Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dress shopping.  Gagh!  
  I had to take a medication that meant i gained a whole lot of weight and that was it for dress shopping.    I'm in total sympathy with everyone else who hates it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, look at that little thing! How do you get anything at all done with that kitty there to distract you?

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took up crocheting so I would feel useful while I sat watching tv all day on my days off. Now I went right back to being lazy! But I have a trusty partner in crime now :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is crochet difficult? I don't think my cats would allow me to do anything that involved yarn. I have enough trouble wrestling my computer keyboard out from under them.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
In other news, my crocheting has slowed down a lot since a cute little kitten came into my life and so sweetly gets in the way. How am I going to finish everyone's Chrisrmas presents now??
What a sweet picture!  Look at those dear little paws! 

Is crochet difficult? I don't think my cats would allow me to do anything that involved yarn. I have enough trouble wrestling my computer keyboard out from under them.
The basic stitch is very easy, just a matter of pulling the yarn through a loop.  It is when you start making patterns by skipping stitches or doubling and tripling up stitches that I run into trouble.  I can not follow a pattern and really admire some of the beautiful work that's been shown on this thread.

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It wasn't difficult until I had a mini assistant, now I spend most of my time trying to make sure she doesn't swallow any yarn LOL. I can't read patterns very well either! Each time I try a new one I spend a lot of time on YouTube learning all the stitches.

Oh the keyboard, it's never comfortable unless someone is trying to use it!

Also, am I the only one who uses an opportunity like a sleepy kitty to clip some claws? (Often not all of them in one go but it's less stressful for both of us haha!)

margd

Veteran
Purraise
It wasn't difficult until I had a mini assistant, now I spend most of my time trying to make sure she doesn't swallow any yarn LOL. I can't read patterns very well either! Each time I try a new one I spend a lot of time on YouTube learning all the stitches.

Oh the keyboard, it's never comfortable unless someone is trying to use it!

Also, am I the only one who uses an opportunity like a sleepy kitty to clip some claws? (Often not all of them in one go but it's less stressful for both of us haha!)
I definitely know the trick of clipping claws while kitty is sleepy.  I've used it with several cats.  Paul and Chula are actually pretty good about it, which is a blessing.  I had a cat once that actually had to go to the vet to have his claws clipped - I live alone and had no one to hold him tight while I clipped.  Once at the vet, he would allow his claws to be clipped without a fuss.  I guess he was so scared.  Poor baby.

That's a good idea to check out YouTube videos to learn stitches.  I'll have to try it. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While we do prefer you to stay somewhat on topic in the threads in the Lounge, you can always start your own thread about something you want to discuss. For the past few weeks Iv'e been posting about things in this threads that I would normally start a thread about just to keep this thread going.

My latest is dress shopping. Ugh. I HATE wearing dresses and going dress shopping. Anyone else with me? I'm short and a bit overweight and not a lot looks good on me. I had a bridal shower on Sunday that I had to buy a dress for and now I am on the hunt for a dress for the rehearsal dinner and wedding. The wedding is going to be a dressier event and I heard some people will be wearing gowns. I am not wearing a gown.
It's enough that I will have a dress on.
I have the exact same problem. I hate shopping for any kind of dress since I can't find anything the right length that will actually look good. I am absolutely  dreading wedding dress shopping since I know that it is going to be a royal pain for me to find anything that looks good on me. 

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she struggles at all I stop immediately and wait until she's asleep again. I don't want her to start to associate clippings with fear since we will be doing this for the rest of our lives together :) she does surprisingly well! I was so afraid I wouldn't be a good cat mama but I'm so happy with how our relationship is developing :D

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gawd, FUZZIES! Stop waking me up at 7am when I don't have school! You don't even eat when I put the food down! Well, Eddie doesn't eat it all, Binx is a freaking Hoover... that I have to constantly monitor, or else he eats Eddie's food as well. Little brats.

Anyone have any advice on how to discourage cats from meowing incessantly, once they notice you coming out of a sleep cycle, or is this something that (unfortunately) comes with parenthood? It used to be Binx, but now it's Eddie that's doing all the whiny meowing. I swear, he's a Siamese that fell in black paint.

Please tell me there's a way!!!

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Oh my gawd, FUZZIES! Stop waking me up at 7am when I don't have school! You don't even eat when I put the food down! Well, Eddie doesn't eat it all, Binx is a freaking Hoover... that I have to constantly monitor, or else he eats Eddie's food as well. Little brats.

Anyone have any advice on how to discourage cats from meowing incessantly, once they notice you coming out of a sleep cycle, or is this something that (unfortunately) comes with parenthood? It used to be Binx, but now it's Eddie that's doing all the whiny meowing. I swear, he's a Siamese that fell in black paint.

Please tell me there's a way!!!
If they are used to getting up at 7:00AM most mornings, they are going to be there bright eyed and roaring to go at 7:00 AM even if it's sleep in time for  you.  My old black cat Wesley was terrible about waking me up in the middle of the night to eat.  He used to dig one claw into my head anywhere from midnight to 4:00 AM.   I used to sleep with a pillow over my head sometimes.   It didn't work closing my door with him on the other side, he and his brother in arms just pounded on it and meowed all night long until I finally caved.  If you can hold out longer against the demands than I did, maybe shutting them out of your room at night is an answer.

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HA HA I get up at 5:30 am and as soon as the alarm went off Ghost would be right there making sure I got up. There was no hitting the snooze button. Weekends were the worst. He still expected me to be up at 5:30 and would be very persistent until I got up.

Morning when I forgot to set the alarm, he would make sure I was awake too. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Yes, who needs an alarm when you've got a cat!

Well, I just voted in the open mouth contest.  It was SO hard! 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, who needs an alarm when you've got a cat!

Well, I just voted in the open mouth contest.  It was SO hard! 
I haven't voted yet. I started with 20 and have worked my way down to 10 now. I will pick my 5 and vote tomorrow. This is the hardest contest yet. I love seeing all these pictures though.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I haven't voted yet. I started with 20 and have worked my way down to 10 now. I will pick my 5 and vote tomorrow. This is the hardest contest yet. I love seeing all these pictures though.
The photos are great. You can tell everyone is having the same problem because there are some fantastic photos that don't have nearly as many votes as they deserve.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are usually awake and ready at 5am even on weekends since this is when I get up usually. When I woke up for work this morning however, Angua complained since she was sleeping with me and didn't want me to leave the bed.

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties are slightly confused because I work night shift. It's nice because my roommate works opposite of me so they are never home alone for more than an hour and a half and whoever is awake at the time feeds them. Good thing they sleep SO much because after I tire them out they can come right back to bed with me after a night with my roomie. They are spoiled!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
My kitties are slightly confused because I work night shift. It's nice because my roommate works opposite of me so they are never home alone for more than an hour and a half and whoever is awake at the time feeds them. Good thing they sleep SO much because after I tire them out they can come right back to bed with me after a night with my roomie. They are spoiled!
That's wonderful your kitties have company most of the time.  When I used to work (retired now, yay)
mine were left at home for 9 to 10 hours a day.  I felt so awful for them.    Chula and Paul have me around 24/7 and it's really nice for all 3 of us.

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful your kitties have company most of the time.  When I used to work (retired now, yay) :wow: mine were left at home for 9 to 10 hours a day.  I felt so awful for them.    Chula and Paul have me around 24/7 and it's really nice for all 3 of us.
Yay retirement! :D It won't be easy when I go back to school in the fall and I'll be doing that and work. But at least no matter what if we're not home our kitties will have each other!

Status
Not open for further replies.