Baking dish question

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A recipe calls for a large baking dish (10-inch x 15-inch or 25 x 35 cm). Do I need a glass Pyrex-type dish like this? Pyrex 15"x10" Glass Baking Dish I only have a metal baking pan 9" x 13" and a 3 quart oval Corningware dish, both of which is probably too small for the recipe.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Tough question since I haven't baked in so long but dont you need to lower the temp for not using glass? I would like to know the answer too!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it depends on what it is. Glass will heat slower but hold heat longer, metal will heat up quicker. Some things that impacts the bake more then others. Sweets generally cook better in glass dishes because the slow heat ends up cooking them more evenly. Savory dishes metal will usually work better unless it's a stew then the slower heat works better.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Same here. Actually, I've never baked (as in cakes or pastry) using glass. It's just not a thing here in the UK, where metal pans are the norm. Everything else (pastas, casseroles, fruit crisps/crumbles etc) seems to fare equally well in metal, glass or ceramic dishes. If buying metal pans though, I do look for good quality heavier weight ones. The cheap thin ones tend not to last, as well as cooking less evenly.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a deep-dish pan, you might be OK. My 9 x 13-inch Fiesta pan has a deeper dish and it's rare that anything bakes over.

Is it something that will rise in the oven? A cake, for example? Don't try it. If it's a casserole, you might be OK, BUT put foil on the rack below your baking pan, just in case.

Also, you said 10 x 15, but you didn't mention the depth. I have a 10 x 15 metal baking pan, but it's only about an inch or so in depth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the recipe: Oven Baked Chicken And Rice Al lit says is a "large baking dish" and includes dimensions but not the depth. The pictures show a shallow glass baking dish so I'm assuming that kind of dish would work best for the recipe.

This is the metal baking pan I have: Anolon® Advanced Nonstick 9-Inch x 13-Inch Cake Pan I guess it's a cake pan really but I use it for baking chicken thighs all the time. Would this pan work for the recipe? Or the 3 quart Corningware?
In my opinion, yes it would work.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 3 quart Corningware looks like it should be just fine. That's the one I'd go for. Size isn't crucial with that type of recipe, just so long as the dish is big enough to avoid overflowing ;)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah:

For that dish, as long as it is big enough to not overflow you should be fine. I'd put a foil lined tray below it if you aren't sure or at least on the first attempt just in case. But I hate cleaning the oven so that may just be my own paranoia.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that the main concern is overflow, a common problem when I bake a chicken casserole. (I sometimes make two from the one recipe and still get a spillover.) I do as Kieka Kieka said, and do the foil lined tray. Or even put a piece of foil in the oven under my dish, just in case.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll try the Corningware dish with a tray underneath :crossfingers: Do I need to adjust the temperature or cooking time for a different type of baking dish?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep an eye on it as it bakes, and temperature test the thickest part of the chicken for doneness. Best of luck, it sounds good :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
How did it turn out? Good choice with the 3-quart Corningware casserole. I'm thinking of trying the recipe, too. It looks good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't made it yet. Maybe next weekend. That gives me time to get the necessary ingredients. I made a different chicken dish last night.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still haven't made the recipe yet but WILL make it for my Thanksgiving dinner since it'll just me and the cats. I got a large foil disposable pan from the supermarket today to catch any drips and messes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok. I'm all set to make this dish next Friday. I have all the ingredients and am not doing the optional mushroom thing.

Question: I don't have non-stick cooking spray and really don't want to buy one because I'm not going to use it again. Can I just use non-stick aluminum foil and grease it a bit? The foil width isn't enough to cover the 3 qt Coringware dish. I was thinking of folding the edges of two separate sheets of foil together to make one larger sheet and maybe placing a large sheet of regular foil underneath that in case liquid seeps out through the folded part. Would that work? Winchester Winchester :help:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I'm all set to make this dish next Friday. I have all the ingredients and am not doing the optional mushroom thing.

Question: I don't have non-stick cooking spray and really don't want to buy one because I'm not going to use it again. Can I just use non-stick aluminum foil and grease it a bit? The foil width isn't enough to cover the 3 qt Coringware dish. I was thinking of folding the edges of two separate sheets of foil together to make one larger sheet and maybe placing a large sheet of regular foil underneath that in case liquid seeps out through the folded part. Would that work?
I would just grease your baking pan with oil or shortening. I wouldn’t use the foil because it may stick and be a pain to peel off of your food. You do still want to use a cookie tray or a foil pan on the oven shelf below your casserole to catch any drips.