At-home euthanasia... your experiences?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still spiraling at the thought that Kabuto may need to be euthanized.

I do have a very strong connection with animals in genneral but Kabuto is different. Its almost telepathic the connection I have with him.

His body looks so thin and scrawny now but I look into his eyes and they tell me that he is not ready yet. But his body is breaking down. I just feel it would be wrong to consider it right now. I would like him to just pass on his own.

It hurts me to see him this way but it would hurt me even more to prematurly end his life.

Again sorry I just need to get my head cleared i guess.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's how I think... Humans domesticated animals to be pets for their own pleasure and comfort. That means it's up to the human to ensure that their pets are treated with respect, even in death.

I believe it is immoral to allow a sick animal to suffer. The right thing to do is to give the animal a dignified end, even if it makes us sad.

All life is sacred but all lives must come to an end, whether we like it or not. I always applaud people who have the strength to put their own grief aside and allow their pets to end their lives with dignity and grace.

I didn't get to be with my father when he died and that's one of the biggest regrets of my life. You have the chance to hug your cat and tell him that you love him before he crosses over. There is no greater gift than to be able to tell someone or a beloved pet, "I love you."

That's something I'll never have the chance to do, again, but you do.

My advice is to take it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you! :heartshape: 🙏

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Euthanasia is something which I think is a blessing for our loves..
For Pumpkin and for Artie, I took each into the Vet... Each one was completely different as it was different vets and many years in-between. Things change. With Pumpkin, she was already hospitalized. The Vets found so. many issues. The Vet was the one that it was really not right to extend her life any longer.

Artie was a devil at the Vets. I knew the time was arriving, and waited.. yet I still had doubts, afterward.. Not going into long details; his life revolved around medications, daily IV fluids, rushing into the Vets for enemas, being extremely fussy with food; Me, running around trying every food under the sun, so that he would eat... yet, he did not.. The last day, I had literally 5 plates out for breakfast, for him. He could not poop.. I was a wreck. I did not want to give up; yet, I knew it was time. He had so many medical issues at that point.

I took him into the Vets. The have a fairly good way of doing things. A separate entrance and exit. A special room with a sofa, loveseat, table, large window, bathroom. It was very peaceful..
The drive in was horrible. Artie screamed the entire way. I had some else drive, I was in the back trying to calm Artie down, while I was streaming tears.. The ride home, was just tears... and more tears later when I arrived home.

I really do not know if I want to do this to Geoffrey, when the time comes. Geoffrey is so terrified of his being closed in his carrier. He uses it as a bed. Once the door closes, he screams.. a pitiful yell.. so loud. Once in the car; he panics, withdraws, and remains quiet until he comes home. He is terrified. He shuts down.. hence he is a great cat for the Vet to examine.

If I were to euthanize him at home, that would be a stranger entering in his home. He runs each time the door bell rings, someone knocks, or comes in with me. He is desperately afraid of people .. Would it be worse for him, to have it done at home?? I would have to drag him out from under my bed.. he would be frightened. I am not sure.. He would withdraw, yet try to get away...

One thing I remember about my mom's passing at home. The spot where her hospital bed was where the sofa normally was. It took me the longest time to sit on that sofa.. and to lie down on it.. I kept picturing things.. the last moments.
Will I do that with Geoffrey. if I have the Vet come to the house??? Most likely. The apartment is tiny, and I have no place to go, to get away from that area. It will always be a reminder.

My cousin had his dog euthanized in their back yard, under a tree. He used the Lap of Love. He said they were excellent. I think that would be the way I would go, IF I were to do it at home... not sure what I will do, when the time comes. Since Geoffrey has SCL, It is always int eh back of my mind..

cmshap cmshap Whatever and whenever you decide.. know that it is a loving thing to do.. to end suffering.. to end a life totally dependent on medications in order to exist. You will know when the time is right.. but be prepared-- no matter when or what you choose, You will always have some degree of doubts. Was it too soon? Was he ok with it? Just know that you have stopped suffering, and pain..
The doubts you feel will be those of human doubts.. and normal... You will make the best decision for both your baby and yourself.
Cats hide pain so easily. They react differently to it than we do.. they live completely in the moment. Know that you have love in your heart for what ever happens.. Never doubt yourself and your decision.

((Hugs)))

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Euthanasia is something which I think is a blessing for our loves..
For Pumpkin and for Artie, I took each into the Vet... Each one was completely different as it was different vets and many years in-between. Things change. With Pumpkin, she was already hospitalized. The Vets found so. many issues. The Vet was the one that it was really not right to extend her life any longer.

Artie was a devil at the Vets. I knew the time was arriving, and waited.. yet I still had doubts, afterward.. Not going into long details; his life revolved around medications, daily IV fluids, rushing into the Vets for enemas, being extremely fussy with food; Me, running around trying every food under the sun, so that he would eat... yet, he did not.. The last day, I had literally 5 plates out for breakfast, for him. He could not poop.. I was a wreck. I did not want to give up; yet, I knew it was time. He had so many medical issues at that point.

I took him into the Vets. The have a fairly good way of doing things. A separate entrance and exit. A special room with a sofa, loveseat, table, large window, bathroom. It was very peaceful..
The drive in was horrible. Artie screamed the entire way. I had some else drive, I was in the back trying to calm Artie down, while I was streaming tears.. The ride home, was just tears... and more tears later when I arrived home.

I really do not know if I want to do this to Geoffrey, when the time comes. Geoffrey is so terrified of his being closed in his carrier. He uses it as a bed. Once the door closes, he screams.. a pitiful yell.. so loud. Once in the car; he panics, withdraws, and remains quiet until he comes home. He is terrified. He shuts down.. hence he is a great cat for the Vet to examine.

If I were to euthanize him at home, that would be a stranger entering in his home. He runs each time the door bell rings, someone knocks, or comes in with me. He is desperately afraid of people .. Would it be worse for him, to have it done at home?? I would have to drag him out from under my bed.. he would be frightened. I am not sure.. He would withdraw, yet try to get away...

One thing I remember about my mom's passing at home. The spot where her hospital bed was where the sofa normally was. It took me the longest time to sit on that sofa.. and to lie down on it.. I kept picturing things.. the last moments.
Will I do that with Geoffrey. if I have the Vet come to the house??? Most likely. The apartment is tiny, and I have no place to go, to get away from that area. It will always be a reminder.

My cousin had his dog euthanized in their back yard, under a tree. He used the Lap of Love. He said they were excellent. I think that would be the way I would go, IF I were to do it at home... not sure what I will do, when the time comes. Since Geoffrey has SCL, It is always int eh back of my mind..

cmshap cmshap Whatever and whenever you decide.. know that it is a loving thing to do.. to end suffering.. to end a life totally dependent on medications in order to exist. You will know when the time is right.. but be prepared-- no matter when or what you choose, You will always have some degree of doubts. Was it too soon? Was he ok with it? Just know that you have stopped suffering, and pain..
The doubts you feel will be those of human doubts.. and normal... You will make the best decision for both your baby and yourself.
Cats hide pain so easily. They react differently to it than we do.. they live completely in the moment. Know that you have love in your heart for what ever happens.. Never doubt yourself and your decision.

((Hugs)))
Beautifully said artiemom artiemom ...
And as far as the doubts, I've had it both ways. I still look at the last videos I took of Tag sometimes. I know in my mind and heart, I waited too long. He was suffering. He was struggling, and was no longer eating. He was unable to take joy in anything because he was suffering, and I hate myself for it. But the little part of my heart that is stubborn, still says "why didn't you try xyz?" and makes me feel horribly guilty. Even though we know we did the a huge service in not prolonging their suffering and sparing them a horrible, terrifying end, our loyalty to them sometimes makes us forget things over time. Which is why I didn't immediately delete those videos of Tag I took, even though I kind of wanted to. I'm glad I didn't. I need that reminder sometimes.
Goofy's actual (natural) passing was very peaceful. But, what lead up to it was a lot of heartache for us both and a lot of stress. If he was in pain he didn't show it, but, I do think he was sapped of all of his life force. He had no energy. He didn't want to do anything. He no longer followed me around the house, or hunkered down to scratch at the rug, or joined us at the dinner table asking for a little tidbit. He didn't jump up on the coffee table anymore to block my view of the TV so he could show off how handsome he was. I am glad his actual passing was in his sleep. My loyalty to him wanted him to pass at home, either naturally or with the vets help. But that little part of my heart that is stubborn still wakes me up saying "why did you wait? Don't you know cats hide their pain? Why did you even do the feeding tube when the vet told you what she found?"
I guess my point is, people who take cat ownership to the next level (no such thing as "just a cat") are always going to second guess everything regarding their care, especially in situations like Willy's. It can be very agonizing and foster a very, very lonely feeling. As much as I wouldn't wish the pain of the loss of such a wonderful friend and teacher that our beloved pets are, it does help knowing other people really understand that feeling that can't quite be explained.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess my point is, people who take cat ownership to the next level (no such thing as "just a cat") are always going to second guess everything regarding their care, especially in situations like Willy's. It can be very agonizing and foster a very, very lonely feeling. As much as I wouldn't wish the pain of the loss of such a wonderful friend and teacher that our beloved pets are, it does help knowing other people really understand that feeling that can't quite be explained.
Exactly. We're more than likely to think we did it wrong whatever course we took. All we can do is (hopefully) learn. I would never have let Katie pass the way she did if I'd known what to look for with extremely rapid, aggressive liver cancer, or the symptoms of heart failure. When it was Maddie's turn three years ago, she was misdiagnosed at first - the vet thought it was IBD. Treatment for that didn't work, and they did more tests and found she also had cancer, and that all she could have was palliative care. But that wasn't any good either. She fought against any sort of medication - frothing at the mouth level fighting - and couldn't keep it, or anything else, down. It didn't take me long to decide it was cruel to put her through any more.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have days like today I really think its far too soon to consider anything. I was cleaning out the cat toys and Kabuto was there with me the whole time playing taking several breaks to drink or rest. Its funny, his soul is deffinatly still there but his body seems like it just can't keep up anymore. He seems to be still bright and even downright silly at times.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I needed to say goodbye to one of my cat last year in December. It all happened in matter of 5 days (found out she had heart condition - had cardiac event - left me at home with Dr's help). Our experience was very positive but I know we've been so lucky to have Dr. who's been coming to see us at home last 3 years, i.e. seeing Dr. at home is nothing unusual for my kitties. It did not leave me bad memory.

It sounds like you already found possible options, but I thought posting 3 links I found in below (our Dr. is a member of 1st link);

https://community.iaahpc.org/search/custom.asp?id=5952

House Call Vets Directory - Find House Call Vets - House Call Vet Directory

Home | In-Home Pet Euthanasia Directory

Me and my kitty (on left side) are sending :hearthrob::hearthrob: to both you and Willy - have lots of cuddle, tummy rub and chin scratches! :vibes::vibes:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I needed to say goodbye to one of my cat last year in December. It all happened in matter of 5 days (found out she had heart condition - had cardiac event - left me at home with Dr's help). Our experience was very positive but I know we've been so lucky to have Dr. who's been coming to see us at home last 3 years, i.e. seeing Dr. at home is nothing unusual for my kitties. It did not leave me bad memory.

It sounds like you already found possible options, but I thought posting 3 links I found in below (our Dr. is a member of 1st link);

https://community.iaahpc.org/search/custom.asp?id=5952

House Call Vets Directory - Find House Call Vets - House Call Vet Directory

Home | In-Home Pet Euthanasia Directory

Me and my kitty (on left side) are sending :hearthrob::hearthrob: to both you and Willy - have lots of cuddle, tummy rub and chin scratches! :vibes::vibes:
Kabuto has CHD (congestive heart disease) I don't know for sure which side it is as i didn't have the mri done they suspect left side though based on his symptoms (coughing, reverse sneezing, grade 3 murmer).
He also is hyperthyroid

so far he has lost most of his muscle mass but can still jump and do stairs fine he tires much easier now probably from his heart.

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all my deepest sympathies to you and Willy, I lost both precious and smeagol to cancer last year. It’s a horrible disease.

I chose in home euthanasia for Smeagol and the vet for Precious. The decisions were based on a couple of different factors but primarily it was down to personality.

Smeagols home was his castle and he was like a guard dog and would approach and menace any visitors to the house just to make sure they knew it was his house. He didn’t like people really, just me, but nor was he afraid of them. I agonised in the weeks prior to his death about that last vet trip, I just didn’t know how I was going to do it. So I google at home services. We found one relatively easily. It was £250 I believe, we called on the Tuesday afternoon, they came the following day at 1pm. That morning was the longest of my life, not because Smeagol was going to be leaving us but because I knew he was ready to go. Smeagol strode straight up to the vet when he arrived, but his abdomen was distended by the tumour that he couldn’t move his bowels properly, and couldn’t really eat. He was alert, but his purr was no longer his purr it was a rattle and he was drooling slightly. The vet reassured us that we werent being too hasty and that within hours Smeagol was going to begin to suffer greatly. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be strong enough to watch the administration of the injections but I stayed with him, he tried to walk off the first sedative but I scooped him into a blanket where I reassured him that it was ok to go now that he could rest, he drifted off quickly and the final injection was given. Smeagol passed in his favourite blanket and I sat with him a while before we wrapped him in the blanket and buried him.
The process was over quickly and the vet was wonderful, he said it was unusual for people to keep the pets body and offered to take him but I was determined to bury my boy. At home was the right choice for Smeagol.

With Precious, she would hide if strangers came to the house, I always knew that at home wasn’t an option. She would’ve found a way to hide now matter how sick she became and we wouldn’t have been able to get to her. When the day came to take her into the vet, she didn’t even put up a struggle to go into the carrier, she was tired at that point, again her purr had changed, I don’t know if that’s a thing with all cats when they get this sick but it was a big sign with my two. I’d had to start almost liquidising her food because swallowing had begun to get difficult because her tumour was in her throat, it was time and she let us know. The vet examined her and again assured us that this was now only going to go down hill and quickly. They took precious through a little door to shave her paw and then brought her back where we talked to her whilst the first injection was administered. The vet then asked if we were ready and we agreed, and just like that, she was gone. We brought her home and placed her into the ground next to Smeagol, in the sunniest spot in the garden. I believe it was £150 for the in vet euthanasia.

There is no feeling on earth like watching the life leave your beloved companions body, it honestly nearly broke me, going through it twice so quickly. But the only regret I have is that they are no longer here, I miss them terribly but I don’t regret anything I did when it comes to the end of their lives.

I did what I believed was right for each one of them as an individual and I believe I made the right choice for each of them based on their individual circumstances.

You’ll make the right choice for you and for Willy, I’m sorry that you are having to make these decisions. It’s never easy, and you have my deepest sympathy. I hope that whichever path you choose that it’s one you don’t have to walk for quite some time yet.

sorry for the long post I just wanted to explain how I came to the two different decisions

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had it done at home twice, and I am happy I did.

Was your cat more comfortable being at home, or was it still just as stressful, given that a stranger is coming into your home and sticking them with needles?
In my two cases, my cats were close to unresponsive at that stage, and I don't think they bothered if a stranger was invading their home

Was it a lot more expensive than doing it at your local vet?
Same price.

Did the at-home euthasia instill any kind of bad memory that you associate with your home, after the fact? I was told that this can be an issue with some people.
This was what scared me at first, that I could associate the spot where the euthanasia was performed with this sad event even in the future, but it didn't happen.

If you had it done at home, and had a "good" experience (I guess I mean, you are glad you had it done at home vs. otherwise), how did you find the service that does it? My local vet used to offer this, but after she sold the practice to a new owner, they no longer offer it. So I'd be looking for a service from scratch.
The first time I had to resort to such a service, I just phoned one of the practices in the area, and they sent a vet over. I didn't know him, but he was extremely professional and all went smoothly.
The second time I needed to have this thing done, I was waiting for the right moment, so I was prepared, and I discussed the thing with the clinic and arranged it as I wished it was done. I even prepared a list of vets' name that would have been allowed to do that, five names in a preference order. When the time came, three months later, I called the clinic and they sent me one of the doctors available at the time, he was the fourth one in the list. He was very kind and professional, and understanding too.

I'm so sorry you are going to such a terrible moment, I know what it means.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One good thing about euthanasia at home is that you have more control over the situation.

If you want to do it in a certain place in the house, you can. Maybe you want to make a nice bed for your cat, play some nice music, say a prayer or light a candle. You can do whatever you want. (Within reason.)

I like the idea of burning a candle. I've seen it done before...

Find a nice candle that looks nice. On the appointed day, light it and put it in a place of honor. When the "ceremony" is over, blow it out and never light it again.

"The candle burned out long before your legend ever did."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use candles. Kabuto's nose has become extremly sensitive and i just don't like the idea of fire around cats.
I'm already careful of this, because Willy had lifelong chronic respiratory issues, and things like candles, or litter that was too dusty, always made him sneeze.

But, I'm not that sentimental to want to do any kind of ceremony like what Caspers Human Caspers Human suggests, anyway (although I don't look down on anyone wanting to do such a thing, or bring religion into it).

I'd just want it to be on his favorite chair, maybe on my lap, where smells and sensations are most familiar. Or, just let him choose where to go. I know I can't totally predict how he would handle the situation.

He's a little afraid of strangers but only for 5 minutes, then he's up in their laps... but thats when he's feeling well. If he's feeling really sick, I don't know how that would affect his approach to a stranger in our home.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One good thing about euthanasia at home is that you have more control over the situation.

If you want to do it in a certain place in the house, you can. Maybe you want to make a nice bed for your cat, play some nice music, say a prayer or light a candle. You can do whatever you want. (Within reason.)

I like the idea of burning a candle. I've seen it done before...

Find a nice candle that looks nice. On the appointed day, light it and put it in a place of honor. When the "ceremony" is over, blow it out and never light it again.

"The candle burned out long before your legend ever did."
The vet asked me if I wanted to light a candle for Tag, and I did. I let it burn until exactly midnight and then blew it out. It's on the table next to the chair he liked so much, and hasn't been lit since. It's always a personal thing, but this type of thing does help me.
What's cool is the vet is a very good singer, and asked my permission before singing Amazing Grace to him once he had passed. It still brings a tear to my eye even as I type this. She also burned sage. I'll say until the day I die, he had the send off of a King.
Tag passed away the night Queen Elizabeth II's passing coverage was on. As it was playing, the announcer said "a procession fit for royalty", and Tag's candle flame didn't just flicker faster, that thing LEAPT around. It was really cool, IMO.
The place he passed was chosen by me. It didn't "bother" me, but, I did find myself kind of stepping around it. I found a little wall hanging that says "we are all just walking each other home." I hung it over that spot. Again, it's a very personal choice and preference but I look at that often, because IMO that's what this life is all about.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an alternate suggestion for those wanting candles without scent, AND safety around cats: I have a flameless candle. It comes with scented oil, which I've used up and never reordered because I don't like the strong, fake scents and I know cats don't, either. It's battery operated and comes in a frosted glass holder. I use it a lot, not for ceremonies, but just because I like the ambiance.

I'm John

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a massive thread going about my cat's battle with large-cell lymphoma, and it is starting to look like he has a particularly drug-resisgant case that is not responding to treatment anymore.

I won't go too far into the particulars (please participate in my thread, linked above, if you want to contribute anything), but I am seriously starting to figure out a plan for euthanasia when the time comes.

Have any if you had it done at home? I'm curious about a few factors...
  1. If you did it this way, are you glad that you did?
  2. Was your cat more comfortable being at home, or was it still just as stressful, given that a stranger is coming into your home and sticking them with needles?
  3. Was it a lot more expensive than doing it at your local vet?
  4. Did the at-home euthanasia instill any kind of bad memory that you associate with your home, after the fact? I was told that this can be an issue with some people.
  5. If you had it done at home, and had a "good" experience (I guess I mean, you are glad you had it done at home vs. otherwise), how did you find the service that does it? My local vet used to offer this, but after she sold the practice to a new owner, they no longer offer it. So I'd be looking for a service from scratch.
If anybody is willing to share their thoughts about this, I would be very grateful.
1. I was not glad at all, but I think it was the best solution I knew.
2. He was unaware until the first shot started taking effect, then he started panicking and it was uncomfortable for him. However, there was less discomfort than if I had to drive him somewhere.
3. It was not that expensive for me. And I would have paid a million and more to give him the least painful death.
4. I don't know why you mentioned that it can be an issue with some people? What's the issue? Anyways, yes, there were a few moments where my vet was not doing perfectly well and my cat also did not respond well to the anesthetics.
5. I am sorry to say, but I suppose it rarely goes as planned. There's many people here who have lost a cat or a dog and it's never perfect. The best you can do is do a google research and see if their website says that they do it. There is a vet in a nearby city that goes to homes and does this and she wrote a whole page on her website about how she helps animals go over the rainbow bridge. Other vets don't seem to give it as much attention. I would also look on online reviews. And make your own opinion about the person - give him/her a call, see what's his attitude etc.

To summarize, I knew that his condition is becoming worse every hour so I decided to do something about it. The vet again was far from perfect but it was the only vet I had. I think she knew she could have done better because we somewhat met in the city later and I could feel it. I did not expect that my cat would have a reaction to the anesthetics, but even if I expected it, it would still be very painful to see. Either way, driving him to the vet would have been extremely stressful for him. I'm glad we could have done it at home.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an alternate suggestion for those wanting candles without scent, AND safety around cats: I have a flameless candle. It comes with scented oil, which I've used up and never reordered because I don't like the strong, fake scents and I know cats don't, either. It's battery operated and comes in a frosted glass holder. I use it a lot, not for ceremonies, but just because I like the ambiance.
I have a luminara with a butterfly on the front. Maybe I can use that for Kabuto.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm John I'm John I empathize with every word you say. There have been many goodbyes in my life, running the gamut from natural to easy/assisted to more difficult/assisted. It's never "easy." But bottom line, I agree with any-and-everyone who puts their loved one first, and does not want them to have unneccessary pain/terrible quality of existence (which is not "life" any longer).
IndyJones IndyJones That would be so lovely. As I'm sure you know, the butterfly is a symbol for many of us, of renewal/rebirth/ascension. And I for one am deeply spiritual, in the knowledge (from personal experience) that the soul is eternal and that it certainly does ascend the worn-out home we have been given during our earthly existence. It is not "death" but transcendance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've gotten a lot of amazing feedback. I haven't handled the situation of euthansia at home, but this video, by a person who is an actual mortician, talks about at-home euthanasia and her cat;

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who has written about their experiences, and/or thoughts about this topic.

I am very inclined to have this done at home, based on reading everyone's posts. My biggest problem right now is having to decide when.

I've been talking to both my general vet and veterinary oncologist about this (both of whom I think are great), and they have given me good advice. But the ultimate decision comes down to me. And that is a rough decision to have to make.

I brought this up when I started this thread, but the medical details surrounding this decision will be documented/discussed in my thread about Willy's cancer.