Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
@LotsOfFur ((hugs)) to you... good luck with your love...

Artie: This is a long story.. everything I write is long..

Prelude: I am an only child. My dad lived with me. He was cognizant up until 1.5 days before he passed. He lived with me. He went into the hospital 2 days before he passed; even though he was under hospice care, I was not able to adequately take care of him alone, any longer.. I needed help, and my dad really needed help and comfort..I had to convinced, strongly that I was doing the right thing.. I swear the hospice nurse was a real life Angel...she was so understanding..

I am grateful that I had an opportunity to know my dad as a 'person', not just as my father. We talked a ton about everything. My dad died on Jan 3, 2012. I still miss him a lot.

I brought up the idea of adopting a cat with my dad, around September, in 2011. My dad told me to wait until after he was gone. He said he was afraid of a cat and his walker. That is where the idea came into my head.

Early March of 2012, I felt I was ready and really needed company. I needed a cat in my life. I contacted the humane society, on a Saturday evening. I left a VM message. A woman returned my call a couple hours later. Sunday at 11am I went to meet a cat whom she felt was 'perfect' for me in my position. I wanted a cat around 5 years old.. someone trained..

When I met Artie, he was in a foster home, down the cellar. Yes, cellar, in a cage. There were other cats in the house also.

I was kind of shocked to hear his story: Artie was owned by an elderly couple. The husband passed around November. The Wife passed around December. An adult daughter took Artie in; actually snuck him into her apartment. She already had a cat and a dog, so Artie was really illegal. Her landlord found out, and told her she had to get rid of one of her pets. She was heartbroken. She had to give Artie up. He was the youngest of the bunch, 8 years old.

She felt so bad about this. She even brought in some food for Artie, a clean litter box for his new owner, an old baby blanket which was his, and made the foster mom promise that he would go to a 'good' home.

My heart melted when I heard this story.. and the similarities to mine with my dad.

When I saw Artie, My heart skipped a few beats.. Artie was Orange!! My last cat, was an orange female... I honestly felt it was a match made in heaven; with divine intervention.
He was a lot older than what I wanted, but his story tugged at me....

No, Artie did not jump into my lap or even notice me; but I knew it was meant to be.

I agreed to the adoption, ran over to PetSmart to pick up the necessities and to set up my apartment.
At 3pm, I signed the papers. Artie was mine!!

I let him lose in the apartment, showing him where everything was located. I had a dinner plan with my cousin. I left Artie alone in my apartment, to get used to it. He had free reign.

I cut my dinner plans short. Artie was hiding in my dad's room, which I made into his play room.

That night, still grieving for my dad; I was lying on the coach covered with a quilt.
Artie came right over, jumped on top of me, sniffed, started kneading, purring... and I melted into tears...
That was it.....5 years ago...
:grouphug::alright::grouphug2::sunshine::lovecat2::winkcat::catrub:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone.. thanks again for all the well wishes and prayers.

Artie: Well, he is not eating as much as he has the past few days, New Food (W/D).
He has been eating 2 cans during the day and 1/4 cup of the dry during the night.

He is getting constipated again!!! never ends.. therefore, he is not eating as much. Not even one full can today; and it is after 6pm.

He did not poop much today, only 4 inches x 1 inch which was dry and hard. Pushing lactulose on him. Perhaps it is from the change in food. Who knows, with this cat. Or it is from giving the wet and then the dry.. I do add extra water which is mixed with Miralax, in his wet food.

Artie did want a bit of brushing today; not much, but a bit. He stayed in his quilt tent all day. I steam washed the laminate in the great room. Artie did not move.

Artie is still so alert, so fun of life.

All I have to do is call him for his food, and he comes running!!
I am not leaving food down as I had before. I am giving him food every 2-3 hours or so. He is not having it at his 'whim'. A slightly different tactic. We will see.

He needs a good poop...

Up early this morning. It has been a long day.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a new tactic. I am not leaving any food out until later; perhaps he will be hungry enough to eat it then?

I was out of the house for a couple hours. Artie came to greet me, begging for food. I put his plate down. It was in the microwave. He did not even walk over to it. He knew what it contained. Now he is hiding in his tent.

I have not heard from the NVet... left another message with Sec. Either he is going to call me, or she is planning on calling me later, or he is not in....strange..

I am not having a good feeling about this.

I honestly feel as if I am starving this poor cat. I know he needs the prescription food, but if he is not eating it, what can I do? I have tried everything I, and everyone else, can think of--- all to no avail....

Thinking that we are getting closer to the end.. I mean, if he does not eat the only food which improves his medical issues, then how can he live? We do not have any other food options; tried all of them, and nothing works...

It really bothers me to see him so skinny.. giving him an appetite stimulant, yet he is refusing to eat the food I am giving him... he must be so confused... and so hungry..
I feel so bad for him... he is really breaking my heart at this point. And no poops either... that makes it even worse...

Artie does not want to be brushed anymore. I tried 3 days in a row, and he jumps right down.. We used to love that time.. He would purr, and purr, and even drool.. he loves it..but now, he is refusing it also..
:alright:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I know this might sound like a silly idea but it works on my cat. Buzz is not a good eater and often walks away from his food. I get on my hands and knees in front of his food dish and pretend I am going to eat it. When curiosity brings him to the bowl to look at what I have, I talk any old rubbish and while I talk, eats. He will eat some, start to walk away and I tell him if he eats more he can have a treat...he eats more. If anyone saw me, they would send for the men in white coats but who cares, we will do what it takes.
:lol: :lol2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I just tried the sitting on the floor, pretending to eat... he walked away...
The problem is: if he eats the other food, he will not poop. That is the bottom line. No prescription food, no poop, he is miserable, he will not eat, he will vomit. He will need an enema.. after enema, after enema.. his colon will stretch out more. No matter how much more miralax or lactulose I give him, it will stop working.

He will have constant dribbling. and be miserable ... cramps and vomiting..

As I stated a couple weeks ago; We are at the end, medically with him. We cannot increase the dose of anything, without bad side effects to either his heart or kidneys.

Artie is literally starving himself to death.. I mean it.. and it is his doing; not mine. I have tried all that I can.. I do not know what else to do..

unless I just let him really starve... see how low his weight does go before he eats his prescription food???? or he gets hepatic lipidosis.

sorry if I sound nasty.. I am just upset.. trying to keep my cool.

If I give him a can of tuna, he will want tuna, until he gets constipated (sick). Then he will associate that food with him getting sick. Then that food is off limits ... and he will become constipated, no matter what I do .. no matter what I try adding to his food, Miralax, Benefiber, Psylium seeds, etc... he will sniff it out and refuse the food....

If by any chance, he poops, it will be from diarrhea... and he will be miserable from the cramps, constant dripping.

I think I will not respond to this thread for a while, until I can control myself a bit... teary eyed...
:alright::grouphug::grouphug2:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
hey Artie's Army!! time for a quick update:

Artie was pooping a tiny bit, all day. His stool is a very thick, black color, which crumbled when I picked it up. I attribute that to the change in food. I dosed him with a ton of lactulose yesterday, and miralax.

He ate 1 1/3 cans of wet food yesterday (6 oz) cans... About 7 inches total of stool.

I woke up to 10 inches of a hard stool, but not as hard as yesterdays, and not as thick, in the litter box, and not as black.

He also licked his bowl clean from the night, 1/3 of a large can.

So far, he has eaten 2/3 of a 6 oz can of food. I am not completely free feeding him. I am giving him 1/3 a can every 3 hours or so...I may leave some dry food down for him tonight, as a variety.

He has re-gained a bit of weight, now at 10.3 lbs... Thursday, he was at 9.7lbs

Now it is time for his sub-q's and for me to start "my Real" day.....

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that you have written only good news, haven't you?
Please, let Artie's bowels have the time to adjust to the multiple changes in his diet.
I'm glad to read that he's eating and pooping. These events might not be perfect, but the world isn't a perfect place. Give Artie some time to find a new balance.
Come on Artie's, your army has hundreds soldiers, you can't lose the battle!

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

Artie was pooping a tiny bit, all day. His stool is a very thick, black color, which crumbled when I picked it up. I attribute that to the change in food. I dosed him with a ton of lactulose yesterday, and miralax.

He ate 1 1/3 cans of wet food yesterday (6 oz) cans... About 7 inches total of stool.

I woke up to 10 inches of a hard stool, but not as hard as yesterdays, and not as thick, in the litter box, and not as black.

So far, he has eaten 2/3 of a 6 oz can of food. I am not completely free feeding him. I am giving him 1/3 a can every 3 hours or so...I may leave some dry food down for him tonight, as a variety.

:wave3::dance::party3::woohoo::winkcat::lovecat2:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A pretty good report which I'm sure we are all very grateful for! I got an email which contained this, and thought of you:
The Science Behind Feline Finickiness and What to do About It

I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but it's not a long read. Sounds like Artie is doing quite well on his own today, though!

I just read your story of your dad and how you adopted Artie. It really resonates with me. My folks were cat people from long lines of cat people and their cat was 3 when I was born, so I was always "with cat". My mom passed several years before my dad, who developed the need to go into assisted living. So some of the experiences you had, I've had as well, along with the feelings. We really are part of a universal community here, of cat loving people. I think it's wonderful, don't you?

Best wishes for a great day for you and Artie!:D:cutecat:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't been around I've had my own issues with leaking water softener and wet floors.

I love a good story like Sir Artie's. God bless you for taking him in. When I worked at PetSmart I saw so many people not even pay a passing glance to the older cats. IDK why people don't want the adults and special needs cats. After my experience with Indy The Terrible I really don't want another kitten/teenager.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't been around I've had my own issues with leaking water softener and wet floors.

I love a good story like Sir Artie's. God bless you for taking him in. When I worked at PetSmart I saw so many people not even pay a passing glance to the older cats. IDK why people don't want the adults and special needs cats. After my experience with Indy The Terrible I really don't want another kitten/teenager.
Personally, I love ALL cats, of ALL species, and ALL ages. Presently there are 3 "mature" cats in our family, from 10-14. They are sweet, playful, gorgeous, and everything little cats are, only bigger!:cutecat::kneading::lovecat3:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Knowing Artie and you, artiemom artiemom , has been, and continues to be, such a blessing in my life. I want you to know that to the depths of your very being, both of you. Since coming to know Artie, I have become more and more sure that someday (let it be many years yet, please), when Hekitty is chasing butterflies at the bridge waiting for me, I shall invite an older cat to share my home and my heart. Or perhaps just an incredibly unattractive one that no one else would want.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowing Artie and you, artiemom artiemom , has been, and continues to be, such a blessing in my life. I want you to know that to the depths of your very being, both of you. Since coming to know Artie, I have become more and more sure that someday (let it be many years yet, please), when Hekitty is chasing butterflies at the bridge waiting for me, I shall invite an older cat to share my home and my heart. Or perhaps just an incredibly unattractive one that no one else would want.
*Butting in unasked* Just wanted to say that there are no unattractive cats, and that ALL cats are wanted and loved by me and many others. But that's a great sentiment and may it manifest in due time! :lovecat4:

Status
Not open for further replies.