Bath Time

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think they changed the formula on the Mane and Tail. My wife used to wash her hair with it and quit several years ago because it was drying her hair out. I do use the conditioner on the cat when he gets a bath though. The conditioner helps with grooming after the bath but rinses clean, and doesn't weigh down the coat or leave it oily feeling like some conditioners do.

As far as cats not needing baths, that's probably true in general terms. But I simply don't know how one can get away with never bathing thick coated, long hair breeds like Persians and Himi's. I've had a Persian or Himi for more than 30 years and without an occasional bath, matting will become an issue. I try and limit it to once or twice a year if possible but it has to be done to avoid mats, even with daily grooming. That's my experience at least. Thankfully, every Persian and Himi I've owned tolerated a bath (they all were started as kittens). Even my grumpy, impatient 12 year old still does. The after bath grooming and blow drying are where the "fun" begins with him ...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know they changed the formula.

It never occurred to me that bathing a cat would eliminate the mats. My long haired boys got shaved once a year to deal with the mats. One of them I only dunked in water when he got over heated. otherwise it would have been the vet bathing him with two or three people doing it.

I absolutely never used a hair dryer on any of my animals not even the chow mix who took 6 hours to dry on his own. Never had any who would stay in the room with a hair dryer.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bathing doesn't eliminate the mats, it just makes the fur less prone to matting. Oils and dirt eventually build up to the point when the fur is difficult to keep mat free. I've talked with breeders that recommend baths every month, even one that bathes every week. One of them even lathers and rinses 7 times!!! Unbelievable. Personally, I think that's nuts and can't be good for the coat or skin.

At any rate, it amounts to a necessary evil. Once or twice a year seems to do the trick for Gizmo. And he is the only one I've had who doesn't tolerate the hair dryer well. He did when he was younger, but now, the after bath grooming is a process in patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually scruff them. So I can brush them I play with her after

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well @drag you are talking about Persians with those long thick show coats. I still don't think short haired cats or Maine Coone cats need baths just to have baths. The vet told me the oils in their coats keep their skin in condition.

The last is why you need to figure out why your girl is itching, @Spookyandsammy. The vet should help you with that. It could be fleas, or allergies to food, her litter, your laundry detergent, or other things. There are suppliments your vet can suggest that may help with the itching. Your vet should be your cats' friend. If he isn't interested, get another vet.

If you do decide to keep on washing her, remember that soap is drying which tends to make skin itch. Ask the vet for a good conditioner to use afterwards. @drag mentioned that he used a conditioner.

And NEVER no matter who suggests it use a human hair dryer on your cat. Even on low settings you can burn their delicate skin. Also
a hair dryer is drying to the skin as well as the fur.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I never use a hair dryer I towel dry spooky it was spooky but she's fine so far I am getting her flea collar but idk if she will take it off she took off her collar so I gave up :purr:

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a calico that loves water. Sandwich is obsessed with it when I turn the sink on or the tub she's playing in it

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All I can say is that if you have experience with Persians and Himi's you know the deal with bathing and grooming. As far as blow drying, I agree with kflowers, don't use a dryer made for humans. They get too hot even on the lowest setting and it's too easy to burn the cats skin. For anyone needing a blow dryer for regular use on their cats, get one made for pets. The professional models can get very expensive but there are some decent, home use blow dryers dedicated for pets that aren't super expensive.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you don't use the hair dryer.

Before you buy a flea collar look the ones you're thinking of up on the google like this -- brand name flea collar reviews and complaints. That will help you find the best one for your cat.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
All I can say is that if you have experience with Persians and Himi's you know the deal with bathing and grooming. As far as blow drying, I agree with kflowers, don't use a dryer made for humans. They get too hot even on the lowest setting and it's too easy to burn the cats skin. For anyone needing a blow dryer for regular use on their cats, get one made for pets. The professional models can get very expensive but there are some decent, home use blow dryers dedicated for pets that aren't super expensive.
Y
No I have a short hair black cat

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you don't use the hair dryer.

Before you buy a flea collar look the ones you're thinking of up on the google like this -- brand name flea collar reviews and complaints. That will help you find the best one for your cat.
What do you recommend

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't care for collars here, none of mine have and I was always afraid they'd get hurt on them in their wrestling matches. We use the topical - Advantage for cats. It comes in two sizes one for cats who are 9 pounds or less and one for cats who are 9 pounds or more. It works beautifully for us. Other people have found it doesn't work too well for them. It depends on where you live and no, I don't know by areas.

If you get it, you put the whole amount in one tube on the cat on the back of her head just below a line drawn from one ear straight across to the other. This is so they can't lick it off. It should NOT be ingested. Since you have two cats you will need to keep them separate until the topical dries. I separate for about an hour.

If you get a topical and I suspect a flea collar you MUST NOT get one made for a dog. The flea things for dogs have an ingredient, which I can't spell but someone else will, that will kill cats.

The first step in your search can be on this very site. Here is a thread for you to read.
Do not use cheristin for cats!!!!!!!!!

Some believe it is fine if you only use it for awhile. It seems to have a cumulative effect that is very bad for cats. Older cats and sick cats seem to have trouble from one or two doses. Personally I would stay away from anything made by ELanco, who makes the Cheristin. Their previous flea medicines were/are Trifexis and Comfortis. Nothing is absolute this is just my opnion.

I would stay away from any flea medicine made by Hartz Mountain company. They used to sue people who said anything against their company, but even way back in the early days vets were saying it wasn't the best. If you did have to use it, vets warned you to not let your children touch the collars or the pet's neck while wearing it.

There are others I would avoid - are those made by Bravecto, Nexgard, Cridelio and Simiparica. They contain Isoxayoline, which is under a FDA alert that they are dangerous.
FDA issues alert about some flea and tick products for dogs and cats

I know this is scary, but also remember that fleas can kill your cat. I almost lost a cat to fleas.

Read everything you can and make your choice. NEVER use more than the recommended dose, never put the medicine on twice in one month. Keep track of it on your calendar.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Spookyandsammy do you have a vet? If you do, what does he or she recommend for parasite treatment and preventative? I know you have a thread on Health about one of your cats having worms and you (accidentally) gave all all the Bayer dewormer pills and from the last thread you have there, the worms are still an issue.

Itching doesn't necessarily mean fleas. Dry skin can cause itching, just like it does in people. A food sensitivity can also cause itching. So can seasonal allergies and heavily perfumed cat litter.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She doesn't have worms anymore I use fresh step fabreez she does not have a vet yet I'm trying to find one she's getting her shots and spay soon along with Sandwich

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to get her the collar I'm afraid she will try to take it off or bite it she took off her break away collar I don't know how but she's smart

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you drop your cat off for the spay, ask about low cost vet clinics in the area and recommendations for vets in general. I found these in your area:

Home
Domain

Look into vets in your surrounding area, too.

Payment is generally required in full at the end of the visit. Financial aid options may be available, such as Care Credit. Ask when you are shopping around for a vet.

Call the Nevins Farm and see when the next general public vet clinic is: Methuen Medical Suite at Nevins Farm • MSPCA-Angell

If you can get to Westford, the MSPCA has a low income vet clinic there: Angell at Nashoba • MSPCA-Angell

Banfield, the vet hospital in many Petsmart stores, is also an option. The first visit for new clients is free but vaccinations, etc will cost extra.