Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are so many more interesting things to make over a campfire.  Why does he want popcorn?  I think my favorite was Banana Boats.  S'mores are ok
We made one thing in Girl Scouts where we cooked a cake in an orange peel. It was absolutely delicious but I have never found a recipe to make something like that again.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

We made one thing in Girl Scouts where we cooked a cake in an orange peel. It was absolutely delicious but I have never found a recipe to make something like that again.
Just yesterday a cab driver told me about cooking fresh corn wrapped in bacon over the fire.  Supposedly you pile on the tabasco sauce.  I kind of wondered why the corn leaves didn't catch on fire though.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also

SO - significant other

IB -  Irresponsible Brother

RB - responsible brother

the one that really threw me was atm - at the moment

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just yesterday a cab driver told me about cooking fresh corn wrapped in bacon over the fire.  Supposedly you pile on the tabasco sauce.  I kind of wondered why the corn leaves didn't catch on fire though.
You probably need to wrap it in aluminum foil.  When you cook corn on the grill your supposed to soak it in water first.  I don't know about the Tabasco sauce.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There are so many more interesting things to make over a campfire.  Why does he want popcorn?  I think my favorite was Banana Boats.  S'mores are ok
We camp a lot and we both prefer popcorn as snack over most other things. He likes S'mores (I dont'), I don't know what a Banana Boat is but would love to try it.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite things to make over the fire is pies. You get a pie iron for over the fire, put buttered slices of bread on both sides and then put a spoonful of pie filling in the middle. Delicious!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We camp a lot and we both prefer popcorn as snack over most other things. He likes S'mores (I dont'), I don't know what a Banana Boat is but would love to try it.
You can do it a couple different ways but I thing the traditional way is to take a banana, pull back part of the peel all the way down.  Cut out a wedge of the banana and fill the space w/chocolate and mini marshmallows.  Put the peel back over it and set it on hot coals for a couple of minutes.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do smores sometimes; but most of us prefer just to toast marshmallows.  Jet Puff makes a caramel vanilla marshmallow that is REALLY good toasted!!  

We didn't use our fire pit for the last several years.  I've been nervous to have it out around small kids.  My 5 year old is good around it now. The 3 year old still makes me nervous because he doesn't sit still for very long.  He'd rather wander around; which would be fine but he wants to wander where the action is! 

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this what you are thinking of?
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.todaysletters.com/2010/10/campfire-orange-cakes.html

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY finally get to post again LMAO ( I goofed earlier, 2 in a row)

@NewYork1303  there's no such thing as a stupid question. There are new ways to say things everyday so it's no biggy. I use BF for boyfriend.

My BF cooks his corn on the grill but don't wrap it. If he cooks is on a campfire, he will wrap it in aluminum foil so it don't burn. Yes corn should be soaked in water before cooking both ways.

I heard about cooking a cake in an orange peel but don't know how it's done. I would love to try it though, sounds delicious.

@Margd  I'll have to tell the BF about wrapping his corn in bacon before cooking it. I don't eat corn but I bet he would love that.

@Handsome Kitty  that sounds awesome!! I'll have to try it next time we go. We carry all 3 items with us on ever camp trip.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That looks good!  Now I want to go camping.  We are really bad cooks.  The last time we went as a family we tried to do burgers and they were awful.  But my kids were all scouts and learned how so maybe we could put them in charge. LOL
My BF's mom can cook anything over a campfire.

One year she cooked a whole Thanksgiving dinner at the campsite over a fire. That was the best Thanksgiving dinner I ever had.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Columbine
and @Handsome Kitty
Thank you! That is very helpful. I am definitely not up on the abbreviations that people use online. I know some, but not a lot of them.
I'm not up to date on most online abbreviations either! Most people my age (28) are on all kinds of social media sites and I'm not on any at all, unless this site counts. :) So I seem to miss out on a lot of these new abbreviations and memes and Internet jokes and stuff. Social sites like Facebook and Twitter really do not appeal to me at all. I don't feel the need to share the details of my life like that with a mass audience. If I want to tell someone about something that happened to me I'll just call or text them. And frankly, I just don't really care to know every single little thing that happens to everyone I know. You had an amazing sandwich for lunch? Cool. I'm happy for you. But I don't need to spend my time reading about it or looking at a picture of it.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound bitter, but it's upsetting to me to see how big this whole social media thing is becoming. I feel like technology is taking over our lives and it saddens me to see people at a restaurant glued to their phones and not even conversing with each other while they eat dinner. We're losing our talent for human interaction and it's depressing.

Ok, sorry guys... I'm done ranting, I swear. Any of you feel the same way?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing that bothers me the most about social media right now is hashtags. I had a class in college where we had to have a twitter account and I despised every minute of it. I hate that hashtags have now invaded facebook as well. They're stupid and usually don't make sense.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The thing that bothers me the most about social media right now is hashtags. I had a class in college where we had to have a twitter account and I despised every minute of it. I hate that hashtags have now invaded facebook as well. They're stupid and usually don't make sense.
That's how I feel too. I have a Twitter account but don't ever go to it. Now that they are on FB it drives me crazy. This is the only site I really get on daily, except for weekend when I don't have a computer.

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree! And it's so irritating when they're used in a place where they don't actually work as a link to related topics. Or god forbid, in verbal conversation. #solame

Hahahaha! (Sorry.)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand why they are useful so that people can search for posts related to a certain event or something, but they're not needed constantly. One of my friends recently used the hashtag #cheesecat. Seriously? Is anyone searching that? I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.