Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kept saying, in the politest tone of voice I could manage, "You know, I have good veins in my wrists," which I do, even dehydrated, and she kept ignoring me while I bit my tongue and didn't scream. Finally she looked up, saw my face, went white as a sheet, and said, "I'm going to go get an expert to do this." Sure enough, the charge nurse came in, took one look at my arms, and put the IV in my wrist. It was a great relief, both because it meant I could get hydrated again and because it meant they could put some Demerol in the IV (I was in the middle of an acute gall bladder attack at the time). And the invisibility of the veins in my elbows doesn't change with my weight; at this time I was 5'4" tall and weighed about 100 pounds soaking wet. I've never been able to understand why people prefer to take the pulse at the elbow; it's extremely difficult to find in my elbow, but actually visible in my wrist.

Margret
Same here, and the veins in my hands stand out like cord wood. I guess procedure MUST be followed.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the opposite, I have a vein everyone loves in my elbow. It always bulges, they don't have to use a tourniquet to find it. I've had so many draws there I actually have a decent amount of "needle tracks" scarring. Hope a police officer doesn't look at that arm, lol.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of pain receptors there. Shadow didn't move in the slightest with the sub-q needle insert, though she hated holding still that long. I cut off fur so I could feel the fluid and even as weak as she was she still communicated her dislike of grooming. So she literally must not have felt the tenting or the needle.

I had to give shots to a hamster, that needle went in the exact same place, so maybe most animals don't feel a lot there. However humans aren't so lucky, I can fully vouch for that since I have a tattoo on my upper back.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, and the veins in my hands stand out like cord wood. I guess procedure MUST be followed.
Actually, I really do think it was inexperience. I'm sure when she went to get the charge nurse she thought the charge nurse would have some marvelous trick for finding that vein. I hope she learned that, sometimes, the obvious solution is the best solution. Also, that patients know their own bodies best.

Unfortunately, we're getting off-topic here, which was never my intention. I will say, however, on the original topic, that I can't imagine that a huge bolus of fluid just under the skin would be anything but painful to a human, while it works just fine for cats, because their skin is arranged differently. And it's been explained to me, but I still don't understand how that kind of looseness works. It seems totally counter-intuitive to me.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yup! This is true of anyone who eats meat and animal products.
Although having worked and shared a restroom with a Vegan coworker, I can attest to the fact that methane is no better at all.

Poor Artie, human won't free-feed, and what's a cat to do? LOOK, My Dear Boy, your person is doing what is best for you, and you need to co operate with the program! BTW, GOOD JOB on the poopies!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Artie's Army....:salute:
First off, I want to thank all of you.. I discovered Artie's 'Gift" this morning. I cannot correctly express how I am feeling: thankfulness, joy, embarrassment, happiness, and LOVE...:hearthrob::hearthrob: :grouphug2::redheartpump::redheartpump::hugs: :thanks: I am actually speechless. :rock:

I have never experienced anything like this, in my life. :itslove: Thank you....
I will write more, when I am more composed. I am just overwhelmed right now.

You guys are so kind and caring.. I love all of you...thank you again..
On to Artie. He is starting to reject his food. He is out right refusing his dry food..and is cutting down on the wet.

I had a long talk with him last night about this. I told him that if he does not eat this food, he will get a really bad boo-boo and have to have a lot of bad things done to him, and he may not be able to come back home.

I think he understood a bit of it; because he did eat a bit more as soon as I stopped talking to him.

Yesterday, he produced a 7.5 x 0.5 inch piece of poop, but nothing today.

I really messed up his sub-q's the past couple of days. I drenched him and the coach on Sunday. Monday, I was too busy, petting him- let the time go by, forgot about checking the line, and gave him a double dose... I immediately called the NVet's secretary, telling her that I think I killed him.. All I could think about was putting him in congestive heart failure, and having his kidneys get overloaded and fail.. She returned my call pretty much immediately, and told me that it was ok.. I gave him less yesterday, and back to the normal amount today.

Artie is acting normally.. actually, we are having a ton of conversations.. He is really back to talking to me a lot. I swear he has a ton of human qualities.

His latest habit is to awaken me every morning, between 4-5 am... not good.

This morning the building's fire alarm went off around 3AM... dam.. I finally got up, smelt for smoke, got dressed, went downstairs to see what was happening. I needed to know if I had to run upstairs and pack up Artie.
Turned out to be a faulty ceiling alarm in the hall.

Of course, Artie was up for the day! He wanted ME!! I went back to bed, not good enough for him. He was walking all over me.. finally, I drifted off a bit, only to turn around and get a face full of fur!! yes Fur.. and butt fur at that... Artie had decided to curl up on the adjacent pillow... crazy cat.

Today, I am not feeling well.. I am not sure what it is. I was cold yesterday and today. kind of hot and cold. I heard there is a really bad virus going around which leads to pneumonia.. After dealing with Artie this morning, I went back to bed for a few hours.. That is not like me.

Now I need to fight with him for his lactulose. and then take a shower.. I think it is going to be pizza for supper. Do not feel like making a salad. I can just take out the leftover slices from the freezer and reheat them.

Thanks again, love and kisses to all...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Artie's Army....:salute:
First off, I want to thank all of you.. I discovered Artie's 'Gift" this morning. I cannot correctly express how I am feeling: thankfulness, joy, embarrassment, happiness, and LOVE...:hearthrob::hearthrob: :grouphug2::redheartpump::redheartpump::hugs: :thanks: I am actually speechless. :rock:

I have never experienced anything like this, in my life. :itslove: Thank you....
I will write more, when I am more composed. I am just overwhelmed right now.

You guys are so kind and caring.. I love all of you...thank you again..
On to Artie. He is starting to reject his food. He is out right refusing his dry food..and is cutting down on the wet.

I had a long talk with him last night about this. I told him that if he does not eat this food, he will get a really bad boo-boo and have to have a lot of bad things done to him, and he may not be able to come back home.

I think he understood a bit of it; because he did eat a bit more as soon as I stopped talking to him.

Yesterday, he produced a 7.5 x 0.5 inch piece of poop, but nothing today.

I really messed up his sub-q's the past couple of days. I drenched him and the coach on Sunday. Monday, I was too busy, petting him- let the time go by, forgot about checking the line, and gave him a double dose... I immediately called the NVet's secretary, telling her that I think I killed him.. All I could think about was putting him in congestive heart failure, and having his kidneys get overloaded and fail.. She returned my call pretty much immediately, and told me that it was ok.. I gave him less yesterday, and back to the normal amount today.

Artie is acting normally.. actually, we are having a ton of conversations.. He is really back to talking to me a lot. I swear he has a ton of human qualities.

His latest habit is to awaken me every morning, between 4-5 am... not good.

This morning the building's fire alarm went off around 3AM... dam.. I finally got up, smelt for smoke, got dressed, went downstairs to see what was happening. I needed to know if I had to run upstairs and pack up Artie.
Turned out to be a faulty ceiling alarm in the hall.

Of course, Artie was up for the day! He wanted ME!! I went back to bed, not good enough for him. He was walking all over me.. finally, I drifted off a bit, only to turn around and get a face full of fur!! yes Fur.. and butt fur at that... Artie had decided to curl up on the adjacent pillow... crazy cat.

Today, I am not feeling well.. I am not sure what it is. I was cold yesterday and today. kind of hot and cold. I heard there is a really bad virus going around which leads to pneumonia.. After dealing with Artie this morning, I went back to bed for a few hours.. That is not like me.

Now I need to fight with him for his lactulose. and then take a shower.. I think it is going to be pizza for supper. Do not feel like making a salad. I can just take out the leftover slices from the freezer and reheat them.

Thanks again, love and kisses to all...
I remember when my hard-wired smoke alarm started yelling -- woke me up. Woke my neighbor upstairs up, too, and he called me to tell me to do something about it. I couldn't get it to shut up, so I asked him to come tear it out of the ceiling, which he did. Stupid alarm. In the Mojave, one of the alarms went off, again while I was sleeping. I had to get up and get a ladder out of the garage, all the way at the other end of the house, and disconnect it. Stupid alarm. I'm not a big fan of these at all, especially since they are always going off when NOTHING is wrong. :angrywoman:

Hope you feel better soon! and very glad that Artie is okay in spite of the Sub-Q incidents.;):cutecat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please take good care of yourself, it could be stress related or your immune system being slightly lower. Whatever it is pamper yourself and keep up those naps even if it means waking up to butt fur from Artie. :p We all dearly care about Artie and you. :hugs:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please take good care of yourself, it could be stress related or your immune system being slightly lower. Whatever it is pamper yourself and keep up those naps even if it means waking up to butt fur from Artie. :p We all dearly care about Artie and you. :hugs:
I second that. Much love to Cindy and sweet Artie. :hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
ok Artie's Army, time for a review!! Snap to it!!!!

Artie is fussing again with his food. The dry food is now completely being refused.. This afternoon, currently, the wet food is being refused. Here we go again....

I just picked up 10 cans of food this afternoon.. I do not know what happened..

Artie pooped 8 x 1 inches this morning, and 7 x 1 inches last night..

He is cutting back on his food. My gut is telling me that he is not emptied out completely...sigh..

I gave him a cyproheptadine yesterday afternoon.. it did work a bit.. but still refused all the dry food..

I gave him another dose of the cypro this morning...and just gave him some Cerenia, just in case. He is coming up to me, staring, crying at me, licking his lips.. it is kind of pitiful, but I have food out for him..and he is not eating it.. again...

I warned the NVet this morning this was in the process of happening. He has been slowing down with his food since late last week. But this afternoon is the worst.

His stool is pasty, like play-do... or just dough consistency. I think he needs more fiber.. but if he does not eat.. again... the vicious circle...

He is glued to me.. wherever I go, he does.. that is a sign from him that he does not feel well..He also cuddled last night..

He has also been burping a lot over the past few days. I mentioned that to the Secretary in today's update.. Monday and Yesterday, I told her to tell the NVEt to think of something else to do, because I could foresee this happening....

I plan to be home most of the day tomorrow, and this weekend. I need to clean.. I do feel a bit better, but shoulder is a bit achey.. I think it is weather related.. rain is coming..
back is achey also.

If anything changes, I will let you know..

Artie did eat just under 1/3 of a 6 oz can this morning.. and 1 1/4, 6 oz can yesterday.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok Artie's Army, time for a review!! Snap to it!!!!

Artie is fussing again with his food. The dry food is now completely being refused.. This afternoon, currently, the wet food is being refused. Here we go again....

I just picked up 10 cans of food this afternoon.. I do not know what happened..

Artie pooped 8 x 1 inches this morning, and 7 x 1 inches last night..

He is cutting back on his food. My gut is telling me that he is not emptied out completely...sigh..

I gave him a cyproheptadine yesterday afternoon.. it did work a bit.. but still refused all the dry food..

I gave him another dose of the cypro this morning...and just gave him some Cerenia, just in case. He is coming up to me, staring, crying at me, licking his lips.. it is kind of pitiful, but I have food out for him..and he is not eating it.. again...

I warned the NVet this morning this was in the process of happening. He has been slowing down with his food since late last week. But this afternoon is the worst.

His stool is pasty, like play-do... or just dough consistency. I think he needs more fiber.. but if he does not eat.. again... the vicious circle...

He is glued to me.. wherever I go, he does.. that is a sign from him that he does not feel well..He also cuddled last night..

He has also been burping a lot over the past few days. I mentioned that to the Secretary in today's update.. Monday and Yesterday, I told her to tell the NVEt to think of something else to do, because I could foresee this happening....

I plan to be home most of the day tomorrow, and this weekend. I need to clean.. I do feel a bit better, but shoulder is a bit achey.. I think it is weather related.. rain is coming..
back is achey also.

If anything changes, I will let you know..

Artie did eat just under 1/3 of a 6 oz can this morning.. and 1 1/4, 6 oz can yesterday.
Ups and downs...and then ups again, hopefully, very soon, Artie! I have a (human) friend who has issues of this type, too, and though I have a cast iron stomach and have never experienced these troubles, he is always having them. It can't be nice, something so basic causing problems! Hoping Artie's appetite improves again, quickly, and that you feel better as well! It'll be nice to have a weekend at home with the Main Man, yes? :D:cutecat:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Just at a guess from the name, Lactulose is lactose, taking advantage of the fact that cats are lactose intolerant and get the runs? If so, could you tempt him to drink milk or melt a little butter on his food for a little extra kick?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just at a guess from the name, Lactulose is lactose, taking advantage of the fact that cats are lactose intolerant and get the runs? If so, could you tempt him to drink milk or melt a little butter on his food for a little extra kick?
According to Wikipedia:
Lactulose is a non-absorbable sugar used in the treatment of constipation and hepatic encephalopathy. It is used by mouth for constipation and either by mouth or in the rectum for hepatic encephalopathy. It generally begins working after eight to twelve hours but may take up to two days to improve constipation.

Lactulose - Wikipedia
Burping? So there's some gas in his tummy. That generally happens when one does eat, or drink. It comes from swallowing air at the same time, and it can result in an uncomfortable feeling of fullness.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie Update for Friday Morning:
Artie was not eating at all yesterday. He flat out refuses his dry food. He was not eating the wet either. I told you guys that I gave him the cypro.. Well, that did not help.. It made him hungry, but he refused his food!! ugh!

This da## boy was following me around the house, getting into my feet, almost tripping me. He was all over me, looking for different food. If I sat down, he was either on my feet, or right up against my chair, staring at me, crying, licking his lips for new food!!
Mind you, I had a bowl of his food out, waiting for him to eat it!!

I finally gave up, and gave him a dose of Cerenia... waited another 2 hours.. He was still stuck like glue to me, begging for food..

It was after hours for the NVet sec, and not an emergency, so I sent an e-mail to Sec telling her what was going on.. turns out, NVet is out until Wed.. man, Artie really picks the times when NVEt is not on to get fussy.. I know he has a vet covering for him, who is up to date with Artie and his issues.. but it is not the same.

Finally, at around 6pm, Artie decided to begin eating.. ....

I had a nice long long talk with him. He was on my lap. I held on to both of his shoulders, he was looking right at me, and did not turn away, so I hope he understood.

I told him that he has to go eat nummies .. if he doesn't go num-num, and eat, then he will get a really big boo-boo. A boo-boo so bad that he will have to go the see the Doctor who will do some very bad things to him. He will be hurting..Things that may be so bad that he may not be able to come home and be with Cindy.. That he may have to go to the Rainbow Bridge.. really bad things. So he has to go have nummies.

Artie looked right at me, while I was telling him this. He looked so serious. He jumped down and went over to eat. He has been eating since then.

He cuddled with me all night. I was stretched out on the recliner, reading.. Try to read with a cat on your lap, kneading, and drooling..I was also listening to classical music. It was a really restful night. I fell asleep around 9:30pm, waking up at midnight.

I called and left an update with NVet, Artie pooped again.. I feel he needs some more fiber in his diet. I think the dry food provides a bit of fiber, but what can I do if he does not eat it.

He had 3 episodes of poops yesterday.. total of 11 inches.

He did a bit of poop this morning, upon wakening.. about 4 inches, pencil thin.

Artie did manage to eat just less than 1 1/3 cans of food yesterday... and a bit this morning. He is waiting for more food.

Also, Artie was cuddled up right next to me, all night long.. I woke up to him in the middle of the bed, up against my body... He does this when he does not feel well.. sigh

I got up really late for me, after 8 AM.. The stupid building alarm went off, just as I was sitting down to breakfast... false alarm again.. they have to get this thing fixed...

I have to get going. It is late, I need to take care of Artie, do my morning stuff and be out of the house for noontime Mass..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally, at around 6pm, Artie decided to begin eating.. ....
I know that Artie has several issues with his GI system, but could the heat have something to do in the matter?
Don't know how the temperature might be in your area, but the fact that Artie ate something at 6 pm, when usually it gets fresher, might give a hint.
I have the same issue over here with Pallina, when it's hot like today she eats fine in the morning until 10 am, then she doesn't touch her food until the late afternoon.

zygote

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may sound really obvious and maybe you have already ruled it out for a very good reason, but could you try the fiber response food again? It seems like he did well on that food and also this new one. Maybe you could switch back and forth as he gets tired of the food? Give him some variety within the foods that work well for him.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I know that Artie has several issues with his GI system, but could the heat have something to do in the matter?
Don't know how the temperature might be in your area, but the fact that Artie ate something at 6 pm, when usually it gets fresher, might give a hint.
I have the same issue over here with Pallina, when it's hot like today she eats fine in the morning until 10 am, then she doesn't touch her food until the late afternoon.
I have Central AC, so the heat is not an issue. I keep the temp usually around 73 F during the day and 72 at night; unless it is a very, very hot day.. then I turn the thermostat down.

This may sound really obvious and maybe you have already ruled it out for a very good reason, but could you try the fiber response food again? It seems like he did well on that food and also this new one. Maybe you could switch back and forth as he gets tired of the food? Give him some variety within the foods that work well for him.
I was thinking of doing that, but I am so afraid to throw him off all of his food. I think I will go over that with the NVet. He does not want me to hang anything, at all, as long as he is eating the food.

I came home to an empty food bowl. Artie has eaten 1/2 can so far.. good boy. Of course, it was with the help of the appetite med; but I will take it..

oh--he is going to poop now.. have to cheer him on, and wipe him off.. -- success!! another 4 x 1/2 inches!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.