Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So strange.

With Twitter it weirds me out when strangers follow me. In the world outside of the digital one, following someone seems like the equivalent of bugging them so that you can hear everything that they say since you like what they say so much. It is creepy.

I am going to attempt to make snickerdoodles when I get home. I just hope they work out. I usually fail at making snickerdoodles for some reason.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

So strange.

With Twitter it weirds me out when strangers follow me. In the world outside of the digital one, following someone seems like the equivalent of bugging them so that you can hear everything that they say since you like what they say so much. It is creepy.

I am going to attempt to make snickerdoodles when I get home. I just hope they work out. I usually fail at making snickerdoodles for some reason.
Yummmmmm.  Snickerdoodles!  I hope they turn out.  I've never actually tried to make them.   I only make two kinds of cookies:  chocolate chip and oatmeal.

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 149 followers on my g+ profile. I only know something like 7 of them. People just randomly follow me all the time. I always wonder why they are there, but many of them will often +1 my random comments that I make so I guess they like what I have to say?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NewYork1303 NewYork1303 - I hope the baking gods smile on you and your snickerdoodles :vibes: May they come out perfectly :D

I believe @Winchester is a dab hand at these cookies (along with everything else culinary). She may have some tips for you.

Last edited:

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

So strange.

As I mentioned somewhere in here, I have over 30 Instagram followers and no pictures at all! The only thing there is a link to my facebook. 

SNS (Social Networking Sites) are so based on likes and popularity, I don't think people think twice about just following someone even if they don't personally know them. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yummmmmm.  Snickerdoodles!  I hope they turn out.  I've never actually tried to make them.   I only make two kinds of cookies:  chocolate chip and oatmeal.
I definitely worry about making snickerdoodles. Cracked sugar cookies I can do perfectly every time. Snickerdoodles tend to fall flat (literally). It isn't just the recipe either since other people have made this recipe with success.

I don't have an oatmeal cookie recipe. But I do love oatmeal cookies.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Facebook page but don't get on it much. It's mostly to stay in contact with family and close friends that I don't get to see much.

I am on here everyday Monday - Friday since I don't have a computer or internet at home. There are a few people here that I follow but it's mostly ones that I have gotten closer to because of similar happenings with our kitties.

I don't Instagram, YouTube, unless I'm looking for a specific video, Twitter or Google +

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh god! I hate those! I'm very interested in comics, cartoons and costumes, so I follow quite a few cosplayers on Facebook. I've lately started seeing about 30 hashtags such stupid ones at that! like:

#mirror

#door

#selfie

#makeup

#me

#meandmirror

#meanddoor

#backgrounddoor

#red #pink

#lights

#redhair

They just describe the whole darn picture with hashtags! Really?! Do you need to add a hashtag for the fact that there's a door behind you?! 

I hope instagram dies soon!

Btw... I made one when it had just opened, the only thing there is my display picture (of a cartoon) and a subnick redirecting people to my Facebook and I have over 30 followers on it! Why, people?! I have nothing on it yet you still follow me?! Makes no sense to me! Oh well, it's their time I guess 
there's an ever worse hashtag: #hairflip (followed by an actual hairflip AND selfie WITH a DUCKFACE ALL AT ONCE!  

DEATH TO HASHTAGS!!! They are the most obnoxious thing since that stupid talking fish you can hang on your wall. Even more obnoxious when I see someone with 25+ hashtags on a five word sentence. I get it! You want people to think you're living the life, but dang, dude, I don't need it shoved down my throat like that.

Rant over.
Actually hashtags are a way of participating in an ongoing conversation online. I've been quite active these days on my Twitter account (I have the same nickname over there too) given the latest developments in my country. Although, I would never use a hashtag to e.g. characterize a photo, or become impressive etc.. I do use them so that I can be read by others who participate in the same trend.. Sometimes to actually alter the trend 
 But yeah.. hashtags do not belong on Facebook.. I mean, where's the point??

I must be paranoid, because I don't friend anyone I haven't actually met, or have an established online/real life connection with :/
Nope, I'm with you on that.. Lots of creepy people out there.. 

I actually have 2 Facebooks: one "private" and a "public" one.

It's very common these days to have several. 

On the private one I add family and friends and the public one I add people that pass a screening (like no creepers or such) they just may be from my town or have common interests. I think I have less than 200 people on the private and over 2000 on the public one.

This helps me separate posts I care about and posts I don't, it also helps so I don't get many "game requests" on the private one.

The private one is helpful so I can add pictures of places I visit and such without worrying about being stalked of harassed by strangers. 

The public one is helpful so I can add pictures of public events I go to and take pictures of people: like comic conventions where you picture hundreds of people and you don't know them but still want them to have their picture of the day 
I have one, where I combine both friends/family and people with share interests. I don't think they're over 200.. I can't log in with one account, then log out and log in with the 2nd account... ugh! got tired just writing about it..! LOL
I found an ad on Craigslist about a missing yorkie who was stolen, and now a lady is rehoming him. I called the original owner and told her about it and she and I are trying to get the dog back to her. Anyone know any advice to help get the dog back? Sorry if this is wrong place to post this, but I can't stand animal flippers/ thieves
What if you present yourself as a person who is interested in adopting the dog, and work with the police at the same time? I've done that.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually hashtags are a way of participating in an ongoing conversation online. I've been quite active these days on my Twitter account (I have the same nickname over there too) given the latest developments in my country. Although, I would never use a hashtag to e.g. characterize a photo, or become impressive etc.. I do use them so that I can be read by others who participate in the same trend.. Sometimes to actually alter the trend 
 But yeah.. hashtags do not belong on Facebook.. I mean, where's the point??
Yay for using hashtags the right way. I wish more people did since it just adds to the confusion of Twitter otherwise.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I kind of like the social networking thing, even though I'm not very active on my accounts.  It reminds me of old science fiction stories that talk about artificial intelligence and about developing hive minds.  Just imagine if the internet became self aware! 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't do Facebook. People air too much dirty laundry there. They are friends with people they don't even know. Just give me my Cat Site. :nod:

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love social networking also. There would be no other easy way for me to keep up with HS friends & old friends I've met through the years. I'm pretty much over FB. I only use it to follow some magazines and bloggers. Instagram is where its at for me. I never got into Twitter (although I have hundreds of followers) or Snapchat or Vine. Ig has videos, so why do I need Vine? I still use Pinterest to pin recipes. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do Facebook. People air too much dirty laundry there. They are friends with people they don't even know. Just give me my Cat Site.
One of the radio stations I listen to has a segment that they call Facebook drama. They reenact drama that they find on their Facebook feeds. It is hilariously stupid most of the time.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yay for using hashtags the right way. I wish more people did since it just adds to the confusion of Twitter otherwise.
yeah, I've noticed that too.. And if you want to be a respected twitter, you need to keep it clean. I never engage in nonsence.. If I want to talk nonsence, there's always the private message. But if I want to make a statement, I'm twitting it, hastagging a trend. Not a "#hairflip" 

I kind of like the social networking thing, even though I'm not very active on my accounts.  It reminds me of old science fiction stories that talk about artificial intelligence and about developing hive minds.  Just imagine if the internet became self aware! 
WOW! DO tell more!! 
 Apart from joking, I never thought of that.. It's actually pretty interesting
I don't do Facebook. People air too much dirty laundry there. They are friends with people they don't even know. Just give me my Cat Site.
I couldn't agree more. But we must keep in mind that "Facebook friends" don't constitute friends in real life. What you are saying, becomes a problem when people confuse the two meanings and they develop so called "relationships" and "friendships" online!.. You 've all seen "CatFish the TV show" right? I mean WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM?? Do they actually believe that online chatting of :hearts: and :love: and :kisses:, really forms a RELATIONSHIP that they can depend on? And they feel "betrayed" when the person they've been talking to, might as well be a truckdriver with 3 teeth, while they thought they were talking to a "redhair hottie"? COME OOOON! 
 And I thought that actually meeting someone, touching them, seeing them, dating them might be a relationship! I've been doing it all wrong! LOL 

I love social networking also. There would be no other easy way for me to keep up with HS friends & old friends I've met through the years. I'm pretty much over FB. I only use it to follow some magazines and bloggers. Instagram is where its at for me. I never got into Twitter (although I have hundreds of followers) or Snapchat or Vine. Ig has videos, so why do I need Vine? I still use Pinterest to pin recipes. 
Ok, I don't like you.. 
 You just said a bunch of words I don't know.. What's Snapchat? Vine? Ig? (just kidding about the 'I don't like you' part! 
 )

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to talk about the weather. It has cooled off in the state I live in. There is no better place than my screen porch with a breeze blowing across there. Just missing my cats. :nod:

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GrizzlySapien  Haha, you're so funny. Ig = Instagram. Snapchat is where you snap a photo with your phone & send it a friend, but it only appears on their phone for a short time. Personally, I think it's stupid because I could always take a screen shot of my phone & keep the photo. Vine is an app where you share short videos. There are a lot of people who have become somewhat celebrities on these apps. Thousands or even millions of followers. I don't know if they make money on there, but you can definitely make a good deal of money on youtube. 

But really, you're not missing anything with Snapchat or Vine!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough, I have a real life friend who I met in a chatroom online (when I was in college). We ended up sharing a house for a couple of years. We still keep in touch, despite living at opposite ends of the country. She's married with kids now. I actually made the jewellery for her wedding :)

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! It's like someone posting #silkyhairfirmbooty AND #usedtobeaguy on the same tweet.. 

Oh, and Facebook drama? It is a reality! It actually exists! And it does happen every 5 mins! So, I quit logging in.. Too much! 

@GrizzlySapien  Haha, you're so funny. Ig = Instagram. Snapchat is where you snap a photo with your phone & send it a friend, but it only appears on their phone for a short time. Personally, I think it's stupid because I could always take a screen shot of my phone & keep the photo. Vine is an app where you share short videos. There are a lot of people who have become somewhat celebrities on these apps. Thousands or even millions of followers. I don't know if they make money on there, but you can definitely make a good deal of money on youtube. 

But really, you're not missing anything with Snapchat or Vine!
How does one make money our of Youtube? I've never heard of it..! Plus, I do think that all those pages and apps are being funded by the ads featured.. Which is perfectly understandable and logical.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GrizzlySapien   I understand the usefulness of hashtags... I suppose my rant was more about the rampant misuse and overuse of the darn things. I've steadfastly avoided a twitter account, simply because FB gets the job done for me. I can keep in touch with my friends that are far away from me, relatives that I actually want to keep in touch with, and interesting news.

Status
Not open for further replies.