Baking dish question

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would either use a Pam type spray on the casserole dish or do what you have suggested. Or even parchment paper. Whatever you have on hand

For any dish with a sauce, gravy, juices;I would grease the casserole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's non-stick foil which I have used in the past and food really doesn't stick to it. The regular foil would go under the non-stick foil to keep any liquids from creating a burned on mess.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I"m not making this dish again. After 50 minutes of baking, I took the foil off per the recipe and found the still raw chicken swimming in broth and uncooked rice. Another half hour in the oven resulted in the chicken being cooked but still swimming in broth and partially cooked rice. I put the chicken on a plate and put the rice back in the oven for another half hour. The result was cooked rice but it was really mushy and wet. I don't know what went wrong :headscratch: Maybe the 3 quart Corningware dish was too small?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe? I don't know :dunno: I read through the older comments on that recipe and others also had the same problem of too much liquid that didn't get absorbed by the rice or chicken. One reply to one such comment said to use "HOT" water as stated in the recipe but I did use very hot water and still had too much liquid. The recipe calls for 2 cups of broth and 1.5 cups of hot water for 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice. If the temperature of the water needs to be very specific, then it needs to be clearly stated in the recipe. Another comment said to arrange the chicken in a certain way over the rice mixture to get the liquid to absorb :headscratch: but I don't see how that would do a thing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's what it looked like after 50 minutes:

20191128_163421.jpg

You can see all that liquid and no rice.

30 more minutes in the oven resulted in this:

20191128_170201.jpg

Much less liquid but the rice is very mushy.

This quantity of liquid seems too much to me, I think.
I think so too. I'll post my own comment on that recipe but I don't expect the recipe author or anyone to reply.