Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another quick update:
Artie ate the one 6 oz can during the day and almost a 1/2 cup during the night.
He mostly licked at the juice of the food this morning.

Artie left me alone yesterday... He was terrible medicating. I think I got in a partial dose of the cisapride, because he moved his head. Half a dose in his mouth the other half on the side of his face.. hopefully, he licked it off.

Also, had a bad experience with the lactulose yesterday. Artie would not swallow the first part of the dose. He kept it in his mouth, leaking out between his teeth. I had to keep opening his mouth, wiping his teeth, wiping his mouth.. before I gave him the rest of the dose.. At this point, he arched his head back so far, that he closed off his esophagus, and the dose was aspirated!! I felt horrible!! He was coughing up a blue streak!!! I kept patting him, trying for him to cough it up... it was wild....and scary for me... He was ok after a while, but it was frightening.

I also had to follow him around, looking at the puddles from where he tried spitting up the lactulose.. sigh...

not a good day...

Artie pooped only 4 x 1 inch... not enough, that is why I tried to double the dose of lactulose..

today, I am going to give it in 2 doses.
OMC! I am scared just reading this. How terrible! I hope that never happens again! I know cats can be very stubborn when it comes to medicine. *I would be, too* Does putting it on his paw ever work? This is one thing I used to do when they would be very stubborn, and it usually worked because cats are so clean and they do not like having anything on their fur.
At least Artie ate well, though, which is always cause for smiles! May today be a much better day for you both. ;):cutecat:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to try the lactulose again... in a few minutes...
no, paws do not help, he just shakes it all over the place, in addition, it is too much liquid to put on a paw. It is not like laxatone. This is like Corn Syrup.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Cindy :hugs: It's just awful when they fight you with meds like that :( Cali used to be the same with me, and I'm amazed he never aspirated any by mistake. It happens, hun :alright: Artie is so lucky to have you - no one could possibly do more or be more attentive or tuned-in to their kitty than you are with him :rock:

I hope take #2 with the lactulose went better :crossfingers::vibes:

Hang in there hun - we're all rooting for you and Artie :redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump:

As for you, Sir Artie - be a good boy for your mom, take your meds nicely, and keep eating that food and pooping it out!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the means to research it now, but years ago I read an article that the changes to neck anatomy necessary for the complexity of human speech meant the split between the windpipe and the esophagus was moved much closer to the mouth. Having the split a lot farther down meant it was nearly impossible for other animals to aspirate food and water.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the means to research it now, but years ago I read an article that the changes to neck anatomy necessary for the complexity of human speech meant the split between the windpipe and the esophagus was moved much closer to the mouth. Having the split a lot farther down meant it was nearly impossible for other animals to aspirate food and water.
Interesting, but here is an exception, unfortunately. May that never happen again! I know myself how awful it is when this happens.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would imagine that the "exception" is rooted in the fact that the cat in question is not lapping the liquid, but must have it syringed. The entire mechanics changes.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Inky never did, despite having asthma and having many hoarse coughing choking eoisides. He was always fine from pills, and spitting out pills and boy did he hate that pill gun! Even tame, he'd bat me left hooks and right hooks and drool everywhere and spit like a camel and scratch and draw blood even with the nail caps and bite with his two remaining teeth. And all this was locked in a tiny bathroom!!! I felt like I was in a wrestling match with a top wrestler who also fought dirty with teeth and nails!!! I'd scramble out of there sweating, bleeding from multiple places, hair flying or undone if braided, out of breath like I'd just run a marathon, clothes torn, ridiculous for a 11-13 pound cat.
He'd be fine despite his asthma and many health issues, glaring and cranky till I gave him a fresh can and a belly rub and apologized for abusing him (never mind my many new scars and wounds!!!). Then he'd trot back to bed with me and headbutt my face and kiss and lick my cheeks and even mouth with that deep rumble purr and literally wrap himself around my arm or head like he could never get close enough, drooling all over me and everything.

Treasure every second with Artie you can because you never know how many are left.
But eating, drinking and pooping are good signs. I hope he's peeing normally too?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to combine the past couple of days, while I am waiting for the fluid bag to warm up.

Artie is now cutting back on his food intake. sigh! This is his habit... just when I am about ready to order a case, he gets sick of it.

He did not have much stool yesterday, just 6 x 1 inches at night.

Early this morning, before 4AM, he must have had the lasted BM. He had the zoomies all over the apartment, except for my bedroom. I finally had to get up to quiet him down!

There was a 6 inch clump of soft poop in the box! and a present on the litter mat and another one on his quilt.

Yesterday, I took a quiet day. I was emotionally drained from some drama which I will not go into, on here.

I did lie down for a bit.. no sleep. Later in the afternoon, my colitis hit.. It must have been from the emotional stress of Thursday and Friday. I did lie down for a while. Artie left me alone.. still not eating.

He does want different food. He will run over when he hears me in the kitchen, or when I call him for food, but the intake is 1/2 as much as before...sigh.. this is with the wet and the dry...

I was up late watching old movies on TCM.....tired, so I will nap soon.

Artie will just be without food for a while.. see if that helps or just re-inforces his tummy to shrink even more...

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to combine the past couple of days, while I am waiting for the fluid bag to warm up.

Artie is now cutting back on his food intake. sigh! This is his habit... just when I am about ready to order a case, he gets sick of it.

He did not have much stool yesterday, just 6 x 1 inches at night.

Early this morning, before 4AM, he must have had the lasted BM. He had the zoomies all over the apartment, except for my bedroom. I finally had to get up to quiet him down!

There was a 6 inch clump of soft poop in the box! and a present on the litter mat and another one on his quilt.

Yesterday, I took a quiet day. I was emotionally drained from some drama which I will not go into, on here.

I did lie down for a bit.. no sleep. Later in the afternoon, my colitis hit.. It must have been from the emotional stress of Thursday and Friday. I did lie down for a while. Artie left me alone.. still not eating.

He does want different food. He will run over when he hears me in the kitchen, or when I call him for food, but the intake is 1/2 as much as before...sigh.. this is with the wet and the dry...

I was up late watching old movies on TCM.....tired, so I will nap soon.

Artie will just be without food for a while.. see if that helps or just re-inforces his tummy to shrink even more...
:lovecat2: :grouphug: :alright: :grouphug2: :hearthrob::redheartpump: :vibes::vibes::vibes::winkcat::catrub:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats (at least, all the cats I've known) insist on some variety in their diet, and I don't blame them in the least. I wonder, if there's only the one flavor of W/D available in a protein that Artie isn't allergic to, what would happen if you alternated feeding Artie the W/D and some of the other foods that he likes? The W/D can't do Artie much good if he refuses it; if the other foods made Artie feel that he was getting some variety he might be a lot more interested in the W/D when you do feed it, and in between he wouldn't be totally without calories coming in. You may want to run it by the NVet and see what he says.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.