Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats get dry kibble out all night so they have no excuse to whine for food. They also don't have a regular schedule for wet food. Since Carrot won't eat wet food, Angua gets half a can of wet food at some point during the day, but not always the same point. She never knows when she'll get it and is fine eating dry food in the meantime. Carrot is the real talker for sure, he meows while playing, when he wants attention, and sometimes when he just feels like talking. Since Angua is a kitten she seems to be learning this behavior from him slowly.
Rainbow boys Wesley and Milo both insisted on middle of the night feedings but insisted I walk them to their bowls so I moved the bowls into the bedroom. That didn't work either so I brought in the bag one night to see what would happen since they always attacked the bag of kibble as soon as I brought it in if I left it on the floor. Silly kitties. That did the trick.
They just ate a little; mostly they ate wet during the day but this helped me get more sleep.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raise your hand if you ever find your kitties in just the strangest of places :wavey: you know underneath a box spring mattress there's a thin felt-like cloth running the whole of it? Well there's a hole in mine, so if it gets really quiet around here I've found that's where she's sneaking around. I can't fit under the bed so it takes a few minutes to coax her out of there!
The night I adopted my late cat Pepe he was wandering around and doing just fine. Then later I couldn't find him and it was time for me to go to work. I was so frantic and I called my manager and explained what was going on and said I couldn't come in. I tore the house apart looking for him and went around the block knocking on doors and asking neighbors. I eventually found him in the strangest of places... He was curled up sleeping in a pot inside a cabinet in the kitchen! Silly kitten made me miss work but he was so adorable that I forgave him of course. :)

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The night I adopted my late cat Pepe he was wandering around and doing just fine. Then later I couldn't find him and it was time for me to go to work. I was so frantic and I called my manager and explained what was going on and said I couldn't come in. I tore the house apart looking for him and went around the block knocking on doors and asking neighbors. I eventually found him in the strangest of places... He was curled up sleeping in a pot inside a cabinet in the kitchen! Silly kitten made me miss work but he was so adorable that I forgave him of course. :)
Oh my gosh how adorably scary! And maybe he was being sneaky on purpose because he just wanted to spend more time with you :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margd, @ellieandwinnie, @NewYork1303, @MagiksGirl   Thank you for your kind words.  Da Bird's pieces are currently resting on the mantel.  Eclipse came in the living room sniffing the air with his eyes closed trying to fine it.  So cute, he usually does it outside when he sits on the fence.

Fluffy has a hiding place upstairs.  I have no idea where it is.  She usually comes out if she hears her name.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh how adorably scary! And maybe he was being sneaky on purpose because he just wanted to spend more time with you :)
Hahaha! Maybe! I miss my Pepe. He grew up to be a big tough guy. He would beat up the neighbor's cat and would even bring me that cat's collar sometimes as a trophy! Needless to say, my neighbor and I weren't on very good terms. Pepe would bring me all sorts of wildlife too, and even sticks and flowers. He was an awesome cat.

(And this was years ago before I became a vet tech and learned about proper care for cats. My cats now are all indoor only and if any one of them got out and beat up a neighbor's cat I would be mortified. But I was young when all this was going on and I found it hilarious. Oh, the follies of youth. :) )

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha! Maybe! I miss my Pepe. He grew up to be a big tough guy. He would beat up the neighbor's cat and would even bring me that cat's collar sometimes as a trophy! Needless to say, my neighbor and I weren't on very good terms. Pepe would bring me all sorts of wildlife too, and even sticks and flowers. He was an awesome cat.

(And this was years ago before I became a vet tech and learned about proper care for cats. My cats now are all indoor only and if any one of them got out and beat up a neighbor's cat I would be mortified. But I was young when all this was going on and I found it hilarious. Oh, the follies of youth.
)
I love the idea of a cat bringing gifts. Carrot's gifts are always just the toys that he has, but I always praise him for being my best indoor hunter.

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Margd
, @ellieandwinnie
, @NewYork1303
, @MagiksGirl
  Thank you for your kind words.  Da Bird's pieces are currently resting on the mantel.  Eclipse came in the living room sniffing the air with his eyes closed trying to fine it.  So cute, he usually does it outside when he sits on the fence.

:wave2:   Fluffy has a hiding place upstairs.  I have no idea where it is.  She usually comes out if she hears her name.
I don't think Winnie has quite learned her name yet. We will continue to practice and in the meantime I'll have to keep coaxing her out if I need to until she finds a new super secret hidey-hole :D

(And this was years ago before I became a vet tech and learned about proper care for cats. My cats now are all indoor only and if any one of them got out and beat up a neighbor's cat I would be mortified. But I was young when all this was going on and I found it hilarious. Oh, the follies of youth. :) )
Aw! He really loved you and brought you lots and lots of gifts! :lol3:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I have had 12 cats over the years and only one ever bought me gifts. And since I was still letting cats go outside back then, these were the kinds of gifts I could do without.!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Winnie has quite learned her name yet. We will continue to practice and in the meantime I'll have to keep coaxing her out 
My kitten doesn't seem to know her name yet either. Carrot responded to his from early on, but Angua doesn't. I think she's probably just stubborn. I make sure to say her name when I feed her and when we play so that she'll associate it with good things.

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sing to her all sorts of silly tunes with her name: Winnie the Cat (to the tune of Winnie the Pooh haha) etc. :music3:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I sing to her all sorts of silly tunes with her name: Winnie the Cat (to the tune of Winnie the Pooh haha) etc.
That's so cute!  I used to tell my rainbow cat Milo the story of how he was adopted.  He would rest his head on my shoulder and I would start.  "Once upon a time there was a ginger tabby.  And he lived in a shelter. And....etc."

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that cats just love to hear us talk. I know that Carrot loves to talk and listen to me talking to him. He smiles and eye blinks when I do.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Our cats get dry kibble out all night so they have no excuse to whine for food. They also don't have a regular schedule for wet food. Since Carrot won't eat wet food, Angua gets half a can of wet food at some point during the day, but not always the same point. She never knows when she'll get it and is fine eating dry food in the meantime. Carrot is the real talker for sure, he meows while playing, when he wants attention, and sometimes when he just feels like talking. Since Angua is a kitten she seems to be learning this behavior from him slowly.
@NewYork1303  

I usually leave about a 1/2 cup of dry kibble out in a puzzle feeder for them to munch on throughout the night, if they get hungry, but I also try to feed them wet during the day. I'm trying to get Binx to lose some weight, as he's getting tubby at 12lbs :/

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how Fluffy learned her name.  She may have learned it at the shelter.  We fostered her and never bothered to change it when we adopted her.  It's so nice to have a cat come when you call her name.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@NewYork1303  

I usually leave about a 1/2 cup of dry kibble out in a puzzle feeder for them to munch on throughout the night, if they get hungry, but I also try to feed them wet during the day. I'm trying to get Binx to lose some weight, as he's getting tubby at 12lbs :/
Apparently they just really love their wet food more. Or just want to bother you and get your attention whether they have food or not. Crazy cats.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

I have no idea how Fluffy learned her name.  She may have learned it at the shelter.  We fostered her and never bothered to change it when we adopted her.  It's so nice to have a cat come when you call her name.
The smartest cat I've ever had refused to answer to his name.  He showed how intelligent he was in a million different ways so I figured he must have known it.  He just would not answer to it.  A rebel at heart.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our rainbow cat would only answer to her name when it was very convenient for her. Carrot on the other hand will come running when we call, but expects a treat for it.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I call any of my cats names, they all come running. I try to say each of their names in a different tone, but I can't seem to get any of them to learn their name. How did you guys teach your cats their names? Maybe some of your ideas will work with my cats.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
If I call any of my cats names, they all come running. I try to say each of their names in a different tone, but I can't seem to get any of them to learn their name. How did you guys teach your cats their names? Maybe some of your ideas will work with my cats.
Tell me, too!  Chula comes to "Chula" or "Paul" but Paul won't come to either one! 

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Guillermo will come when I call. And so will my CH cat Fernando. Although he'll come when I call out "monkey" too. :)

My girls Ingvild Solveig and Sniffles couldn't care less when I call their names. Silly girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.