Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom , I don't know whether you've tried this, or whether it's worth anything, but I think I ought to mention it.

Some time ago I ran into a video by a vet on how to pill a cat, and part of his technique could apply to liquid meds. After this vet gets the pill onto the back of the cat's tongue, he holds the cat's mouth shut with one hand and uses the other to gently stroke the cat's throat until the cat swallows. And the way he knows for sure that the cat actually has swallowed is that the cat licks its nose. (Unfortunately, I don't remember how the cat was managing that with its mouth clamped shut. It could be the difference between a pill and a liquid, that the mouth doesn't have to be so tightly shut with a pill.)

:think: Maybe I should be checking out helpful YouTube videos about giving liquid medications to recalcitrant cats.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just been checking YouTube. One of the videos featured towel wrapping -- four tries of towel wrapping! It was not helpful. One featured tuna water, and also seemed less than useful. The best one seems to be this:

I like the fact that she's managing to keep the cat from spitting it out, and that the cat didn't aspirate the meds.

I hope this is useful.

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was relying on my e-mails for updates but for some odd reason wasn't receiving them. I should have known better and checked this thread sooner. :doh: It sounds like Artie is a good combat artist and has the strength to resist his meds. Hope you enjoyed your plans/outing yesterday and it was for something enjoyable. I promise to check in more regularly for updates and always to lend my support. :hugs: Fingers crossed you got a good night's sleep and woke up without any fur in your face or on your pillow. :wink:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Margret Margret That is how I give the smaller amounts of liquid. The problem is, the lactulose is given in 3-4 cc doses.. too much to squirt in his mouth without creating a flood.

Artie is very good with the liquid Cisapride, and any other meds. It is the lactulose which is a major issue. Missing a few teeth does not help either.

Artie is Artie.
He surprised me with the amount of stool, last night.. Again, I was trying to get him to poop earlier in the evening, because I knew he needed to go. I wanted to get comfy and read.

He did poop... I could not believe how much came out! It is a new record for him!
He kept pooping and pooping... a total of 14 inches!!!! OMG!! I could not believe my eyes..

His belly is now collapsed in.. not as round as it was yesterday!!!

Artie ate the same amount yesterday. 1 can and 1/3 cup of food.

For some strange reason, he is not hungry this morning... I called him, took an open can of food over to him, even tried picking him up in one hand while holding on to the food dish in the other.. Artie just walked away! This is a first also...sigh I tried this at 7:30am. It is now almost 9 am, and he is still not hungry...

Wonder what is going on with him.

He is sunning himself now.

I am washing a throw, which he let a few 'gifts' on before he pooped... and one 'gift' during the night.

Artie's poops are so smelly. I dumped and cleaned his box last week.. and it really stinks now.. I use Precious Cats litter, usually changing out every 3 weeks, and adding more litter in between cleanings. I think it is the food... not the best food around, but it is the best for him..

Artie is now doing a switcheroo with his 2 litter boxes.. the usual one is currently just for
Pee, with the extra one for poop!! crazy cat.

I wonder if probiotics would help with the stink? Now that I have a good idea of the amount of lactulose which is needed with this amount of food, I hate to introduce anything else into the mix. I will ask the NVet about it.

For some strange reason, While I was reading, I came down with a headache. I am glad it was after Artie did his enormous poop. It was actually around the time he was pooping.

It was too early to officially go to sleep, and too early for Artie's last dose of cisapride, so I just lied down on top of the bed, with the throw over me, with the local classical music station on the radio.

Of course, my shadow, came over and cuddled with me. I was so tired, Artie actually scared me when he jumped on the bed, above my head, with his 'Brrrruppp'...
I jumped... but Artie was unperturbed. He continued to do his thing.. walking all over and around me, looking for a spot. He ended up curled up right next to my lower back (I was on my side).

I woke up at midnight, Artie still in position. I was napping for a couple of hours.

Artie was so shocked that I had the nerve to give him cisapride, that he jumped off my bed, not returning at all....
still sunning himself...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He did poop... I could not believe how much came out! It is a new record for him! He kept pooping and pooping... a total of 14 inches!!!! OMG!! I could not believe my eyes..

Of course, my shadow, came over and cuddled with me. I was so tired.
:clap:for pooping Artie and hitting an all time record! :clap2: Regarding the odor after he poops maybe Artie should watch the short video of this new bathroom product, lol. :flail:

Cuddles for mom is Artie's specialty. :itslove:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie vomited up a bit of bile this morning... sigh....

It is 2pm and still no food.. I am about to give him a Cerenia...sigh...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Artie has a bit of stomach upset this morning (all right, afternoon -- I just got up half an hour ago and haven't had my coffee yet). Normally I wouldn't worry about that, but this is Artie. Isn't one of those expensive meds supposed to be good for that?

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just been checking YouTube. One of the videos featured towel wrapping -- four tries of towel wrapping! It was not helpful. One featured tuna water, and also seemed less than useful. The best one seems to be this:

I like the fact that she's managing to keep the cat from spitting it out, and that the cat didn't aspirate the meds.

I hope this is useful.

Margret
She certainly made that easier! And for those of you familiar with my "wanderers," that cat is a DEAD RINGER for Midnight Louie!

artiemom artiemom How is Our Boy's tummy doing? I know that any upset is a cause for concern...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up giving Artie both an anti-nausea drug this afternoon and the appetite stimulant tonight. He ate hardly anything at all.. and no poops.. I think he is pooped out from yesterday, but he should be feeling empty and wanting food.

I will see what happens today.

I cannot sleep. I do not know why.

I will be out of the house most of the day... I probably will not post to at least late afternoon. I will leave food out for Artie.

He managed to eat 3/4 of a can of food.. and 1/4 cup of dry. down by quite bit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Try to enjoy your day out and if you have a chance check back with us later. Glad Artie ate some of his canned and dry food even if it was down by quite a bit. Artie's Army is steadfast. :hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Artie's Army! :salute:

Artie did poop yesterday, about 4.5 inches, normal looking.

I was gone for most of the day. I did stop in quickly for 15 minutes, mid-day.

Artie has eaten almost an entire 6 oz can of food. He has been hiding in his tent, sleeping.

No poops...
I did leave some dry food out, also-- he is refusing it. He did not eat much of it during the night; only 1/4 cup instead of 1/3 cup. Hopefully, he is not getting tired of it.

He was shocked when I gave him his lactulose, late this afternoon. He did take it a bit better. I also used a new syringe. It was easier to control the flow rate, not to fast, and I could slow it down a bit... so 4 cc of lactulose today.

The NVet's secretary is on vacation this week. She told me to call in twice while she was away, to leave an update. I called in early this morning; very hard to leave a message that is texted..

I think there was some kind of loss in translation. I left the message with the front desk around 7:30am; at 8:20, the NVet was calling me to clarify things. He is so nice.. He thought I was panicking because of yesterday. so kind of him. He wanted to reassure me.
I really love this guy. I told him I was not panicking, just updating him. He said it is ok to go one or two days cutting back on some food.. longer than that is time to begin to get concerned... Man, I am so grateful that I have this Vet...

He said I did the right thing by giving him the Cerenia and the Cyproheptadine yesterday. We do not want Artie to associate a tummy ache of any kind with his food.

As long as I have enough of Meds in the house for Artie, I am all set.

I am so tired.. Had a really good day, though.. Went to hairdresser in the morning, then out for a late lunch with a couple of really NEW friends.. It was fun...

I think I am going to just fall asleep very soon.. only one more med for Artie, and that is late tonight...

Artie does need to poop... I do like to see some production, every day.
Just relaxing right now...

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Randomly checking in again.
neely neely , I also don't get thread updates in email, like I used to. Ever since the new site format. I've only gotten a couple, & that's it!
Not making me a fan of the changes!
So, sorry I haven't checked in more as well. Im not on the site as much as I used to be. Especially not getting the emails.
Anyway, sorry you're having a tough time w/ Artie & the meds. ...but yaaaay for the ginormus poopie! Hopefully things will get back to normal soon. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am so tired.. Had a really good day, though.. Went to hairdresser in the morning, then out for a late lunch with a couple of really NEW friends.. It was fun...
So happy to hear this, there's nothing like going to the hairdresser and getting pampered for a nice pick-me-up. :thumbsup: Plus a bonus of lunch with new friends afterwards. What could be better except, of course, Artie pooping? But a nice day out means so much right now. Fingers crossed Artie pooped last night. :crossfingers:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Artie's Army!

Artie did end up pooping, later last night. A total of 12 inches between the 2 episodes.

I let him free feed yesterday. He ate 1 1/3, 6 oz cans of food and 1/4 cup of the dry.
He seems to prefer the wet over the dry.. but I am continuing to leave out the dry for nighttime. This way, I feel he gets a variety.

This morning, upon awakening, I was sitting in the bathroom. Artie, silently came over and sat in front of me. I had my eyes closed. When I opened them, he was in front of me, looking at me. I said Good Morning! He gave me a 'Meow"...

He followed me in all upon awakening procedures: shutting off the night lights, scooping his box, into the kitchen to pick up his food dish. He was watching me get his morning meds ready, as soon as he realized what I was doing, he walked away!! I saw him sitting outside his bathroom door. I asked if he wanted to 'dig'.. he looked at me, walked into the bathroom, looked at his box, walked it. I asked if he was 'playing or if he wanted to dig, dig?"... I stood in the doorway, and watched. Sometimes Artie will go into his box, trying to escape the medications. I just stood there. He, very slowly, started digging... I waited..
Finally, when I saw he was serious, I encouraged him on, with "Dig, Dig, dig"...

Artie proceeded to eliminate 7 x 1 inches of poop!! On Demand!!! Of course, he had to back talk me when I was encouraging him... a "hrump"--- a if to say, 'What do you think I am doing"... He is such a character...and our bond is really strong.

He ate 1/4 can of food for breakfast. I got up late, so it is going to be a very lazy day for me, as usual... Perhaps I will see if I can sit outside for a bit.. and read. That is, if it is not too humid or raining. It rained a bit early morning, and is scheduled to rain tonight; so we will see.. I seem to be sitting on my butt a lot lately.. I really do not feel like cleaning..
I may try to put on a pair of sneakers, for an hour or so.. to see how the toe feels.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail:

Then What am I??? President XXX ????
You are Chancellor to Emperor Artie.

What I want to know is who is HRH Hekitty?

I just realized -- those ROFL emojis would look like a chorus line if you turned them upright.

Margret
HRH Hekitty is just exactly as you said, HRH Hekitty. One of the Royal Family, but not directly in line for the throne.

BESTEST news about Artie, and OH how I laughed at his grumbling at you in the bathroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.