Bath Time

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Spooky seems to be itching so I'm gonna tempt to give her a bath Mane 'n Tail Shampoo it's safe on cats should I put it in the spray bottle with water and mix it. And do it that way she doesn't have claw covers on her claws

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
It's safer that way I just feel bad she's itching and she has cat dandruff

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
No I just bathed her and she got water in her ears what do I do she's very angry and will probably try to kill me in the middle of the night I'm scared she moved out of my hands and slipped and got water in her ears I hope she's ok I didn't have alot of water just enough to get her wet

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats swim pretty well, it's natural to them. What they have a real problem with is temperature. Because they have such a large surface area (skin) in relation to their body mass they can loose heat very fast or gain heat. Because of this water is a threat to them. It's not the drowning part, which is a problem to all air breathers, but rather the hypothermia part. If you keep the temperature of the water close to their body temperature they will be much more relaxed. This includes not to hot as well as too cold. Around 100 F. At that temperature they don't get panicked with the need to get out. They might even begin to enjoy it. Also water that is deep enough so they can be immersed in it is also preferred. It's for the same reason, being wet and exposed to air cools them down. Being surrounded by body temperature water is much more comforting. Their fur does not feel heavy but floats in the water so it's like being weightless rather than being weighed down by all that wet fur.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as the water didn't enter her ears under pressure, she'll probably be fine. You can contact your vets office for his/her advice. If she's still trying to shake the water out tomorrow, definitely make the call.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat will not kill you in your sleep or when you are awake.

If she scratches you she is trying to avoid being picked up, she is not trying to kill you. Same if she bites you.

Your cat will hide from you. She may refused to let you pick her up for awhile, but that's it.

You said the cats had tapeworms. They get tapeworms from fleas, remember, that was mentioned. Fleas make cats itch.

Talk to your vet about this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW no matter how tempted you are do not use mane & tail on your own hair. It works beautifully for a few shampoos, it improves the way your hair looks, then, unless they changed the formula, it makes your hair brittle and it breaks off. That is because Mane & tail is for horses not people not cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Regular blue Dawn Original dish soap is just fine to use for a bath should you ever need to give a bath in the future. Use only a small amount and be sure to rinse completely.

You can also buy waterless, dry pet shampoos and pet wet wipes.

If your cat needs a flea bath, it's probably best to have a professional groomer do this and take care of clipping the claws as well.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I made sure I got it all I think I tramatized her but she will get over it I hope

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you it was my first time doing it and she had to leave me a "angry poop" she refused to cover it and that was my thanks for the bath mom

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when you bathed her you destroyed her scent, for a time, you made her invisible. Of course she left her poop uncovered. No one wants to be invisible.

Only bath your cats if they have fleas and you aren't using flea meds or if they get in something terrible - oil, syrup, something that will kill them if they ingest it, completely covered in dirt. Cats aren't dogs or people they are generally self-cleaning.

The except to the above is the Spinx cat, and other hairless cats. They need to be bathed once a week, I believe and kept in rooms with a temperature of 80F.

Last edited:

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Like I said I'm a new mom she was itching and I felt bad she was so I thought it would help

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
when you bathed her you destroyed her scent, for a time, you made her invisible. Of course she left her poop uncovered. No one wants to be invisible.
She never covers her poop and it smells up my room
Only bath your cats if they have fleas and you aren't using flea meds or if they get in something terrible - oil, syrup, something that will kill them if they ingest it, completely covered in dirt. Cats aren't dogs or people they are generally self-cleaning.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. As a new mom you need to speak to your vet about different things, itching is one of them. Ask his front desk people for all the information pamphlets they have. These have useful information in them.

As a new mom, it might be more useful to tell us the problem and ask for solutions before doing what you think may work.

Mane & Tail is a very drying shampoo that's why it makes human hair brittle. There is a good chance it will dry your cats' skin and make her itch more.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh ok I won't use it again now I feel bad i used it she won't let me brush her she tries to eat the brush

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF she's attacking the brush, grabbing it and biting at it, she is playing with it. She thinks you are playing with her. You have a toy to share. Warning - actually brushing her is not part of this game.

Keep learning, that's the key thing.