Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was a lot better with his food today. Last night he ate 1/2 can plus 1/4 cup of dry.
Today, it has been 1/2 can and 1/4 cup dry.

He has not pooped. Artie is still in his tent.

The weather has been horrible. Foggy, damp, cool,--yuck. I can understand why he would be in achey pain.

He wanted to be brushed yesterday and today. Today, it finally dawned on me, he has arthritis in his lower spine, along his tail also.

I tried to gently brush his lower back, along the pelvic bones, and down to his tail. He did not like that.. did not growl, just walked away. But he came back for more brushing. Each time I touched that area, he walked away... so it is arthritis.. poor baby... wish I could give him a quick fix for that...

He is limping a tad bit more today, also..

His quilt is very warm. I have it folded up, he crawls in-between the folds..and it is warm in there.

He really needs to poop. I am not going to worry.

I also found a couple more boxes... actually cases of food.. I put them in a couple more areas for his accessibility.. Artie is using them to go up, but sometimes he just jumps down...I cringe when I see that... but, he knows his body...

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 It is not quite so much my device, as it is my poor typing skills along with my not proofreading what I type.. It is just fresh off my mind.. that is why I ramble so much.:crazy: oops, almost left in 14 cup dry!!!
Well, it makes me laugh and there's nothing wrong with that! Your typing is usually perfect, which is why I noticed.
I have these pretty leopard-print faux fur bed mats that contain something inside that conducts the cat's own body heat back up to warm him or her. I got them at Drs. Foster & Smith. They are great because I don't want any electric stuff around cats and these are completely safe for them to lay on. Not expensive, either.
Wishing you both a good evening and for Artie to feel better and EAT!!!;):lovecat2:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each time I touched that area, he walked away... so it is arthritis.. poor baby... wish I could give him a quick fix for that...
:yeah: We all do.

I wish I believed this. It's a fine resolution but I know you, Cindy. You're going to worry.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 It is not quite so much my device, as it is my poor typing skills along with my not proofreading what I type.. It is just fresh off my mind.. that is why I ramble so much.:crazy: oops, almost left in 14 cup dry!!!
:crackup:Among computer geeks this is referred to as "a bug in the wetware."

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have these pretty leopard-print faux fur bed mats that contain something inside that conducts the cat's own body heat back up to warm him or her. I got them at Drs. Foster & Smith. They are great because I don't want any electric stuff around cats and these are completely safe for them to lay on. Not expensive, either.
Probably aluminized Mylar, the stuff they use in those "Space Blankets" (or whatever they're calling them nowadays -- the silvery plastic that folds up to pocket sized but is useful in an emergency). It does an excellent job of reflecting heat.

Margret

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was a lot better with his food today. Last night he ate 1/2 can plus 1/4 cup of dry.
Today, it has been 1/2 can and 1/4 cup dry.

He has not pooped. Artie is still in his tent.

The weather has been horrible. Foggy, damp, cool,--yuck. I can understand why he would be in achey pain.

He wanted to be brushed yesterday and today. Today, it finally dawned on me, he has arthritis in his lower spine, along his tail also.

I tried to gently brush his lower back, along the pelvic bones, and down to his tail. He did not like that.. did not growl, just walked away. But he came back for more brushing. Each time I touched that area, he walked away... so it is arthritis.. poor baby... wish I could give him a quick fix for that...

He is limping a tad bit more today, also..

His quilt is very warm. I have it folded up, he crawls in-between the folds..and it is warm in there.

I also found a couple more boxes... actually cases of food.. I put them in a couple more areas for his accessibility.. Artie is using them to go up, but sometimes he just jumps down...I cringe when I see that... but, he knows his body...

:grouphug: Even though his quilt is cozy some extra heat might help :grouphug2: :vibes::vibes:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably aluminized Mylar, the stuff they use in those "Space Blankets" (or whatever they're calling them nowadays -- the silvery plastic that folds up to pocket sized but is useful in an emergency). It does an excellent job of reflecting heat.

Margret
YES,! One of those survival blankets! They can sometimes be picked up fairly cheaply.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie ate really good yesterday, and pooped!! told you I was not going to worry.. it was still early enough for him to poop!

I put a couple additional smaller boxes adjacent to the large box I had for his stair to my bed. He immediately took to it. He cuddled all night. If he was not cuddling, he was sleeping on the large box. Do not know if he is hurting or is feeling my anxiety about the dentist. He only cuddles, in bed, when either is happening.

I was woken up to his, "tap, tap, tap" and quiet meow for food... sweet boy. While he initially refused his breakfast, he did eat it, later.... He is not looking for a brushing, and I will not push it.

I did get a present when I woke up... Artie did pee a huge clump. After scooping this, he went back in to poop!! 5 x 1 inch... good boy..He was waiting for me to get up, so he could poop.. this cat is amazing..so smart.

Artie tried to run a bit this morning. He could only take a few steps, limping was too much, so he stopped. I felt so bad for him. He must be hurting.
I reported this to NVet. At least he will be aware of it for when we see him, in October.

Another gross day outside. Damp, cool, humid,~~ just plain gross. It is going to be a bad week, weather wise.. sigh...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I still had my Lola and she had arthritis I spent hours looking for some foam mattress that could support her without giving her pain in her joints. I know there are for humans, I thought there were for pets too. Either I used the wrong keywords or they do not exist.
For the heat, though, I bought a kind of a plastic disk filled with some kind of special gel. You put it into your microwave at full power for 5 minutes and it stays warm for 8 hours. I would put it under her bedding at night and the early morning. Lola was really happy with it in her last months :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I got some foam pads for my pumpkin and she refuses to step on them-my honey says let them sit for a month-until they smell like the house...cats! I covered the one in her bed with a towel we had laying on the chair-nope she wont use it. I may have to put it under the house-it's a clothe pet house and she loves sleeping in it on cold nights. Then I got another one for her in the library and nope she won't lay on it. I put a sweatshirt on it this morning-sometimes you have to let things smell like our home before they will use it. I just typed in ortho pad cat in google. I used chewy.com.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie ate really good yesterday, and pooped!! told you I was not going to worry.. it was still early enough for him to poop!

I put a couple additional smaller boxes adjacent to the large box I had for his stair to my bed. He immediately took to it. He cuddled all night. If he was not cuddling, he was sleeping on the large box. Do not know if he is hurting or is feeling my anxiety about the dentist. He only cuddles, in bed, when either is happening.

I was woken up to his, "tap, tap, tap" and quiet meow for food... sweet boy. While he initially refused his breakfast, he did eat it, later.... He is not looking for a brushing, and I will not push it.

I did get a present when I woke up... Artie did pee a huge clump. After scooping this, he went back in to poop!! 5 x 1 inch... good boy..He was waiting for me to get up, so he could poop.. this cat is amazing..so smart.

Artie tried to run a bit this morning. He could only take a few steps, limping was too much, so he stopped. I felt so bad for him. He must be hurting.
I reported this to NVet. At least he will be aware of it for when we see him, in October.

Another gross day outside. Damp, cool, humid,~~ just plain gross. It is going to be a bad week, weather wise.. sigh...
Awww, Artie! What a sweet little man he is!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I still had my Lola and she had arthritis I spent hours looking for some foam mattress that could support her without giving her pain in her joints. I know there are for humans, I thought there were for pets too. Either I used the wrong keywords or they do not exist.
For the heat, though, I bought a kind of a plastic disk filled with some kind of special gel. You put it into your microwave at full power for 5 minutes and it stays warm for 8 hours. I would put it under her bedding at night and the early morning. Lola was really happy with it in her last months :)
That sounds amazing -- 8 hours! We have a couple of microwaveable things but they don't stay warm for anything like that.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I did have a couple of the orthopedic, warmed by body heat, beds. Artie would only try them out once.. for a few minutes, then they were sitting in the corners of my bedroom and the great room. He just flat out refuses beds.

I have a pillow bed for him. It is really a nice soft pillow, which is encased in fleece. He loved it at first. Now, it is sitting in the corner, being ignored. He still prefers his quilt/tent.

He is not a bed person. I am really surprised about the pillow/bed. I think I may try washing it, to see if perhaps it got some poop or something on it??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a broken ceramic bowl that I've been wanting to fix, so I've been looking for food safe adhesives for it. Gorilla Glue was one of the first that I checked out, and it specifically states that it's not food safe. Trust me, if it's not safe for a bowl it's not safe for your mouth.

Worse, because of the nature of bridges (which attach directly to teeth) anything you would use as adhesive for a home repair has to be safe, in your mouth, while it's drying/curing. :eek: I think I saw some kind of temporary dental adhesive at Walgreens many, many years ago, but I don't remember the name and it isn't there now.

Margret
I did find this, to both the above and the first paragraph below, as well:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/D-O-C-Re...9851&wl11=online&wl12=877062425&wl13=&veh=sem

You can buy dental cement from Amazon. I have a pack of it...

A heated pet bed might help keep Artie's joints comfortable. Or a Snuggle Safe pad.
That's what Hekitty is getting for Christmas. I'm thinking, as much as she loves the electric blanket, that she'll use it. It may well end up living on my bed.

SO glad that Artie is feeling up to eating, and is pooping again. I know his poor little back hurts. I know this because of my own arthritis. I'm hoping that you and NVet can put your heads together and come up with a plan to ease him through the coming cold weather.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Snuggle Safe pads stay warm 12+ hours. I put the pads in their covers and then tucked under a fleece blanket on the sofa which probably helps retain heat. I admit that I have taken a Snuggle Safe and used it to warm the bed on cold winter nights or as a heating pad on sore achy parts of my body:paperbag:

Amazon and many pet supply web sites sell the Snuggle safe. I bought mine years ago at a pet store. It looks like the inctructions that are printed right on the pad has changed to a simpler form:

My old ones are more detailed:

IMG_4708.jpg

Always follow the heating instructions and times and know what your microwave wattage is to avoid overheating the pad.

I wonder if you could put Artie's fleece blankie into the tent and slip a SnuffleSafe under it, maybe in a corner so Artie can choose if he wants to lie on it or not?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit that I have taken a Snuggle Safe and used it to warm the bed on cold winter nights or as a heating pad on sore achy parts of my body:paperbag:
I see no reason why you should feel ashamed of this; if it works for a pet it should work for you. The only reason we'd hesitate to let our cats use our own heating pads is that they might be dangerous; why should we hesitate to use their heating pads? If you're worried that you're depriving your cat by using it for yourself that just means that you need more of them.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.