At wit's end

Prancu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone saw my recent post, you know that my cat Maia (7y F) has recently been dealing with a lot of urinary issues. After 3 different rounds of antibiotics and all the usual tests at the vet, I'm beginning to think it's stress related.
And based on her behavior recently, I'm guessing it's from being bored. But she's been super frustrating when it comes to playing. She cries and cries and gets into stuff until I get up to play with her. But as soon as I start playing, she lays down and refuses to interact with any toys (and I've tried them all). Eventually, I give up and sit down again. She immediately starts whining again. The cycle continues over and over. I buy new types of toys hoping to get her interest. She's interested for about 5 minutes and then bored again. I make up new games. I've tried food puzzles and bird feeders and mouse/bird tv. Nothing works.
Obviously, if this is affecting her health, I need to figure out something to keep her entertained and get some of her energy out. But at this point, I have no idea what. Another cat is out of the question, because she hates other cats, plus I can't with my apartment policies. Anyone have any ideas?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats have some very basic needs that people can't understand. They need to be able to climb, scratch, hide, hunt, feel safe, have a clean place to relieve themselves. If these needs aren't met they get stressed. Of course you don't know if these needs are met or not because nobody really knows what is going on in a cats head and what to them feels safe. What to them is clean? What to them is interesting? What do they want to climb?

Playtime has to be on the same schedule as does everything else. Cats are very much creatures of habit.

I will write more tomorrow or later today.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If her urinary issues have been cleared up and the vet is leaning toward it being related to boredom/stress, then it does make sense to try to alleviate stress through things like entertainment. Does she have cat trees, shelving to climb, windows to look out - maybe even place a bird feeder outside a window or two for her to watch birds? Automated toys?

Here are some TCS articles that might give you some ideas/information.
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite Articles
How to Entertain Your Cat in an Apartment (even a small one!) - TheCatSite Articles
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love! - TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite Articles

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check out some of Jackson Galaxy's videos on how to play with a cat: I've tried a lot of things like wiggling a toy under paper, doing various movements and above all PATIENCE.

When a cat is playing, they are hunting. So they may watch you wiggle the toy around sometimes for 5 minutes or longer. If they are keeping their eyes focused on that toy, they ARE playing in that moment. But many pet owners get frustrated and walk away. Then the cat's getting extra frustrated because they're getting ready to go for that pounce or they are watching that stimulation and you just stop.

I've noted that sometimes Magnus will sit and watch a toy and it helps him calm himself and he goes to sleep. He has one of those spinner toys that he watches. And sometimes we put the spinner on and he goes nuts at it.

He mostly really likes burrowing prey though so wiggling a little toy under some paper makes him hop at it and pounce and then we move on to a different part of the paper.

He also likes to play hide-and-seek chase. And he likes when I use a wrestle glove or wrestle toy with him.

Trying to play at the same time every day and keep it consistent will build your cat's level of play and how long they play for until they reach that comfortable 5 to 15 minutes a play session with you. Aim to get at least 20 to 25 minutes of play over 2-3 session but recognize that you are building to that. Don't give up because you do have to find what type of play they like and build it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prancu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If her urinary issues have been cleared up and the vet is leaning toward it being related to boredom/stress, then it does make sense to try to alleviate stress through things like entertainment. Does she have cat trees, shelving to climb, windows to look out - maybe even place a bird feeder outside a window or two for her to watch birds? Automated toys?

Here are some TCS articles that might give you some ideas/information.
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) - TheCatSite Articles
How to Entertain Your Cat in an Apartment (even a small one!) - TheCatSite Articles
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love! - TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite Articles
She has 2 cat trees, one that's massive. They both are in front of windows. I have a bird feeder in one window (the other is on the 2nd floor so I can't). She also has plenty of automated toys. She just ignores them. I will read these articles, to see if there's anything new. Thanks!

Prancu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check out some of Jackson Galaxy's videos on how to play with a cat: I've tried a lot of things like wiggling a toy under paper, doing various movements and above all PATIENCE.

When a cat is playing, they are hunting. So they may watch you wiggle the toy around sometimes for 5 minutes or longer. If they are keeping their eyes focused on that toy, they ARE playing in that moment. But many pet owners get frustrated and walk away. Then the cat's getting extra frustrated because they're getting ready to go for that pounce or they are watching that stimulation and you just stop.

I've noted that sometimes Magnus will sit and watch a toy and it helps him calm himself and he goes to sleep. He has one of those spinner toys that he watches. And sometimes we put the spinner on and he goes nuts at it.

He mostly really likes burrowing prey though so wiggling a little toy under some paper makes him hop at it and pounce and then we move on to a different part of the paper.

He also likes to play hide-and-seek chase. And he likes when I use a wrestle glove or wrestle toy with him.

Trying to play at the same time every day and keep it consistent will build your cat's level of play and how long they play for until they reach that comfortable 5 to 15 minutes a play session with you. Aim to get at least 20 to 25 minutes of play over 2-3 session but recognize that you are building to that. Don't give up because you do have to find what type of play they like and build it.
She doesn't even watch the toy anymore. She used to. And her tail would start swishing and her butt wriggling as she prepared to pounce. Now she will literally close her eyes and sprawl completely out as soon as I wave a toy around or throw some of her mousies. I know she's not really sleeping (she jumps up as soon as I sit down), and that's probably the real game to her, but it's not getting any of her energy out when she does that.
She also used to be really into pouncing on moving objects under things. That's why I have a ripple rug. Now she ignores any variation I try to play (rug, paper, blanket). Last night after posting I did discover she will still play with hair ties. But I'm terrified she will swallow them so I had taken them all away. I might see if I can just play with one and make sure to monitor her with it. That's the only thing she's been legitimately interested in in weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there any chance she might like to be chased? I know it sounds crazy but two of my three cats like for me to chase them around the house, then they hide behind something, then I run away and they follow me, and do it all over again. I know they aren’t scared because whenever I catch them, they are purring.

Prancu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any chance she might like to be chased? I know it sounds crazy but two of my three cats like for me to chase them around the house, then they hide behind something, then I run away and they follow me, and do it all over again. I know they aren’t scared because whenever I catch them, they are purring.
Lol I was just trying this yesterday. My parent's cat loves being chased so I thought it might work with Maia. Nope. She just looked at me like I was crazy and refused to participate.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like maybe her urinary issues could be some chronic thing that is causing pain etc. I don’t know what tests etc you did or what dvm said.

My Sybil had a life long issue which may have been interstitial cystitis and a pee problem combined with a dominance war thing. It never affected her playing though. At some point one dvm we consulted told us just to give her wet food only because that seems to help these cats, eventually she developed crf and I got her a water fountain which she absolutely adored, she loved to play with the water.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She doesn't even watch the toy anymore. She used to. And her tail would start swishing and her butt wriggling as she prepared to pounce. Now she will literally close her eyes and sprawl completely out as soon as I wave a toy around or throw some of her mousies. I know she's not really sleeping (she jumps up as soon as I sit down), and that's probably the real game to her, but it's not getting any of her energy out when she does that.
She also used to be really into pouncing on moving objects under things. That's why I have a ripple rug. Now she ignores any variation I try to play (rug, paper, blanket). Last night after posting I did discover she will still play with hair ties. But I'm terrified she will swallow them so I had taken them all away. I might see if I can just play with one and make sure to monitor her with it. That's the only thing she's been legitimately interested in in weeks.
Sounds like she's bored of the toys. Toy rotation is very important to reduce boredom. Especially with smarter cats 🙂 it's hard to have a cat who gets bored easily sometimes!

I monitor Calcifer with hair elastics. He loves them. He doesn't pick them up too much. Mostly just bats them around.

I found recycled fur toys from Etsy was very helpful. It's the only thing Magnus will play with consistently. Then we tried a few Dharma cat toys when they went on sale and those are a huge hit. Mostly their little aliens and fish.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has been out of commission several times. Twice with the cone with anal gland issues, and a couple of times with a muscle pull in her leg. Completely unable to play except for batting at things with her paws.

When she’s not feeling well, I have given her my old tablet and put on YouTube videos of Tom and Jerry. She will watch these for twenty minutes or so before falling asleep. 😂