Babble Away! A Babbling Contest With Prizes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just because you can make a case for something it doesn't make it true. With fiction, you have to look at what the author intended rather than at retrospective reasoning. Fabulous topic for an acedemic essay/paper though :nod:

Just read the article. Very, very interesting. I'm a long way from convinced though. You have to remember the target audience. The interpretation in that article is a very adult one. It may have been partly shaped by other knowledge Rowling had, but to me it has far more in common with countless oher children's fantasy books than the kind of allegory (ok - I know that's the wrong word, but it's 3.20am here now) being suggested.

Last edited:

juliek75

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh god! He's such a cutie! I would just steal him and love him forever! How could anyone put him out like that? :shame:

You hit the nail on the head with that one!:jaw:  He seems to think, "What is this feeling in my belly? Why am not hungry or cold anymore? Will this last forever?" :hugs:
He seems so happy, I can't look at the pic anymore! I'm at the office and I don't want to cry! :paranoid:
Like columbine said don't cry his life is so much better now, he is loved, warm and fed now. But I know where your coming from. When we heard about him and brought him home all I could think about is what happened to his litter mates and where is momma cat?

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Columbine   I'll try. Sinbad is camera shy though, so it may be a while before I'm able to get one. It generally takes me several gigs of camera shots just to get 1 usable image that isn't a blur of him running away. My husband has commented that Sinbad can hear me picking up a camera from across the house. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh definitely. I just love hearing other people's interpretations of things. I think that one didn't really have enough evidence though.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@Losna  I was asking if you can read Japanese as well and complaining about how difficult it is to master the language.

1,000 is i-sen. いっせん。

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

As an English major I appreciate the alternative reading of the book. But it is disturbing to me as well. Here's a link to it

http://www.tickld.com/x/what-harry-..._medium=facebook&utm_campaign=harryp&ts_pid=2

To me its like the idea that in Ferris Buelers day off Cameron just dreams up the whole day and Ferris doesn't exist and is just an embodiment of who Cameron wishes he could be. 
Wow.  I just read that article.  It is very disturbing, just as you said.  The idea that Harry is violent paranoid schizophrenic was not what I was envisioning!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Norachan   So now I can count to 9999? 
 Japanese was just a lark for me one year when I had an open elective slot and a japanese roommate. So unlike the other languages I've studied, I never actually used it so most of it's gone. Languages fade out of memory so quickly. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*trying to think of something to say but brain is on strike :rolleyes: *

I wish I'd learned another language properly when I was younger. I'm so in awe of all the 2nd language English speakers here :worship: and you Norachan Norachan for speaking Japanese ;)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took years of Spanish from the time I was little to three years ago. I cant speak it at all. My sister is fluent though. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise

I took years of Spanish from the time I was little to three years ago. I cant speak it at all. My sister is fluent though. 
Spanish is the language I would take if I were to take one.  It would be most useful.  But what I'd really like to do is reacquaint myself with  French years later after HS.  Argh!  Paul is making biscuits on my stomach while I try to type!

margd

Veteran
Purraise
At least he leaves you in no doubt about how much he loves you @Margd
It's true, he does love me.  He's really sweet.  He likes to show me how much he loves me when I'm trying to sleep, too.  But it's better than Wesley who had The Black Claw of Death.  He used to take one claw and dig it into my head at night to wake me up and feed him when he was old and seemed to need midnight feedings.  It didn't matter if I left food out for him.  He insisted I walk him to the bowl.  Finally I wised up and left the bowl beside my bed.  He still woke me up though.  I just didn't have to get up.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How does she tell you she likes that one best NewYork1303 NewYork1303 ? I can see that it would be very interesting for her - I just want to know how you know ;)

Meantime, here's a treat for Angua
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

margd margd You're melting my heart with your stories of cuteness :heart3:

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does she tell you she likes that one best @NewYork1303? I can see that it would be very interesting for her - I just want to know how you know

Meantime, here's a treat for Angua

@Margd You're melting my heart with your stories of cuteness
@Columbine  Whenever she sees it she jumps up on the screen to tap the blue wavy things. She loves it. Her eyes are so big right now looking at all of those.

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I've been writing with a poster whose cat is recovering from a urinary blockage but I have no experience in this.  After barely urinating at all today, the cat just tried to go and couldn't produce anything.  Does anyone know if this constitutes an emergency or how long this situation can be allowed to persist?   He or she lives near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania so it is late at night and after hours. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww...so glad I made her happy :D

Getting sooo sleepy :sleep: It might sound stupid, but the longer I stay up the more I want to make myself stick it out. Nearly 4am now. I should very gone to bed like usual. My alarm goes off at 5am. I doubt we'll hit 1500 by then :doh3:

Status
Not open for further replies.