassurance means a lot to me!

So we have been getting a bit better. In lockdown obviously I have a lot of time to be around / play with the cats. T is getting better at playing with toys and I now seem to be able to distract him if he looks like he's going to pounce on her. We have also got into more of a routine now so that they know it's playtime. If I'm in the room with both H and T, T tends to know to leave H alone. However, he will still try and pounce on her if I'm in a different room and I still have to respond to her howling whenever he grabs her. Luckily he seems to react to my voice in telling him to get off her. Also if she escapes by jumping on something high he will leave her alone. She also tends to bounce back almost immediately, so I assume it hasn't bothered her too much?

T still chases H I'd say 90% of the time. The other 10% H will try and chase him or go up to him and then run away. I'm wondering if H likes to be chased? She seems to run away from him in a playful way - tail up, sort of bunny hopping her way down the hall. I sometimes worry that T is chasing her too much and that it's not reciprocal - how can I tell that she enjoys being chased? Should it be more 50 / 50?

Playtime is definitely difficult in that T tends to dominate the scene and go for the toy before H can and she tends to stand back or be bit wary of him. I know play separately is important- but it's virtually impossible to play with the separately. If I'm with one cat, the other one will want to be there.

H loves to escape T by hiding under the sofa. I've been worried about this as I don't want her to be scared under there, but whenever I go to fetch her from behind it she tries to paw me in a playful way as though it's a game? Is it better to leave her under there and let her come out in her own time? I don't like the thought she might feel like she can't come out because of T but also don't know if it's part of her game?

Also another question. We are still keeping them separate at night and when we go out (which obviously isn't much at the moment), but I wanted to ask when do you know when it's okay to leave them together? I really don't want to keep them separate when things go back to normal after her having all this freedom, but I also don't want her to get injured or scared.

Thank you again for your excellent help :) I hope you're keeping well and safe.
No need to be sorry. Totally understand.

:yess: :clap2: "T is getting better at playing with toys and I now seem to be able to distract him if he looks like he's going to pounce on her. We have also got into more of a routine now so that they know it's playtime. If I'm in the room with both H and T, T tends to know to leave H alone." - THIS is FANTASTIC!!! Tells me T is all about play with her. No intent of hurting her.

"However, he will still try and pounce on her if I'm in a different room and I still have to respond to her howling whenever he grabs her. Luckily he seems to react to my voice in telling him to get off her. Also if she escapes by jumping on something high he will leave her alone. " - Yes, this is how cats will be. Brats. BUT he responds to your voice AND when she goes high he leaves her be. That is really positive. Just keep building her confidence as the more confident she is the less rough play he will do (of course they still will play).

"She also tends to bounce back almost immediately" - This is most important. We can think what they are thinking but she is telling us she doesn't really feel threatened. Confirmation of our observation and interpretation. GREAT!!!

"T still chases H I'd say 90% of the time. The other 10% H will try and chase him or go up to him and then run away. I'm wondering if H likes to be chased? She seems to run away from him in a playful way - tail up, sort of bunny hopping her way down the hall." - T chasing makes sense. That is how cats play. But again, what is really telling is that H chases or wants to be chased. Sounds like total play to me. Sounds like they have a good understanding of "the game" and the fact H is participating (instigating?) tells me again that she doesn't view him negatively or as a threat. A cat in a scary situation does not act like that.

"I sometimes worry that T is chasing her too much and that it's not reciprocal - how can I tell that she enjoys being chased? Should it be more 50 / 50?" - Oh he probably is chasing too much but he loves it and her. It is a problem when she starts acting differently. You can tell she enjoys it by her encouraging him to play. My cats do this ALL THE TIME. Cats love that kind of play. But it has to be followed up with positive behavior. We don;t want to see changes in behavior (negative). It doesn't have to be 50/50. As long as it is not 100% and negative behavior after it is fine.

"Playtime is definitely difficult in that T tends to dominate the scene and go for the toy before H can and she tends to stand back or be bit wary of him. I know play separately is important- but it's virtually impossible to play with the separately. If I'm with one cat, the other one will want to be there." - Yes, it is difficult often. If it is positive and the cats are doing well and having fun that is fine. And anytime H is not being in a negative situation it is a positive. It sounds good to me.

"H loves to escape T by hiding under the sofa. I've been worried about this as I don't want her to be scared under there, but whenever I go to fetch her from behind it she tries to paw me in a playful way as though it's a game? Is it better to leave her under there and let her come out in her own time? I don't like the thought she might feel like she can't come out because of T but also don't know if it's part of her game?" - If she rebounds quickly then I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer her to go high but it isn't necessary. It could be play (pawing) or a "leave me alone". I would just call her or positively coerce her to come out. Make it positive and on her terms so she thinks she decided to come out. And try to make it positive when she does come out.

"Also another question. We are still keeping them separate at night and when we go out (which obviously isn't much at the moment), but I wanted to ask when do you know when it's okay to leave them together? I really don't want to keep them separate when things go back to normal after her having all this freedom, but I also don't want her to get injured or scared." - This is the tricky part. My guess is when you all are gone they will just sleep. So you could try to keep them separate and see how they behave when you come home. My sense is T doesn't want to hurt H but he is bigger and I would probably like to see H a bit more confident and bigger. Of course, separating them can cause issues. I need to think about this more. We do need to finish off the intro and I honestly think you are 99.9% of the way there. But we need to feel comfortable leaving them together. Hmmmmmmm. Bengals are so energetic so it makes it trickier. Let's think more about this and how comfortable you feel.

Thank you. Let's figure out the last piece. I will say you have done a great job as have the cats.

We are keeping safe (Stay at Home). You stay safe as well.

Let me know how you are feeling about them being together. Most cats will just sleep when their owners are away but Bengals are more energetic. I don't think T would hurt H on purpose but could there be an accident?

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey..only just spotted your post..lovely cats but I am biased..lol.
You have done well...Bengal intros can some times be very problematic sometimes.
Also they play rough which can be a bit of a shock sometimes if you are not used to multiple Bengals in the house..
They also are very jealous of your attention and staging attacks and fights is a sure way the male cat will get it but would say you have picked up on this already.
And don't underestimate their intelligence and getting this attention either as they will both find a way to push your buttons.
Like you said Bengals are hard work and in your face 24/7.
Sounds like things are starting to go Ok
Good luck and have fun with them.

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No need to be sorry. Totally understand.

:yess: :clap2: "T is getting better at playing with toys and I now seem to be able to distract him if he looks like he's going to pounce on her. We have also got into more of a routine now so that they know it's playtime. If I'm in the room with both H and T, T tends to know to leave H alone." - THIS is FANTASTIC!!! Tells me T is all about play with her. No intent of hurting her.

"However, he will still try and pounce on her if I'm in a different room and I still have to respond to her howling whenever he grabs her. Luckily he seems to react to my voice in telling him to get off her. Also if she escapes by jumping on something high he will leave her alone. " - Yes, this is how cats will be. Brats. BUT he responds to your voice AND when she goes high he leaves her be. That is really positive. Just keep building her confidence as the more confident she is the less rough play he will do (of course they still will play).

"She also tends to bounce back almost immediately" - This is most important. We can think what they are thinking but she is telling us she doesn't really feel threatened. Confirmation of our observation and interpretation. GREAT!!!

"T still chases H I'd say 90% of the time. The other 10% H will try and chase him or go up to him and then run away. I'm wondering if H likes to be chased? She seems to run away from him in a playful way - tail up, sort of bunny hopping her way down the hall." - T chasing makes sense. That is how cats play. But again, what is really telling is that H chases or wants to be chased. Sounds like total play to me. Sounds like they have a good understanding of "the game" and the fact H is participating (instigating?) tells me again that she doesn't view him negatively or as a threat. A cat in a scary situation does not act like that.

"I sometimes worry that T is chasing her too much and that it's not reciprocal - how can I tell that she enjoys being chased? Should it be more 50 / 50?" - Oh he probably is chasing too much but he loves it and her. It is a problem when she starts acting differently. You can tell she enjoys it by her encouraging him to play. My cats do this ALL THE TIME. Cats love that kind of play. But it has to be followed up with positive behavior. We don;t want to see changes in behavior (negative). It doesn't have to be 50/50. As long as it is not 100% and negative behavior after it is fine.

"Playtime is definitely difficult in that T tends to dominate the scene and go for the toy before H can and she tends to stand back or be bit wary of him. I know play separately is important- but it's virtually impossible to play with the separately. If I'm with one cat, the other one will want to be there." - Yes, it is difficult often. If it is positive and the cats are doing well and having fun that is fine. And anytime H is not being in a negative situation it is a positive. It sounds good to me.

"H loves to escape T by hiding under the sofa. I've been worried about this as I don't want her to be scared under there, but whenever I go to fetch her from behind it she tries to paw me in a playful way as though it's a game? Is it better to leave her under there and let her come out in her own time? I don't like the thought she might feel like she can't come out because of T but also don't know if it's part of her game?" - If she rebounds quickly then I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer her to go high but it isn't necessary. It could be play (pawing) or a "leave me alone". I would just call her or positively coerce her to come out. Make it positive and on her terms so she thinks she decided to come out. And try to make it positive when she does come out.

"Also another question. We are still keeping them separate at night and when we go out (which obviously isn't much at the moment), but I wanted to ask when do you know when it's okay to leave them together? I really don't want to keep them separate when things go back to normal after her having all this freedom, but I also don't want her to get injured or scared." - This is the tricky part. My guess is when you all are gone they will just sleep. So you could try to keep them separate and see how they behave when you come home. My sense is T doesn't want to hurt H but he is bigger and I would probably like to see H a bit more confident and bigger. Of course, separating them can cause issues. I need to think about this more. We do need to finish off the intro and I honestly think you are 99.9% of the way there. But we need to feel comfortable leaving them together. Hmmmmmmm. Bengals are so energetic so it makes it trickier. Let's think more about this and how comfortable you feel.

Thank you. Let's figure out the last piece. I will say you have done a great job as have the cats.

We are keeping safe (Stay at Home). You stay safe as well.

Let me know how you are feeling about them being together. Most cats will just sleep when their owners are away but Bengals are more energetic. I don't think T would hurt H on purpose but could there be an accident?

Haha, they are certainly brats! T especially. When I'm in the room I can see him about to test his luck, luckily he is learning.
With building her confidence is that through play, height and love as you suggested? She definitely gets tonnes of love and places to escape. We play with her a lot but like I mentioned before it's hard to do this without T overtaking the play time - any suggestions?

Yes H will instigate a lot of the time. For example if she hears him using his litter she'll run over and wait outside the box only to run away again. T's favourite thing at the moment is to go into the wardrobe and meow. She loves this and will go over and start pawing the wardrobe for him. I still think T takes it too far sometimes. It's like H wants to be chased but doesn't want to be caught :flail:

Thank you for your thoughts re keeping them separate. I think we will continue as we are at the moment for a month or so -which is only keeping them separate at night (never in the day anymore as we're always inside!) - and give it a try later on when she's bigger. She's still tiny in comparison to him! I'm also concerned they'll keep me up all night with all the chasing going on! But we will see eventually... I'll keep you updated and thanks again!

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey..only just spotted your post..lovely cats but I am biased..lol.
You have done well...Bengal intros can some times be very problematic sometimes.
Also they play rough which can be a bit of a shock sometimes if you are not used to multiple Bengals in the house..
They also are very jealous of your attention and staging attacks and fights is a sure way the male cat will get it but would say you have picked up on this already.
And don't underestimate their intelligence and getting this attention either as they will both find a way to push your buttons.
Like you said Bengals are hard work and in your face 24/7.
Sounds like things are starting to go Ok
Good luck and have fun with them.
Thank you for your reply!
Ah, I am biased too! Haha, but they sure are a handful.
The boy plays very rough for sure... the girl less so. Bless her.
Have you had bengal intros before? How did they go?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, they are certainly brats! T especially. When I'm in the room I can see him about to test his luck, luckily he is learning.
With building her confidence is that through play, height and love as you suggested? She definitely gets tonnes of love and places to escape. We play with her a lot but like I mentioned before it's hard to do this without T overtaking the play time - any suggestions?

Yes H will instigate a lot of the time. For example if she hears him using his litter she'll run over and wait outside the box only to run away again. T's favourite thing at the moment is to go into the wardrobe and meow. She loves this and will go over and start pawing the wardrobe for him. I still think T takes it too far sometimes. It's like H wants to be chased but doesn't want to be caught :flail:

Thank you for your thoughts re keeping them separate. I think we will continue as we are at the moment for a month or so -which is only keeping them separate at night (never in the day anymore as we're always inside!) - and give it a try later on when she's bigger. She's still tiny in comparison to him! I'm also concerned they'll keep me up all night with all the chasing going on! But we will see eventually... I'll keep you updated and thanks again!
When he does start always feel free to distract with a toy, or words (calm and confident) or a treat. Just to give an alternative and to keep it positive and let T know that it isn't always a chase (though it does seem she likes that).

"With building her confidence is that through play, height and love as you suggested?" - Yes. Play as much as possible and feed treats or a meal after. Also, keep feeding them together if possible to build a positive association and a positive encounter. Give her places to go high (cat trees, shelving if possible, dressers, etc), warm and comfy bedding and scratching posts to let her "own" more things by getting her scent on them. And Love (if you can without being at risk of being hurt in anyway. And a part of love is trying to make every encounter between them as positive as possible and avoiding negative encounters (as avoiding a negative is a positive and builds confidence).

"We play with her a lot but like I mentioned before it's hard to do this without T overtaking the play time - any suggestions?" - This is always a challenge. If one can play with T and one with H that can be good. Also, if T takes over and isn't bothering H then it is a positive encounter and will build confidence. And if you feed them treats after and they are near each other that is a positive.

There are a lot of ways to build confidence, not all need to succeed, but if some do confidence should be built.

"Yes H will instigate a lot of the time." - That tells me that H thinks their relationship is pretty good. If she feared him she would not be doing that.

"For example if she hears him using his litter she'll run over and wait outside the box only to run away again. T's favourite thing at the moment is to go into the wardrobe and meow. She loves this and will go over and start pawing the wardrobe for him." - Too funny. Sounds like she is enjoying him.

"I still think T takes it too far sometimes." - Yes, he doesn't realize how much bigger he is. BUT he seems to be gentle with her. He hasn't really hurt her yet it seems and definitely doesn't seem to want to intentionally hurt her which is great. But I know, I worry about an accidental moment. We always do. Accidents can always happen sadly.

"It's like H wants to be chased but doesn't want to be caught" - Yes, that is how cats are typically. Cats LOVE to chased and be chased. As long as it doesn't result to a fight ............

"Thank you for your thoughts re keeping them separate. I think we will continue as we are at the moment for a month or so -which is only keeping them separate at night (never in the day anymore as we're always inside!) - and give it a try later on when she's bigger." - I think it is a good idea. And given they are doing well now it should be fine. I do think we may face some issues when you all have to be away during the day since cats don;t like change but we can handle that. I suspect they will sleep all day and adjsut quickly but they may have excess energy when together when you are home. Then separating at night is probably a good idea to continue so you and they can rest instead of play.

"She's still tiny in comparison to him! I'm also concerned they'll keep me up all night with all the chasing going on! But we will see eventually..." - Yes, a size mismatch could cause an accidental issue. I don't get a sense he would intentionally hurt her but accidentally it is possible so supervision is best. I am just not as familiar with Bengals so probably have a tendency to err on the side of caution since they tend to be more energetic.

"I'll keep you updated and thanks again!" - Please do. You and the cats have done a great job. I wish I had more experience with Bengals to help more but I think you have done a great job. I will definitely be here for you and hopefully those with Bengal experience in addition to Silver Crazy will see this and add as well.

Please reach out to Silver Crazy for Bengal expertise. I am sure they will be willing to help.